Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why a centre stand?

Hi all,
    At the risk of being berated on here....here's my question.

What are the pros and cons of putting a centre stand on a 2013 FZ800s. I'm not too sure about this as I am still relatively new, and just getting back into riding again.
    Any advice from all the experience out there would be of great help.

Cheers
    Shit just doesn't happen...Arseholes create it.

Pro - Easier to do chain maintenance...

Con - Something else to rub on the ground when leant right over...

- - - Updated - - -

Pro - Easier to do chain maintenance...

Con - Something else to rub on the ground when leant right over...

Comment

Con = weight.

Comment

had one on my VFR800 ran to the edges of the tyre without it touching down, but that was on it from the showroom not an aftermarket mod or compromise between handling and convenience.

definitely makes chain and wheel maintenance easier.

take care while learning to put the bike on the stand, there is a knack to it and some have dropped the bike by starting off crooked or getting the leverage and weight transfer wrong.
        Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

First time I used one I had couch cussions either side of the bike and they almost came in handy. Also be careful ur not propping up by the exhause etc

Comment

I love having a centrestand - makes pretty much all maintenance ever super easy
            Originally posted by tank-wombat
            Geoff seems like a wise man who's soul will slowly be destroyed by the stupidity of some people
            ----------------------------------------
            TRX 850.

Comment

mm they don't come with one so why put one on?

We just bought pick up bobbins for ours and use the normal rear stand

Comment

pro - bike sits level making checking oil level super easy. Never been a fan of holding the bike upright off the stand while squatting down to peer in tiny porthole at bottom of engine.
                For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
                  mm they don't come with one so why put one on?

We just bought pick up bobbins for ours and use the normal rear stand
                  ^ this, why have the extra weight when you can just use a rear stand when needed. They are handy when fitted but I'd never fit one to a bike that didn't have one factory fitted.

Comment

I just use bobbins and a rear stand, have a front one as well. Works great for maintenance and washing. I also store it on the stands.

Comment

When you have a flat, busted chain e.t.c. at the back of bumfuck W.A. the cons seem to fade into insignificance.
                      They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

I put one on my XTR... Best money spent to do chain maintenance (such as cleaning, greasing, tension). I considered going the 'something else in the shed' option, but decided against due to very limited space & some less clunk in the shed!
                        I might be a very conservative rider, but never any issues with touching the ground.

Comment

Use mine on unstable ground too instead of side stand when parking. Much prefer having one than not.

Comment

They're great for general maintainance and you have to be cranking pretty hard on modern bikes before scraping becomes an issue. As for weight, well if you intend to spend most of your time on a track it will make a difference but on the road your not going to notice and it will certainly not be the reason you couldn't keep up with your mates.

Comment

Originally posted by BikeRider View Post
                              They're great for general maintainance and you have to be cranking pretty hard on modern bikes before scraping becomes an issue. As for weight, well if you intend to spend most of your time on a track it will make a difference but on the road your not going to notice and it will certainly not be the reason you couldn't keep up with your mates.
                              yeah, i've seen evidence of a rider with centrestand outriding all of his mates regularly, but it might be because they're too busy watching the sparks and listening to the grinding noises as he passes them.
                              Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Working...
                              X