going over pits - easiest way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going over pits - easiest way?

afternoon all. i am looking at picking up a gpx 250 from a fellow PSBer and fixing her up and converting into a cafe racer with a kit.

With it being unregistered, theoretically what would be the easiest way to take the bike over the pits to re-register her. Bringing the bike back to stock and running, takind over the pits and then converting to a cafe racer

OR

get the engine as mint as possible, buy and set up the cafe racer kit on the bikeabd get her in the state that i want her in, and then pass the bike over the pits?

Obviously the latter is less labour intensive as it is without fairings currently, but which will be the easiest way to go in terms of not being rejected.

Since getting my R-E license, Ive always thought cafe racers looked Sexy AF.
    Last edited by griffo_94; 28-01-2014, 02:18 PM.
    "If you're happy, I'm happy. If you're unhappy, I'm happy. I'm generally a pretty happy guy."

[MENTION=15074]Rex Havoc[/MENTION]

Comment

Take her over the pits stock, then modify to your hearts content is generally "easier" especially given your bike is fairly modern you have much stricter ADR's to adhere to than the older bikes.

You posted about this on PCR not long ago right?
      Ryan

Originally posted by Aufitt
      Try Para045, he definitely sounds all gooey in the fork for ya

Comment

I'd get it back to stock if you can do so cheaply. Then convert it.

Comment

take bike back to stock and good working order then take to a private garage for licensing. Then take it home and modify, that will be the easiest way. Not saying you cant do it the other way around but it usually ends up being an expensive drawn out process.
          B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Originally posted by 98kellrs View Post
            Take her over the pits stock, then modify to your hearts content is generally "easier" especially given your bike is fairly modern you have much stricter ADR's to adhere to than the older bikes.

You posted about this on PCR not long ago right?
            more or less. i think i was just telling rex about my intentions, not any of the details that im trying to nut out atm haha
            "If you're happy, I'm happy. If you're unhappy, I'm happy. I'm generally a pretty happy guy."

Comment

Taking it over the pits in it's fixed up state shouldn't be too hard, as long as the fixed up state is compliant, things like fenders, lights, indicators, chain guard etc will all be looked at, as will noise emission, but that shouldn't be too hard, my 1992 900ss just got over, including clutch rattle.

I went to motorcycle masters, maybe they're called motorcycles plus, in Kewdale and they gave me a short list of what had to be rectified, but I felt it was properly checked.
              www.hurtlegear.com.au

Comment

I went to compliant vehicle inspections in ellenbrook with my 'streetfighter'
                He checked all the lights/horns/mirrors
                Noise test and fender and no leaks
                Quick spin and passed
                Even passed with stunt cage and 52tooth sprocket on
                Hello

Comment

+1 for compliant vehicle inspections, checked it, failed on one or two minor bits and pieces, sorted in an hour and back on the road. Nice guy too. don't do what I do if you go there and go on a near empty tank - there are literally no servos (the supermarket one was closed when I went!)

Comment

Originally posted by Algy View Post
                    I went to compliant vehicle inspections in ellenbrook with my 'streetfighter'
                    He checked all the lights/horns/mirrors
                    Noise test and fender and no leaks
                    Quick spin and passed
                    Even passed with stunt cage and 52tooth sprocket on
                    So as long as everything basic is straight and tidy on it, i could build the cafe racer kit on it first?

Comment

When you've done this you're going to have good experience so you can tel PSB how it all happens, but as I understand this from doing it recently, you find someone who you think is likely to give you a fair run, so they should know a little something about bikes. They should seem to you that they're not predisposed to fail things because they're older than 3 years, or not stock, or whatever. There are two places mentioned in the thread which might be good places to start.

And then you should have some idea what's compliant for a bike the age of a GPX250. Maybe some people over at the Cafe Racer thread know some of that. In my mind if you're going to have to spend money getting it right one way or the other, you're better off spending it on you final solution than on getting original plastics or whatever that you're just going to ditch.

Whatever you do though, someone who gets paid to inspect bikes is going to look at it and decide that it is or isn't worthy of registration, and they're going to get paid whether you pass or fail, but their livelihood is going to be at risk if they let dodgy things through. Do a little homework and get it up to speed.

Just by the way, even if the kit is designed for a GPX, that doesn't ensure that what they think is right for Montana and New Jersey is going to work in Perth. Worth talking to someone who knows the local rules.
                      www.hurtlegear.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by griffo_94 View Post
                        So as long as everything basic is straight and tidy on it, i could build the cafe racer kit on it first?
                        Yes
                        I also had a lot of aftermarket parts on but he didn't even notice them
                        I don't know if you would get the same result from a department inspection or another private inspection but at ellenbrook as long as the vehicle was safe and complied there was no problem
                        Hello

Comment

Originally posted by Algy View Post
                          Yes
                          I also had a lot of aftermarket parts on but he didn't even notice them
                          I don't know if you would get the same result from a department inspection or another private inspection but at ellenbrook as long as the vehicle was safe and complied there was no problem
                          Destino Custom Garage, Custom motorcycles and parts - Cafe Racer Kit

A Cousin brought up on the weekend how the kit is all coming together. i had told him that at specidfic places the frame is being cut and the new seat poles are slid into the original frame, epoxied and drilled into place. he said that doing this plays with the structural integrity and could be picked up by the pits. If i was to do it this way, even though it seems as though nothing will be seen without pulling apart the bike which couldnt be done because of the epoxy, will that get knocked back straight away?

Comment

I believe frame mods will get knocked back unless you have an engineering certificate...

Comment

kawasaki gpx 250 ninja 250 cafe racer | Motorcycles | Gumtree Australia Swan Area - West Swan | 1033738124

^^Looks like there's at least one that got through inspection!

Though looking at the rego number it was simply added to an already registered bike....

Comment

Working...
                              X