No announcement yet.

tips on remembering what gear youre in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tips on remembering what gear youre in?

Whilst riding, I sometimes seem to forget what gear Im in, which makes me lose focus and can stuff me up. Any tips as to how to not make this happen. Also, are you meant to take corners with the clutch held in? Might just be a bad habit I've picked up.

Install a gear selector, they are pretty cheap
    Cornering with the clutch held in is a real shit way to do it.
    RIP
    RYAD
    RIP
    🌹

Comment

Originally posted by dingleberry View Post
      Whilst riding, I sometimes seem to forget what gear Im in, which makes me lose focus and can stuff me up. Any tips as to how to not make this happen. Also, are you meant to take corners with the clutch held in? Might just be a bad habit I've picked up.
      eventually you'll become familiar with your bike and you'll be able to feel which gear you're in without thinking about it. until then, you can work out which gear you're in by your revs and speed.

no, don't hold the clutch around corners. if you're feeling the bike labouring around corners, you might be in 3rd - drop down a gear.

Comment

Thought this was going to be another thread on people squidding...

How is not knowing which gear you're in 'stuffing you up'? When taking corners it shouldn't really matter what gear you're in, other than you are in fact in a gear. Clutching in and coasting around a corner with no drive going to the rear tyre is not going to end well, so I hope this is not what you mean by taking corners with the clutch held in.

Ideally you want to be accelerating through corners, as this transfers more weight to the rear tyre which is going to offer more grip. Decelerating through corners puts more weight on the front which can cause it to slide out and things will end badly for you.
        I'm sure someone can explain that better than I, but I believe that's the gist of it. You don't want to be coasting through corners, so no clutching in around them, this is bad.

As for knowing which gear you're in, you'll learn to count them and once everything else 'riding' starts to become second nature you won't find yourself focusing on stuff like that, at least not to the point that it causes you to stuff up.

Comment

The gear number isn't important at all. What is important is the revs you are at.

You need to work out the sweet power area of your bike and keep the revs above the lower limit, this will give smooth drive.

The only time the clutch should be in whilst cornering is extremely slow maneuvering in carparks and the like.
          Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Shift by feel.

Comment

I mainly like my gear indicator for when I'm coming to a stop and don't try to rev synchronise to gear 0 like a retard.
              In rod we trust.

Comment

Gear indicators are bad mmmm'kay

Given time you'll learn to feel and know which gear you're in.

Oh and what others said. Don't hold clutch in around corners. Get your braking sorted before the corner even if it means your going a little to slow. Then maintain a constant speed through the corner or slight acceleration ( this is normal riding btw)

Riding should all be about smoothness. Going fast will come later, being smooth and fluent at what your doing is the key.
                Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

Originally posted by Falcore View Post
                  Riding should all be about smoothness. Going fast will come later, being smooth and fluent at what your doing is the key.
                  Been said a thousand times before, but 'slow is smooth, smooth is fast'

Comment

As pretty much everyone has said, cornering with the clutch pulled in is a no no.

As for gear knowledge, it comes with time and practice, you need to get to learn you engine and it's characteristics through it's rev range. From idle all the way to the red line it will sound and respond differently.

Keeping it in just on the lower edge of the sweet spot will always give you a motor that is ready to accelerate.

If you are still struggling with some of the basics of motorcycling I would not recommend getting a gear indicator, right now you should be concentrating on riding and LOOKING where you want to go, rather than focussing on a small LED number on your dash.
                    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

If you are having trouble with something as basic as clutch in on corners, maybe spend the dollars and do an advanced riding course.

I often don't know which gear I'm in especially with these new fangled 6 speed gear boxes. It doesn't matter if the gear suits the conditions. If it feels wrong, change up or down.
                      The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

you should be in top gear everywhere
                        B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Originally posted by Arwon View Post
                          The gear number isn't important at all. What is important is the revs you are at.

You need to work out the sweet power area of your bike and keep the revs above the lower limit, this will give smooth drive.

The only time the clutch should be in whilst cornering is extremely slow maneuvering in carparks and the like.
                          This answer nailed it. Gear number is of absolutely no importance to street riding, even a neutral indicator light is unnecessary IMO.

Perhaps clarify your situation? Are you still a learner? If still a learner talk to your instructor, if you're on your RE then definitely consider an advanced riding course. There is however no substitute for km's under your belt. Keep riding and concentrate on how the bike sounds and feels in the different rev ranges. For corners remember; slow in - fast out; do your braking/down shift before the corner, release the clutch fully then hold throttle steady on entry and gently start winding on the throttle as you approach and pass the mid point/apex then change up on exit.
                          Ryan

Originally posted by Aufitt
                          Try Para045, he definitely sounds all gooey in the fork for ya

Comment

Thread Summary:

S.
                            Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
                              As pretty much everyone has said, cornering with the clutch pulled in is a no no

unless your on a Ducati going right on a roundabout at slow speed....

Dukes tend to rattle your balls and the sperm, they no like it....

RR
                              http://www.cleanride.com.au - https://www.facebook.com/cleanridedetailingstudio/ - https://twitter.com/CleanRideAD - https://www.instagram.com/clean_ride_aus/

Comment

Working...
                              X