Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dunlop Sportmax Sportsmart or Michelin Pilot Power 3s...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunlop Sportmax Sportsmart or Michelin Pilot Power 3s...

I'm heading to Champions on Sunday and it will most likely be the last time for my current Michelin Power Pures. I've always had the thought that I'd just go the Power 3s when the time comes but I've just realised that I could get a set of the Sportsmarts at Champions fitted for $445 compared to $540 for the Power 3s at a reputable tyre shop.
    Should I just hold out for the Power 3s or are the Dunlops a decent tyre? I'm pretty much a 85% road 15% trackday rider on a 2010 R1. Haven't heard too much about the Dunlops and can't really find too much info on the web. Please share your knowledge if you have any regarding these two tyres?

I quite like Dunlops but I've only tried the sportmax which is more on the same level as the Power 3's.

Sportsmarts are more biased towards road riding if that helps at all.
    Originally posted by Desmo
    Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Power 3s are 85/15 road biased. What are the Dunlops? Thought they were about the same as the Sportmax Q2s are a 50/50 tyre...

Comment

Depending on how you ride and how often , I can only comment on the Michys
        the Pure loose heat fast, a great summer tyre and a great track tyre IMO
        But a deadly winter tyre.

the threes heat up in meters, hold the heat well and good, I do find the transition between compounds a bit squirmy when pushed in the wet but they stuck fine on the softer compound, it' did at first seam a bit un nerving .
        havent had the threes very long , I work month on month off so with the wether this year I have had a month in the cold wet, a month warm .
        So far I am impressed .
        REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
        (anarchy in english )

Comment

We would be using the Sportmax Sportsmart on a couple of our bikes, if JW stocked them, they have a very high rating, I'm using the level down (Roadsmart) on my every day ride and they are brilliant, the 3's would be on a par with them.

Are they Q2's or Q3's that they are quoting on?

At that price difference you could try the Dunlops, then swap over later, find the brand that suits your riding style

Meet the all-new Dunlop Sportmax Q3, the next-generation sport tire featuring Dunlop’s new Carbon Fiber Technology (CFT).[*]Dunlop’s Carbon Fiber Technology (CFT) uses carbon fiber reinforcement in the tire sidewalls for exceptional cornering performance and feel.[*]Aggressive new Q3 tread pattern uses fewer grooves that are longer in length to enhance wet-weather performance.[*]Intuitive Response Profile™ (IRP) technology in the rear tire allows greater latitude in line choice while cornering, plus amazingly linear steering.[*]MT Multi-Tread™ technology in the rear tire uses a tough, long-wearing compound in the center of the tread for excellent traction and longer tread life, plus special lateral grip compounds for outstanding grip.[*]New Q3 tire compounds were derived from road-race compounds to yield maximum sportbike performance.[*]The Dunlop Sportmax Q3 offers superb grip, stability, steering feel and longevity on the street and on the track.[*]Designed, tested and manufactured in America, the Sportmax Q3 sets new standards for high-performance sport tires.
          The Dunlop Sportmax Q2 motorcycle tire incorporates race-tested advancements that add up to a vastly superior motorcycle tire equally at home on the street or the track. Intuitive Response Profile (IRP) allows greater latitude in line choice while cornering and provides amazingly linear steering at all lean angles. Dunlop's long term experience in manufacturing street bike motorcycle tires allows them to provide a superior motorcycle tire that you can trust to get you there and back.
          Radical profile puts down a bigger footprint at extreme lean angles, while also allowing higher corner speeds to provide substantially better grip and handling.
          Dunlop's advanced Multi-Tread technology combines the benefits of a tough, long-wearing center compound for increased mileage with a special lateral-grip compound on each shoulder for superior cornering traction.
          Carcass construction in both the front and rear tires includes continuous hex beads that are both lighter and stronger to enhance steering response in the front tire and increase cornering stability in both tires.
          The Q2 rear motorcycle tire features a stiffer version of Dunlop's Jointless Band (JL construction that utilizes a continuously wound aramid belt for reduced carcass distortion, plus stiffer overall construction to meet high-performance demands and provide a more consistent contact patch.

You know the PP3 is slightly upgraded from the Pilot Power 2CT, in as much as it is the wet weather variant!

