X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAMS Street Triple 660 Triumph

*Not sure if good idea*

Comment

Should be a fun LAM I imagine, though I'd be interested to see how neutered it would be compared to the unrestricted version. From memory it was only priced a grand less than the 675.

Is it just me or do restricted bikes priced just a smidgen under the price for non restricted versions seem almost pointless?

Comment

Originally posted by saj View Post
        Is it just me or do restricted bikes priced just a smidgen under the price for non restricted versions seem almost pointless?
        If they're using the same running gear with only a detuned engine, why would they be substantially cheaper?

Comment

I wonder if it will be (un)restricted with this half-ass effort

Comment

These restricted versions surely have more than just a detune?

I am guessing cheaper tyres and brakes?

I mean, why have good brakes on something that barely cracks the ton?

Comment

Originally posted by black500r View Post
              I wonder if it will be (un)restricted with this half-ass effort
              If the Daytona 675 restrictor kit is anything to go by then yes. Triumph Parts / World of Triumph
              “How people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.”

Comment

Originally posted by boeman View Post
                I mean, why have good brakes on something that barely cracks the ton?
                If you'd ever ridden a ZZR250 you wouldn't need to ask this question.

Comment

Cost around 12.5K + ORC
                  Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
                  remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
                  Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
                  Who died while defending his right of way;
                  He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
                  But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

Great idea, and if the sales of the 659 Monster are anything to go by, they'll sell in their thousands.

While I wouldn't bother myself, I can see that some people who can't be stuffed to go through getting an unrestricted license would find this a very capable bike and would stay where they were for ever. That wouldn't be true if they started on a CBR250r, I'd be guessing. In fact, there might be quite a few city bound folks who never see the need of more than a 660 Trumpy triple or a 659 Monster, or a myriad of jap/korean bikes that turn out right on the LAMS limit of power.

With regard undoing the restriction, to get the full 675cc out of it, you'd need to replace barrels and pistons, and I'd expect there's a full fuel map arrangement different in the injection, because it's running a significantly different engine (in electronics input terms). It would doubtless be easier to trade up.

If part of the thought process here is to keep more people from migrating to R6, R1, Fireblade, 1199 territory, then good brakes and handling on forever bikes makes very good sense.

About a year ago I was in SA with a bunch of guys and one of them had a 659. He was maybe 65kg, so he was already ahead of the power to weight ratio that allows for 90kg for rider and gear. He's played with the exhaust, and by removing pillion pegs and mounts etc, he'd dropped more than 10 more kg off, and squeezed a few more horsepower out of it. The boys noted that whenever they went out for a ride, this guy wasn't out the back all the time.
                    www.hurtlegear.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Ryven View Post
                      If they're using the same running gear with only a detuned engine, why would they be substantially cheaper?
                      Because that flash memory re-programming is magic!

edit:
                      no idea how the bike is actually restricted, but pretty much any supersport could be brought under the LAMS power:weight ratio with a simple rev limit in software to say 7,000 RPM, or just massively retarding the ignition timing and fuel above say 5,000...

Hell - now they're all throttle by wire (or many are, at least, including my 2007 model bike), the computer could just limit the throttle opening.
                      Last edited by thro; 10-01-2014, 09:03 AM.
                      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I could see this being a good buy for those who are thinking of buying a base level Street Triple (rather than the R version). A little less power maybe, but a much bigger market to sell into second hand.

Triumph lover that I am, if I was looking for a LAMS bike, I would probably find it hard to go past the Benelli BN600 at $10k rideaway (Eastern States pricing).
                        Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Demo turned up this week.

Comment

Having 3 models of street triple seems like a logistical waste of time to me.

I don't see the non-r unrestricted version lasting much longer here.
                            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                              Having 3 models of street triple seems like a logistical waste of time to me.

I don't see the non-r unrestricted version lasting much longer here.
                              Price mate, its a lot cheaper than the R, and with bikes like MT09, MT07, CB650F etc they have to remain competitive.
                              A few years ago the Triumph held the market.

Comment

Working...
                              X