Puncture repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puncture repairs

I went out to ride my bike today...just up to the shops...and I find the rear tyre is flat.

This is an almost brand new Pirelli...no more than 500 ks on it. I found a tiny cut right in the centre of a raised tread section...must have been a piece of broken glass because there is no nail/screw or anything. I fitted a temp fix and need to find out who still does the internal mushroom type repairs.

I am wondering does anyone know for sure that tyres for bkes or someone else in Perth still do this type of repair.
    Last edited by BusaSteve; 28-12-2013, 04:17 PM.
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

last i heard tyres for bikes still did and i think [MENTION=7149]Stoneville[/MENTION] is able to help out these days, probably worth a pm and a ride.
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Most shops won't fit the mushroom plug but if you get them to remove the tyre, go around the corner pull the plug through and get them to re fit the tyre then that's fine.

Sounds like too much fucking around tbh.
      2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale
      2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R x2
      2012 KAWASAKI ZX6R SUPERSTOCK RACE BIKE (Alive Again!)
      2009 YAMAHA R6 SUPERSPORT TRACK/RACE BIKE
      2008 HONDA CBR1000RR SUPERBIKE TRACK/RACE BIKE
      2012 KAWASAKI NINJA 250 PRODUCTION RACE BIKE

Comment

TFB will fix.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a regular 'push it through from the outside' plug anyway...
          The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Maddington Motorcycle Wreckers will also do it; done 2 of mine with no problems
            Originally posted by Skut
            ...the problem is that no-one wants to listen to an expert, just to have their own position/circumstance supported or be acknowledged.

Comment

Yeah the push through from the outside has failed or there are other leaks I have missed...was a very small leak so I could have another that I havn't found yet. I don't like the sound of two sticky slugs so am going to remove the wheel and check again then probably take it to T4B's either for a single mushroom or a new tyre...pfft dont think much of Pirellis if a bit of glass can punch through a raised section of tread and puncture the tyre.

Comment

Tyres for Bikes will fix it for ya. Think they are off till the 2nd though.

Comment

Well turns out there was another puncture about 30mm away from the first. Both in a raised section of tread and very small cuts rather than round type holes you get with a nail or screw. I think they will be too close together for a mushroom repair to fit so I reckon 96 is right these types of repair are fine...hopefully!

Comment

$50 tfb.
                    Originally posted by Rich...
                    You got me in trouble...

Comment

I'll broaden this thread a little if I may.. Can anyone recommend a brand of puncture repair kit to carry on bike for those long way from home touring rides?

Comment

I've got a "Stop & Go Tyre Plugger" kit and a small compressor under my seat. They use a mushroom type plug and although they say they are a temporary fix they hold up pretty well. I have also put one in a car tyre about 6 months ago and it's still there. the compressor takes about 20 min. to inflate a bike tyre from flat to 40psi but it works.

Comment

I'm going to make some saddle bags and carry a compressor next year i think.

Comment

No need ...just get a couple of the small compressed C02 bottles and a 90 degree variable flow head...$12:00 from most bike shops...they fit under the busa seat or hump and two bottles are more than enough to inflate a tyre. Coupled with the sticky plugs and the two 'T' handles you're good to go

Comment

Originally posted by BusaSteve View Post
                              No need ...just get a couple of the small compressed C02 bottles and a 90 degree variable flow head..
                              Just out of curiosity have you tried to re inflate a rear tyre with a couple of co2 bottles? My understanding not to be confused with fact is that it takes up to 4 or 5 to fill a rear on the average sport bike. On longer trips I tend to take a small compressor.
                              Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Working...
                              X