DS vs street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS vs street

Been thinking about selling the Rex for a dual sport road and trailie. Just want to hear some viewpoints from experience. Plus or minuses if you've done it. Gone from street to ds.
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

Gone from DS to Street. Do it every time if you want to develop some skills.
    -

Comment

on the noob end of the scale, I traded my Ninja250 for a DR650 and am loving it. The lazy torquey lollopy way it does its thing is perfect for me to commute, sunday ride and learn to offroad on (gentle) tracks.

Plus (for the DR at any rate) - makes a good noise, taller, torque, can drop it and it doesn't care. Faster than they appear. Simple, cheap to maintain. You could (with a few mods) head east in a straight line and just keep going...

Minus - power band is pretty short and gearing a little long - sometimes I find myself needing in between gears and end up hunting about or just changing my speed to suit one of the gears it wants to be in. Seat is uncomfortable and a bit hot. Need a bigger tank to really go long distances. For you, I'd imagine the DR would feel slow and agricultural coming off your zxr.. The ninja was much more fun around roundabouts.

Comment

develop ya stable with each ..... never a dull moment! ^_^
        faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

i went from a 2001 Fireblade, to a 636 to recently a new Vstrom 650 DS. If your considering the swap to DS I think you really have to be totally honest with yourself in regards to what you are going to use the bike for then work back from there. theres no set formula for a DS bike, and i think thats what I think makes it a really interesting category with a number of bikes and manufacturers you could choose from, depending on what exactly you want to do. They are ALL different and have their own niche.

if you want to go 80 dirt - 20% road then you could go a DR600, or big KTM single, slightly more road orientated themn maybe a KLR650, then you get into Vstrom territory, being more road biased and a smaller and 'more cost effective" version of the bigger KTM, BMW, Triumph 1,000cc era. any of these road biased DS bikes you could put 80,000kms on and still have lots of k's left in them, so as a commuter they would be fine.

I find my Vstrom very easy to live with, comfortable ( considering arthritis issues got me off sports bikes 4 or 5 years earlier than planned ), cheap to buy, run and surprisingly fun on road and for light to light, medium off-road use. all of the DS ride gear is very user friendly and practical, comfortable. The thing I like is when you go out of the driveway you have a wider option of riding experiences you can choose from with only 1 bike, and thats what I want, one bike. keep it simple, and learn how to ride it to its capabilities, old school. i'm trying to get away from totally focused bikes and cars.

On the other hand, going to a 650 single after a reasonable powered street bike i just couldnt do, test rode a few, the KLR650 for instance is not a powerful bike at all, despite its size and doesnt sit on the road well at all. they are all quite tall bikes and although give a great riding position are definitely top heavy in comparison to a good road bike, the larger euro DS bikes are fucking huge, heavy and as flavour of the month are priced quite high for what they are, but they do have the extra 40 - 50 bhp over, say, a vstrom you might miss, coming from a sport bike. having said that 65 bhp and the wide torque spread is more than enough offraod and probably "enough" for on road. to a point

If you want to do heavy sand work or dunes i'd stay away from the larger DS bikes unless you really know your off road stuff and go the lighter 650 singles, cross winds can buffet you if you not riding fast enough...

i rekon pick your application, be honest with your self and the bike choice will follow from there
          I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

yes it's very much decide what riding you will be doing, which will influence the tyre type too... offroad riding is much more enjoyable with decent knobbies esp. with larger hp machines.
            that's the compromise tyres for dirt traction or tyres for sticking to asphalt (laid over wet or dry)
            good luck finding a bike/setup capable of both worlds

Comment

Yeah I was thinking I'd like to have more range of where I could go and also I've become a little too comfortable with my bikes performance. Just a matter of time for a lot of things to happen as it's very addictive. I sat on the drz 400 the other day and it felt very foreign. I suppose what I want is still the fun factor of bikes but to change the environment where I do it.

Nice write up heretic. Not really into the behemoths and would like a little better off-road than on road performance. Plus wouldn't mind keepin it solo some times so picking up 200kg plus nah not into it. Was even thinking 2fity but might grow out of that power pretty quick. Plus not as much accessories out there by the look of it. Would like some decent range and the tanks for the 250s are still pretty small still upgraded. Could be persuaded if someone has got some decent range out of theirs? But was looking at the 400 as it seems best of both worlds. Pity it's the one left in this size.

Been digesting a fair bit on the ds/adv forums in terms of bike types but suppose they don't have our local atmosphere. Are there many tracks around Perth to hike for 100 plus Kms or do you have to travel afar to get something decent. I suppose this is where I was heading. Can you still have fun here in perth with a ds or are we lacking with places to travel to close by while we save for the bigger trips inland/coast.
              Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

Comment

modern 1/4 litres are way lighter/faster than back in the day.... but yep you'd be tired of its performance pretty quick..... 400+ i reckon too

Comment

yes i think you can have a good ride around Perth, but thats another good point about the distances in WA, i think you'd want at least a comfortable 400kms ( ?? ) fuel range on regular unleaded that'll sit loaded at 110kph, theres where a 250 might start to struggle, with the long road stage. and theres your comprimise, ( or mine anyhow)

i made the call that at the end of the day in WA theres inevitable long road stages, and you'd want at least a 600 / 650 to do that part and not wear it, or you out before you even get anywhere, and gravel, semi hard pack sand or some form of access tracks to wherever it is that I might want to go. Im not really into deserts at all or straight lining point to point. Not really a lot of large rocky terrain, so ground clearance wasn't absolute top priority. As Biffer said if I want to go more offroad biased I will swap the tyres to a more aggressive set

So after looking at all the options the more road based touring & lighter offroad capabilities and the extra hp of the vstrom won over, for me anyhow. the other bike that came very close for me was the KTM LC640's but in WA the ones that I looked at were were IMO overpriced or had been really thrashed.
                  I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

V-Strom will do most things,depending on your tyre choice,for me,the comfort(sheepskin pad)and range,~ 450,were deciding factors,as I'm more into distance riding,needed to be a bike I can pick up on my own,as I'm usually solo,and hard bags make it easy. If there had been anyway to sit on a Tenere,would have considered that,

Comment

Working...
                    X