When can I shadow people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When can I shadow people?

I had been under the impression that I was able to shadow other people as long as I have had my CAR license for 4 full years (2 off P plates). Is this true? I'm almost at that stage now and have had my R's for a while now but not as long as the car. Anyone have any ideas? I had people shadow me so wouldn't mind giving others a favour too

For cars; Have held car license for 4 years (from the moment you pass your hazard perception)

For bikes; have held the class you are shadowing (R/RE) for 4 years

For scooters (50cc, R-N), 2 years in either car or 2 years of R-N

Don't bring p-plates into it, you'll just confuse yourself..

Comment

you can shadow RE learners after 4 years of gaining your RE licence.

same applies for R class.

Comment

Ok wow I have ages to go then haha. Thanks for the info

Comment

Not to derail the thread but how do you find out how long you've had your RE's?

I didn't keep the sheet from the test and my license doesn't say when it was issued.

Been all over the DoT website like a tomcat and found nada.
          Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Originally posted by Gippo View Post
            Not to derail the thread but how do you find out how long you've had your RE's?

I didn't keep the sheet from the test and my license doesn't say when it was issued.

Been all over the DoT website like a tomcat and found nada.

Probably just give em a call.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam1993 View Post
              Probably just give em a call.
              I have found going to the dentist less traumatic than calling DoT.
              Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

From memory you can shadow after 4 years of riding any class.

For example:

1 yr RE and 3 yrs R = You can shadow anyone
                3 yrs RE and 1 yr R = You can shadow anyone
                4 yrs RE = Can only shadow RE

The key point being you must have held a MC licence of any rating for at least 4 yrs and hold an R licence to shadow R's.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by darkfibre View Post
                I have found going to the dentist less traumatic than calling DoT.
                ^WHS - My sentiments exactly.
                Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Incorrect. Need to hold the licence for 4 years to shadow the class you are wanting to shadow. To shadow R class you need to have held the class for 4 years. The number of years you have held R-E for is irrelevant to being able to shadow R. However R class years can count towards R-E.
                  Last edited by Kristy; 07-02-2014, 08:17 PM. Reason: d'oh, R-E instead of R

Comment

From memory you can shadow after 4 years of riding any class.

For example:

1 yr RE and 3 yrs R = You can shadow anyone
                    4 yrs RE = Can only shadow RE

The key point being you must have held a MC licence of any rating for at least 4 yrs and hold an R licence to shadow R's.

- - - Updated - - -

^WHS - My sentiments exactly.
                    4 years of the class the same as the one you are shadowing...

4 years RE can shadow RE

4 years R can shadow R

so the minimum time with a motorcycle licence to shadow R is 5 years.
                    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Pretty sure my info was correct. Did extensive reading on the DoT site.

Just did again but could not find the material I originally read to form my opinion.

The website really sucks.

I'll go with [MENTION=15607]kirsty[/MENTION] and [MENTION=17003]filbert[/MENTION]
                      Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Pretty sure my info was correct. Did extensive reading on the DoT site.
                        The info is very clear on the site:
                        Teaching someone to drive

Remember, if you are teaching someone how to drive (and you are not a licensed driving instructor) you must:
                        Hold a current and valid driver's licence (for the class of vehicle in which you are teaching someone how to drive) for at least 4 years. In the case of instructing a person to ride a moped, you must have held a current and valid driver’s licence for at least 2 years.
                        Thus, as was pointed out by the helpful people above, you need to hold an R-E class for 4 years to shadow R-E and R class for 4 years to shadow an R learner.

Comment

Working...
                        X