X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible changes to import laws

Hi, just stumbled across this

Car prices could tumble if PC recommendation adopted

What do you think, surely this must apply to bikes as well, bonus is we don't need to change the steering wheel over. Anyone worried about the resale value of their bike if this comes in?

Basically I'm asking, "Is this a good thing for the biking community?"

mm would be good if it did, but I can't see it happening with bikes, but please yes it would be good

Comment

Secondhand cars have all the resale value of your sister in Australia, so so cant see it happening,

And what's the point of ADR's (and a local industry) if all that goes out the window and market dumping is allowed again just like in the 1990's?

Comment

I'm all for free market economies.

I don't like that a BMW 750i is $87,000 (+ sales tax) in USA and $304,000 in Australia.

My wife doesn't like that make-up is about 400% more expensive here than in USA either.

The price difference of motorbikes is actually quite palatable in comparison to other stuff... so I'm not worried.

Comment

Originally posted by black500r View Post
          I'm all for free market economies.

I don't like that a BMW 750i is $87,000 (+ sales tax) in USA and $304,000 in Australia.

My wife doesn't like that make-up is about 400% more expensive here than in USA either.

The price difference of motorbikes is actually quite palatable in comparison to other stuff... so I'm not worried.
          BMW 1000RR in the states 15000 (I assume plus sales tax) in Australia you're looking at 25k plus...I call nearly 50% more quite pricey...
          SP RACINGis supported by:
          MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
          Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
          Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

And in the USA ppl work for $8 per hour.

Comment

That would never happen. And if it did then I'm sure they would make it a requirement that any imported car has to meet the relevant ADR's applicable to the time of vehicle manufacture, and compliance would be at the importer/buyers cost.

Comment

Originally posted by El Skitzo View Post
                That would never happen. And if it did then I'm sure they would make it a requirement that any imported car has to meet the relevant ADR's applicable to the time of vehicle manufacture, and compliance would be at the importer/buyers cost.
                is it not already like that..?

Comment

Originally posted by Tikterd View Post
                  I bought my first car (Nissan 180SX) from an auction in Japan for about $2,000... factor in shipping to Australia, compliance, and other misc expenses it worked out at about $10,000... that was in about 2001 so I can guarantee it WAS like that... probably still is but don't know from experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephan View Post
                    BMW 1000RR in the states 15000 (I assume plus sales tax) in Australia you're looking at 25k plus...I call nearly 50% more quite pricey...
                    Yeah but at least that's as extreme as it gets for bikes... factoring in sales tax (maybe $1000?) there's a $9000 difference... but then factor in todays exchange rate and the difference is more like $7000aud... it'd sure be great to get a $7000 discount on a $25000 bike but when you look at some other bikes (take my cbr500r for example) the difference is almost negligible ($7,000aud PLUS tax vs $7500aud)... so essentially the same price...

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Aufitt View Post
                    Pretty much. If they're shit-kickers.

Comment

Originally posted by black500r View Post
                      Pretty much. If they're shit-kickers.
                      Or less. Casual min wage here is about $20 over 21 here. Still, European luxury cars are completely taking the piss here. It's one thing to have a price difference, it's a whole other thing to effectively be able to buy the car there, move there for a year until you meet the personal import requirements, return with the car and be able to resell the bloody thing with a profit margin over the cost of the relocation/years holiday. Though why anyone would want to spend a year there I do not know.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryven View Post
                        Though why anyone would want to spend a year there I do not know.
                        From my understanding the regulations changed on that a year or so ago and you now need to own the car for 5 years and have proof your re-locating back to Australia from said other country.
                        RAM MOTOSPORT ZX10 RR#191

Comment

Originally posted by Aufitt View Post
                          This. Direct comparison is futile.

S.
                          Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

Originally posted by Tikterd View Post
                            Yes it is, but talk in that article of a flood of unsafe, polluting cars that don't meet our regulations is ridiculous, the authorities would not allow that to happen in our Nanny State.

I also couldn't see it happening because everyone who owns a car now is likely to lose money, including politicians. Too many vested interests that would hurt financially so it won't happen. Just like Negative Gearing on investment properties should be scrapped as soon as possible to help this country's bottom like and new home buyers starting out, but too many people now rely on negative gearing including most politicians, so it will never be scrapped (again).

Comment

It would be nice if they lifted the pre 89 stipulation to say a rolling 20 years or something similar there are some mid 90's bikes I'd like to have that were never sold here or borderline unobtainable here, with new car prices you need to remember that out of every dollar you spend over $57000 the govt is taking a 33% cut unless you a buying a stinking 4WD, grey imports will only burn second hand prices.

Aside from Japan and the U.K. the options of where you can import from without requiring a RHD conversion are pretty limited with the amount of salt they pour on the road in some places you don't really want anything much over 5years as it will be shagged.
                              Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Working...
                              X