No announcement yet.

07 R1 engine knock/rattle, suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 07 R1 engine knock/rattle, suggestions?

Last night on my ride home from work my bike developed a small knock above 3500rpm at first I cracked the shits and assumed it was a big end but now I am not to sure.

Heres what I know:
    Bike has 23,000km and has had regular services, the last oil and filter at 20,000 using genuine Yamaha oil/filter
    I checked the valves myself about 2000km ago and all but 2 were within spec so made the adjustments and everything is spot on
    bike has a very good tune, sparkplug were a nice brown colour when I changed them out same time as I done the valves
    There was only a very slight decrease in power on the ride home, but of course soon as I heard the noise I tried to keep rpm as low as possible.

The knocking sound is very high pitched not like a normal big end knock and speeds up very quickly as you raise the engine rpm, unlike a big end that increases steadily with the rpm. Almost sounds like when u hold a piece of card or something in a fan. Using the old screw driver to the ear method the noise appears to be coming from the timing chain side and above crank height
    Happens both in gear and in neutral (rules out gearbox/clutch issue?)
    noise is not there at all when idling @ 1100rpm and is holding steady smooth idle
    checked the valves this morning and they haven't moved at all
    dropped the oil and there is not even the slightest metallic look to it, if it was big end then there would be fine traces of bearings right?
    Had a look up the exhaust and inlet ports at the valve stems they are as they should be with no signs of leaks or excessive wear
    is not blowing any smoke or any signs of oil in the ports
    I have pulled the timing chain tensioner, stripped and cleaned it then reinstalled as per manual, started bike heard the tension click into place and the noise is still there.

Can anyone suggest anything else to check while the bike is stripped?
    At this stage I suspect the timing chain tensioner is the issue but I am unsure how to test it off the bike, and given the bike is 90% stripped down at the moment I want to make sure I check any other possible causes b4 I put it back together with a new tensioner.

cheers Mike
    B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

This sounds similar to my zx6 race bike, same noise, I had all the cam chain and guides replaced, noise was gone went to the track, jumped a tooth or so and piston to valve, then threw a leg out of bed.

Although it could also be small end (gudgeon pin) knock ? Hasn't bent a rod slightly ?

Bent rod will obviously show bearing wear on either side of the shell if you pull the caps off.
    2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale
    2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R x2
    2012 KAWASAKI ZX6R SUPERSTOCK RACE BIKE (Alive Again!)
    2009 YAMAHA R6 SUPERSPORT TRACK/RACE BIKE
    2008 HONDA CBR1000RR SUPERBIKE TRACK/RACE BIKE
    2012 KAWASAKI NINJA 250 PRODUCTION RACE BIKE

Comment

Sell it and buy a honda

89,000km, no knock.

(no electrical problems yet either, thanks )

edit:
      Actually not entirely in jest - there's been a few R1 engine issues reported here over the past couple of years… seems to be the most commonly broken litre bike for some reason :-\
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
        Sell it and buy a honda

89,000km, no knock.

(no electrical problems yet either, thanks )

edit:
        Actually not entirely in jest - there's been a few R1 engine issues reported here over the past couple of years… seems to be the most commonly broken litre bike for some reason :-\
        yeah but a Honda is boring as fuck to ride

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by GIXXEN View Post
        This sounds similar to my zx6 race bike, same noise, I had all the cam chain and guides replaced, noise was gone went to the track, jumped a tooth or so and piston to valve, then threw a leg out of bed.

Although it could also be small end (gudgeon pin) knock ? Hasn't bent a rod slightly ?

Bent rod will obviously show bearing wear on either side of the shell if you pull the caps off.
        these things I cant really check without opening the motor and I am trying to avoid that at this stage.
        B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Hey mr mike sounds like my 2002 r1 same noise been in shop for 2-3 months $4k later just picked up this morning

Comment

Originally posted by LUFFY75 View Post
            Hey mr mike sounds like my 2002 r1 same noise been in shop for 2-3 months $4k later just picked up this morning
            So? What was the problem?
            yes, i am ignorant
            yes, i am a prick
            no, i don't care
            you make me sick

Comment

Is it a knock or a tick?

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                Sell it and buy a honda

89,000km, no knock.
                Ha ha, earlier Hondas like my BB commonly developed a sharp tapping/knocking sound when the CCT got worn and that usually starts at ~3500 rpm so I reckon that could bethe issue :insure: Also tend to get slightly more vibration as well, some people equate the CCT noise to marbles in a tin can Never got that bad on mine but it did get a bit noisy @~80k and developed a slight vibration so I changed it out (~$50 from the US) Been good since

Originally posted by Mr_Mike View Post
                yeah but a Honda is boring as fuck to ride

Because they never break down?
                #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                Originally posted by Phildo
                Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                Originally posted by filbert
                i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Slight rattle no noise on idle bike shop pulled down found big end gone

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
                    Is it a knock or a tick?
                    Familiar with the R1 tick as I had a 1st gen R1. This is something different.
                    B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Post a video
                      "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Originally posted by LUFFY75 View Post
                        Slight rattle no noise on idle bike shop pulled down found big end gone
                        What sort of mileage are these bikes?...they should be good for better than 23k before blowing any bearing ffs!
                        Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mike View Post
                          Familiar with the R1 tick as I had a 1st gen R1. This is something different.
                          You did remove the quickshifter and test yeah? Dunno what a stuffed injector would sound like?
                          yes, i am ignorant
                          yes, i am a prick
                          no, i don't care
                          you make me sick

Comment

My r1 36k

Comment

Originally posted by shortSteve View Post
                              You did remove the quickshifter and test yeah? Dunno what a stuffed injector would sound like?
                              My quickshifter works of the plugs not the injectors
                              B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Working...
                              X