Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fork Seal drivers - where to buy in Perth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Seal drivers - where to buy in Perth?

Hey all, I need to buy a 43mm fork seal driver, hopefully today. Where can I find them in Perth?

Steve's Motorcycles Midland had some last time i was there. ( 3 months ago) and he may be open today.
    Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Just buy a PVC pipe joiner from Bunnings, cut it in half, tape or zip tie it around the tube and use a couple of bits of soft wood to push on it. Works fine.

Comment

Just buy the right tool, make sure you knock the top bush in before you try and fit the seal. If you must use pvc use the old seal above the new one so the pipe pushes on the old seal less chance of damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil-51 View Post
          Just buy a PVC pipe joiner from Bunnings, cut it in half, tape or zip tie it around the tube and use a couple of bits of soft wood to push on it. Works fine.
          Was what i used on my 900SS.

Worked a treat.

Comment

appropriate diameter socket on top of old seal on top of new one. has worked for me for years
            q
            bevel drive, belt drive, desmoquattro, testastretta, desmosedici....an evolution
            -> Triumph 675, a revolution and obsession
            __________________________________________________ _________________________

Comment

Originally posted by quattro750 View Post
              appropriate diameter socket on top of old seal on top of new one. has worked for me for years
              q
              You are showing your age. Tried it with USD?

Comment

yeah, need tube for usd,
                you're older tho
                q
                bevel drive, belt drive, desmoquattro, testastretta, desmosedici....an evolution
                -> Triumph 675, a revolution and obsession
                __________________________________________________ _________________________

Comment

Head to head on the senility test?

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions, I rang quite a number of places during the day, and Motomax in Osborne Park was able to get me one.

Yes I did consider the simple cheap PVC technique (again), but after having a fork seal in the past only last a week I thought I'd get the proper tool - just so I don't have myself to blame for doing a dodgy job

Comment

Good luck with the change. Make sure there are no small nicks in the tube that might damage the new seal and that the tubes are clean when you do the install. I very fine wet and dry paper will remove any edge from a stone chip in the tube. Use tape over any ridge when you slide the seal over the tube. Good quality seals are worth the money.

Comment

Originally posted by quattro750 View Post
                        q
                        Hmmm, sorry to dig up an old thread, but a how-to video I watched from Dave Moss (apparently some suspension expert from the States - Motorcycle Howto Video Downloads, DVDs, Roadracing Coverage, and Video Production) instructs the viewer to fit the seal into the outer tube before installing the inner tube. This is for a USD fork. I've also seen another YouTube vid where the guy does the same thing with USD fork.

Does anyone here do this with USD forks when installing new seals? Is this riskier because there is a higher chance of damaging the seal when installing the inner tube? To me this seems easier because I can use an appropriate diameter socket to drive the seal in, or a socket and the old seal as a sandwich, but would rather not if there is a high chance of damaging the seal when the inner tube goes in.

Comment

It depends on the fork...

Some forks the way the bushes are fitted to the upper tube and lower slider it doesn't allow you to fit the seal first as you can't get the bushes through the seal safely...

You have to fit the dust seal and seal arrangement on the slider, and the lower bush which fits into the upper tube, and then the slider bush that fits on the top of the slider...

You slide the slider into the tube, then knock the bottom bush in, then the seals...

It's a bit of a bitch, but some forks you have to do that way...

Other forks you can knock the bushes and seals in first and then fit the slider...

The issue with this is the slider generally has some holes in it and these can catch on and damage the seal...

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info Rich.

I think the bushings on my forks are captive in the outer tube, and there are no holes in the slider inner tube, so should be ok to try that method provided the edge of the inner tube is not too sharp - hopefully lots of bearing grease and 'gently does it' would do the trick.

Comment

Working...
                            X