No announcement yet.

So, "undercover" bikes are a thing now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, "undercover" bikes are a thing now.

Welp, there's something else to keep an eye out for eh?

WA camera cops to target texting drivers

WA camera cops to target texting drivers

Motorists using their mobile phones while driving on Perth roads this Christmas will be targeted by unmarked police motorcycles ridden by officers sporting helmet-cams to record the offence.
    In a bid to reduce the growing problem of texting and driving, WA Police Commissioner Karl O'Callaghan announced the unmarked bikes would be used to spot any drivers distracted by their phones.
    The initiative will be part of this year's road safety campaign, nicknamed "Operation Crossroads".

"We will use unmarked motorcycles for the first time to focus on distracted drivers," Mr O'Callaghan told 6PR radio.

"It will be almost impossible to spot the police officer before they get to them. I predict we are going to catch a lot of people."

Anyone caught using their phone while driving will get six demerit points, as part of holiday double demerit point penalties, which begin in WA on Friday.
    In WA, it is also illegal to text while stationary at traffic lights.
    The unmarked motorcycles will be smaller and more nimble than traditional police bikes, and will target major traffic routes in the WA capital.
    "I think it is one of the most arrogant things you can do in a motor vehicle, to put everyone else's life at risk for what is probably a meaningless communication exchange," Mr O'Callaghan.
    "But I don't hold out much hope that we are going to squash this culture very quickly, because it is so ingrained."
    such comment
    wow
    many post

Don't trust any bike with a top box!
    Spiral out, keep going...

Comment

Wonder if the sneaky buggers will have fender eliminators and aftermarket pipes as part of the disguise ?

Comment

Wonder if they would like to come along on the FNR?
        B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mike View Post
          Wonder if they would like to come along on the FNR?
          What makes you think they haven't?
          *dun dun dun.....*
          If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided.

Comment

So will they fine themselves for splitting

Comment

So they've bought all the CT110's of australia post then?
              Originally posted by CBRsairz
              assume nothing Macca, I've totally been cockblocked before :spiteful:

Comment

Realistically they'd have to be ergonomicish if they're riding them all day to meet their OHS requirements (in addition to probably having to wear hi-vis vests over their gear), probably need to be relatively fuel efficient also.

So i'm going to tip the bike of choice will be a VFR800
                Originally posted by CBRsairz
                assume nothing Macca, I've totally been cockblocked before :spiteful:

Comment

I can't imagine they'll be anything other than unmarked Honda ST's, given they've had a shitload of them collecting dust in storage since we had a city full of political big-wigs.

No point changing what aint broken, and the bikes already meet all standards.
                  such comment
                  wow
                  many post

Comment

Definitely strapping on my GoPro this holidays, just for some lolz.

6 points is pretty full on. If you're going to lose your licence, at least do it having some fun (aka not texting).

Comment

I wonder weather this will have cause an increased rate of aggression towards bikes ( Especially those with cameras ) by some of our more talented road users.

Pretty stupid if they do and it does turn out to be the plod but to many fit that description to make much of a dent.

Full marks for attempting to do something about it though as long as they are not quickly diverted by the powers that be towards easier targets.
                      The Bend

Hurry Up!!!

Comment

Wow. Just saw 2 guys on a smallish bike go-proing like champs on William St. Four cameras - 2 on dash/screen, one on pillion helmet, and one in pillion's hand clearly filming a car. Surely not?!

Comment

This should be fun....One of my bikes is an old WAPol ST1100, still white....I ride with a hi vis vest....and I may or may not be getting an action cam for Xmas. When I ride the ST some people already move out of my way....even had people at intersections show me that they are wearing a seatbelt.....idiots...... noticed that i get a lot more nods from other riders when I am on my Blackbird.....;-)
                          Let him who desires peace prepare for war......

Comment

Originally posted by Macca View Post
                            Realistically they'd have to be ergonomicish if they're riding them all day to meet their OHS requirements (in addition to probably having to wear hi-vis vests over their gear), probably need to be relatively fuel efficient also.

So i'm going to tip the bike of choice will be a VFR800
                            Oi! Ruby does not want to be associated with Police activities in any way.

Why not a Hornet?
                            It didn't look that far on the map...

Comment

Originally posted by boeman View Post
                              If you're going to lose your licence, at least do it having some fun (aka not texting).
                              [MENTION=18896]ReCon[/MENTION]
                              Originally posted by Rich...
                              You got me in trouble...

Comment

Working...
                              X