PPSR - best 4 bucks I ever spent - on JKAEX8B16DDA04538

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPSR - best 4 bucks I ever spent - on JKAEX8B16DDA04538

I was in Perth just before the weekend to buy a cheap car.

While I was there I decided to check out a 2013 Ninja 300 (Limited Edition), that had done about 4000km and was advertised on Gumtree as a Repairable writeoff for $2,500.

So I met the guy advertising it (who was a tow truck driver) at the storage unit in Morley and had a good look.

As pictured in the ad there was a frontal impact where some idiot in a hurry had done a SMIDSY pulling out of a petrol station.

Here is the damage:

The forks were bent at about 5-10 degrees, all front and lower cowlings were wrecked.
    The clip-ons were significantly bent where they'd absorbed the inertia of the rider, ouch!
    The engine started and ran without missing a beat, still had the right amount of oil and no cosmetic damage or oil seeps or drips.
    Very lightly scratched exhaust, and the pegs and rearsets were unhurt.
    A couple of minor gouges to the front wheel - could not tell if it was warped.

I asked the guy how he came by the bike. He said it was in lieu of storage fees from the guy who had the accident, wasn't worth his while to pay to collect it.

I asked how he knows the guy was paid out for the bike. He said he did the insurance claim on the owner's behalf. The owner was paid out and the bike is now in his name (the guy I was speaking to).

The only paperwork he had was a letter from the Department of Infrastructure notifying him of how to get the vehicle inspected if he wanted to re-register it.

I was pretty suspicious of the lack of paperwork at this point. I asked why he didn't have an insurance assessors report and he didn't give me a good enough answer. I've never made an insurance claim in my life but I'm sure they provide a report for these sorts of things.

So I asked the obvious, most important question - How can he PROVE it's only a repairable writeoff and not a statutory writeoff. He claimed that they would've sent him a letter to hand in the plates if it was and not one describing the process to re-register.

In any case I figured it was uneconomic to fix at the price of $2,500 so I offered him $1,500. He countered with $1,700. So I told him I'll have a think about it.

When Monday came I checked the VIN I had written down, on the PPSR - the Personal Property Securities Register. The bike came up as everything I expected until I got to STATUTORY WRITE-OFF.

So it was a close call because if I had been emotional about it I could've ended up buying something that is worthless to me. I don't know if it's worth $1,700 or not to a wrecker but that's won't be for me to decide

Also...
    For those who don't know (this is from the Department of Infrastructure):

Statutory write-offs (SWO) are damaged vehicles that are deemed unsuitable for repair, as the damage is too severe. SWOs may never be licensed in Western Australia.

Repairable write-offs are when:
    1. the vehicle has been assessed as uneconomical to repair by the assessor;
    2. the vehicle’s VIN is recorded as a repairable write-off; or
    3. the vehicle may be repaired but is subject to passing a vehicle safety and vehicle identity check before it can be licensed in Western Australia.

... and then you called DOCEP and told them about this tow truck driver, right?
    Originally posted by Ferris
    I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

$1500 is too much for a binned Ninja anyway. It's pos 300cc jap bike - don't believe the 'Limited Edition' line.

Good work on being suspicious though..

Comment

Proddy bike [MENTION=35343]GIXXEN[/MENTION]

Comment

Originally posted by darth lefty View Post
          ... and then you called DOCEP and told them about this tow truck driver, right?
          I would.. but do departments like that even give a $h!t?

Just to add to the story I actually went down to the Department of Infrastructure and asked them for some confirmation of the status of the bike. The person there didn't even know what a statutory write-off meant and then came back to me explaining what it means
          After some arm-twisting she finally put the number plate into their own system - 1GI-540 - and came up with the same answer, statutory written off vehicle. They didn't tell me to do anything about it and weren't even concerned.

So yeah, maybe I should do something, but I'm not sure what. The ad is gone (expired I think) and I can't actually prove much about the misrepresentation. Anyone got any experience in this?

Comment

Just curious if the tow truck guy was located near canning vale?
            Originally posted by Rich...
            You got me in trouble...

Comment

Hardly best $4 spent when this service was better/free not long ago.
              "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

interesting as I was also looking at this bike and trying to get a rough idea of what it was worth to repair from the pics before I contacted him.
                B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

I don't really know Perth that well but the storage unit was in Morley and he said he lives about 20min away.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Mr_Mike View Post
                  interesting as I was also looking at this bike and trying to get a rough idea of what it was worth to repair from the pics before I contacted him.
                  Yep, the reason I posted it on here is in case of other interested people, you can all save yourselves the bother.

Comment

Originally posted by alien View Post
                    I don't really know Perth that well but the storage unit was in Morley and he said he lives about 20min away.

- - - Updated - - -
                    Give phone number, unit address, person description, truck rego / company name? Might give them something to go on.

Comment

interested to see if that towie has the right licence to dabble in buying and selling

i had the senior compliance officer from commerce wa in just before Christmas.

they are doing their best to clean up the dodgys.

Department of Commerce

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

^ yep I have a friend who is a investigator who is cleaning up dodgy mechanic shops etc so they do care.

Comment

[MENTION=30807]alien[/MENTION] The legislation requires the VIN to be defaced (by scratching an x across the compliance plate) on a statutory write off. Was this done?

The insurance assessor is required to do this and Department of Transport are supposed to administer the law and enforce it. Unfortunately Transport are slack and don't do their job.

Comment

That's interesting about the VIN. I didn't actually see the compliance plate, I read the VIN off the frame. I wonder if the compliance plate was removed, I can't recall seeing it. I was fully intending to check it out before proceeding so I was more interested in the state of the bike. Next time I'll make sure I see the compliance plate. Thanks for that!

Ok, so now I know that this stuff concerns them I'll hand over the details, thanks yarms.

Comment

Working...
                            X