Blowing Headlight Globes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blowing Headlight Globes

Need the collective wisdom of everyone on PSB.

2013 Z1000

x3 headlights globes have blown for the last 2 weeks.

Checked fuse and it's still in tack. At idle it seems ok but when I go about 5000 rpm it looks like that's when it blows.

From googling, I read that it looks like a failing regulator/rectifier..

Is this correct or can someone else confirm this diagnose?
    Going fast is not a problem, it's the sudden stopping that hurts a lot...

probably landing your wheelies too hard...

do you have an accurate voltmeter or mutlimeter? unless you're pumping out much larger voltage than the system is usually capable of the globe would generally just run brighter rather than blow, check the voltage at the headlight globe terminals.

is the globe mounting loose or vibrating? we go through half a dozen globes a month in volvo trucks at $20+ each because the metal mounting rattles and vibrates in the plastic housing.
    not that this information helps since we haven't actually found a solution in millions of kms over dozens of trucks.
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

I would put it down to vibration.

Comment

Vibration would be a pain...would have to take the whole thing off to make it tight. I'll measure the voltage with a mutimeter and report back

Comment

Check what voltage you get when you rev it above 5000rpm.
          "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Started up the bike and it's holding at 12.7V
            2000 rpm 14.5V
            5000 rpm 14.5V

turn off the bike and started it up again and it's stays at 14.5V

Comment

Do you clean the glass before putting them in and avoid touching the glass with fingers?

Comment

Yep. Never touch the glass. I even put on gloves every time I install globes.

Comment

Maybe due to the filament breaking inside from vibration, only cause I'd believe your headlight fuse would pop first if the rectifier was faulting.

Comment

Disposable latex gloves? If they're not then they may have residue on them, causing the globes to fail. I use a tissue or paper hand towel. Are they a good brand of globe?

I agree, test the reg/rec first.
                    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

Just don't touch the glass at all?
                      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

So I had a look at the latch which holds the globe in and it was not really holding the globe in a secured way compared to the high beam. Took it out and bend it so now the globe doesn't move at all. Hopefully it's the case and it doesn't blow up again.

Bought new globes and wore disposable latex gloves and installed them today. I'm really praying that this will solve it as the warranty on the bike just ended...

Comment

what brand globes are you using? personally i would only use phillips globes.

Comment

Have been using Philips but have Narva this time as that's all I could find in Supercheap auto

Comment

Unless they have changed supplier, Narva are rebranded Osram.
                              powerbulbs.com has good prices if you're willing to wait a bit. Which reminds me I should buy some new globes.

Comment

Working...
                              X