[*]2CT+ on rear tire enhances tread rigidity and cornering stability: Extends harder compound underneath the softer shoulder compound for added cornering stability – especially when accelerating out of turns.[*]Casing profile optimized for excellent feedback and handling.[*]All-new compounds for maximum wet grip: more than 4.5 seconds per lap faster on a wet track than MICHELIN® Pilot® Power 2CT tires.[*]Semi slick tread design maximizes contact patch for excellent dry grip: more than 4 seconds faster on a dry track than MICHELIN® Pilot® Power 2CT tires.[*]W-rated for speeds up to 168mph.
          I'm just quoting JW though

Comment

Just the sportmax sportsmart as they are a bit more road biased (I assume) than the Q2s which are a 50% road 50% track. I'm assuming the Q3s are even more track focused with the 'carbon fibre technology' but I haven't even read about them.

Comment

Power 3s seem better than pures to me so far. Road use...

And road/power 3s aren't a wet weather only tyre. They are improved vs previous generation in the wet. Not crippled in the dry....

Depending on how many Kay's you do maybe consider something track focused like power race? You say 85/15 in favor of road but if I had that ratio is have done 20,000km at barbs by now.... :-P

Have run pilot race on the road on my rgv, they stick like shit to a blanket and will probably handle track temps better.
              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I've heard the Michelin PRs also come up to temp really fast too. Power Pure vs Power 3 is a subjective comparison I suppose. As far as I can tell, the essential difference is that the PPs have a wider section of softer rubber on the edges and hence a narrower section of harder compound in the middle. Heard lots of good things about the Dunlop Sportmax, but with tires costing what they do to replace I'm not often inclined to experiment when I go shopping for new rubber. Longevity and wet weather performance are irrelevant to a weekend warrior/fair weather fairy like me
                I'm looking for a beautiful woman with a sick mind.

Comment

I literally do a short commute 12kms a day during the week and try to get to the track whenever I can. No long weekend or country rides for me in the foreseeable future either. So maybe I should be leaning towards a 50/50 tyre instead..

Comment

Anyone know what the Q2s are like in the wet?

Comment

Havent owned or ridden either, so cant help there... But with that kind of split, would you consider or did you get a price on the Pirelli Supercorsa?

Not a great wet weather tyre at all, but they are a great in the dry!
                      Id say a particularly good tyre for a mix of street and track duties.

Comment

Sportsmart = Sportmax Q2 for the Euro market (where Q2 is for the American market). A bit better wet performance than the Q2, and not much else different. They're great tyres, on about the same level as a Pilot Power range. I've been running Q2/Sportsmart on everything but the racebike for a few years now (commute, wet commute, FNR, country run, trackdays). Grippy from the start and haven't put a foot wrong.

From a purely wet perspective, I can't say I've had any problems. But the only tyre I've tried and really hated in the wet was the Diablo Rosso Corsa.
                        Insert witty comment here

Comment

According to Champions you can purchase either the Sportmax Sportsmart's or Sportmax Q2's.

http://championsridedays.com.au/port...st_2013_wa.pdf

Only reason I'm thinking about the Dunlops [MENTION=29534]Dirty32[/MENTION] is literally the price as they'll be $75 cheaper to buy and fit at Champions than to purchase at say Tyres for Bikes. It's also possible that I may need new tyres to complete the track day depending on how the Pures go down there.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson View Post
                            Sportsmart = Sportmax Q2 for the Euro market (where Q2 is for the American market). A bit better wet performance than the Q2, and not much else different. They're great tyres, on about the same level as a Pilot Power range. I've been running Q2/Sportsmart on everything but the racebike for a few years now (commute, wet commute, FNR, country run, trackdays). Grippy from the start and haven't put a foot wrong.

From a purely wet perspective, I can't say I've had any problems. But the only tyre I've tried and really hated in the wet was the Diablo Rosso Corsa.
                            Ahh okay, so the Sportsmarts are pretty much the same as the Q2s but with increased grip in the wet? Whatgives way for the increased wet grip? dry grip? are they using different compounds? because the tread patterns look to be identical..

Comment

Also just had word from Champions that they won't be selling Q3s as they prefer to stock the Sportsmarts instead. Strange that they never mentioned the Q2 as the Q3 is the successor to that tyre.

Comment

Working...
                              X