Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many bikes can you buy/sell in one year??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • how many bikes can you buy/sell in one year??

    as the title says.... trying to work my way up to a decent bike how many per year before you get stung by our almighty government?

  • #2
    Surely [MENTION=35343]GIXXEN[/MENTION] would know the answer to this..

    Comment


    • #3
      By stung, do you mean being prosecuted for being an unlicensed dealer? Are you intending on making a profit on each bike to allow you to upgrade to the next one?

      If it is a case of saving between each bike to be able to upgrade, why not get a reasonable bike and ride it for a little longer as you save.

      Or (maybe this is a little unreasonable) contact the licensing body directly and ask what the rules are.

      EDIT:

      A quick google search led me to http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/consum...e_dealers.html where there is an enquiries phone number.
      Last edited by JEM; 19-01-2014, 01:36 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        um you'll be lucky to actually make money doing that, unless of course you are going to buy something that needs fixing up and sell that to upgrade.

        You do know that you won't actually make much money and will be paying out to sell and to buy bikes i.e. transfer costs

        Doubt you'll be able to rack up enough bikes to have to worry.

        Just save a little extra and buy a better bike to start with

        Comment


        • #5
          i believe its 6 vehicles in one year before they start thinking you are a dealer

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JimmyO View Post
            i believe its 6 vehicles in one year before they start thinking you are a dealer
            There is actually no magical number, the six is mythical.

            You can be prosecuted for buying and selling a vehicle for the purpose of profit just on one vehicle.

            In reality prosecutions are rare, and generally with people that are turning over quite a few. Such as buying crashed vehicles at auction, fixing them up and selling them.

            In the 1990s at car salvage auctions it was Europeans buying wrecked cars to fix up and resell. But they repaired them fairly well.

            These days, it's middle eastern people... who often don't give a shit about the repair and just do a quick cosmetic patch up and go for the quick dollar. Hence a lot more scrutiny now on re-licencing of written off vehicles.

            If you can turn over a few vehicles per year for a profit then you'll generally get away with it. If you're keen, then put vehicles in different names (ie girlfriend/wife/etc). The loophole for putting them in kids names got closed a few years ago.
            One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

            My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

            Comment


            • #7
              6? I've bought, sold and traded more than that this financial year....

              Profit is the issue.

              I'm not making any
              Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

              when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Phildo View Post
                There is actually no magical number, the six is mythical.

                You can be prosecuted for buying and selling a vehicle for the purpose of profit just on one vehicle.

                In reality prosecutions are rare, and generally with people that are turning over quite a few. Such as buying crashed vehicles at auction, fixing them up and selling them.

                In the 1990s at car salvage auctions it was Europeans buying wrecked cars to fix up and resell. But they repaired them fairly well.

                These days, it's middle eastern people... who often don't give a shit about the repair and just do a quick cosmetic patch up and go for the quick dollar. Hence a lot more scrutiny now on re-licencing of written off vehicles.

                If you can turn over a few vehicles per year for a profit then you'll generally get away with it. If you're keen, then put vehicles in different names (ie girlfriend/wife/etc). The loophole for putting them in kids names got closed a few years ago.
                pretty much this. it's pot luck.

                and stoney, by buying em cheap, transfers are minimal, and profit covers it quite easily.
                have seen it done before, and there certainly is a buck to be made if you know what needs repairing, and how to do it.

                but... its a fair effort, and a bit of a gamble.
                The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Done 12 last year all with profit, not even a letter.

                  Done 5 or 6 the year before with profit and got a harsh warning.

                  I don't learn though
                  2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale
                  2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R x2
                  2012 KAWASAKI ZX6R SUPERSTOCK RACE BIKE (Alive Again!)
                  2009 YAMAHA R6 SUPERSPORT TRACK/RACE BIKE
                  2008 HONDA CBR1000RR SUPERBIKE TRACK/RACE BIKE
                  2012 KAWASAKI NINJA 250 PRODUCTION RACE BIKE

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    so buying them with work needed or close to rego expiry......haggle like hell get it at a steal...do the work ...ride them for a couple of months...get bored and sell for what paid for plus cost of fixing...maybe rego as well?? all good, only got my licence last march, am on my fifth ( bought it last week ) , then today get offered the bike I have been working towards and if sell this one ill have enough
                    Last edited by rippyjr; 19-01-2014, 03:24 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If they can prove that you're operating as a business, you're screwed. There is no specific limit, so just because someone else has got away with selling 300 bikes last month, it doesn't mean you will be so lucky.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rippyjr View Post
                        as the title says.... trying to work my way up to a decent bike how many per year before you get stung by our almighty government?
                        How much does a decent bike cost? Surely buying and selling a ton of bikes for minimal profit is making your life difficult. If it were me id get a 2nd job (night shift or weekend work) if money was the issue. If youre keen for mechanical experience and enjoy that stuff then thats a different matter...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yeah i heard 5 from somewhere, but on reading these posts, it made me realise I wouldnt have a clue where. But obviously with Gixxen as the example, which is the ones i pay attention to , its not a huge risk as long as your not whoring out 20 bikes at big $$.

                          I am running that tactic on cars, i think its easier then with Motorcycles? Ie, there are a LOT more unregistered cars out there that dont actually need much love to get back on the road in good nick, but just have owners who couldnt be bothered. Have picked up some crazy bargains for $300 etc. Having a good manerism and great people skills will help you get them over the pits without being hounded, and that in itself is part of the difficulty i think. Everyone made going over the pits sound terrifying, but after taking 2 cars over so far, been quite a surprisingly pleasant experience... unless of course you rock up with a big old turbo humming along and a phat stereo pumping tunes... then they may bend you over.

                          So yeah, my advice, do the idea with cars, then get a bike. Oh and have your gumtree set on unregistered vehicles and refresh it at least 3 times a day to see the awesome deals the moment they turn up. The good ones get snapped up in hours. Thats how I got my gsxr. Gotta be quick on the old gumtree though.

                          You could go get a job and work like some suggested, but for me, that doesnt quite have the same adventurous appeal...
                          The circus is calling...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Clause 5B of the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act 1973:


                            (1) A person who —
                            (a) holds himself or herself out as a person carrying on the business of buying or selling vehicles; or
                            (b) sells or exchanges 4 or more vehicles in any 12 month period to or with persons who are not dealers,
                            is taken to be carrying on the business of selling vehicles for the purposes of the definition of dealer.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Markito View Post
                              There are a LOT more unregistered cars out there that dont actually need much love to get back on the road in good nick, but just have owners who couldnt be bothered.
                              Unlicenced stuff is much easier - when you licence it you have to declare what you paid for it. Declare the price that you'll be selling it for. You'll get creamed on stamp duty, but at least it won't show up on computers that it's been bought and sold for a profit. And there's no record of transactions for the vehicle between when it was last licenced and when you licence it.
                              One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

                              My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X