Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet Cams

Hello all,

After one too many close calls and too much bad driving being witnessed, I've decided it's time to look for a helmet cam to record these culprits for my family's sake, should the worst happen.

So which ones are you guys rolling? do you think they are worth it?

Ideally I'd like a pretty small one. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

'Barrel' style cams are best for helmet attachment. Contour's range is pretty popular, most of the cops are using either those or Drift Ghost cams. The new Drift Ghost S is arguably the best on the market but they're bloody expensive. The HD is the older, cheaper model and can be had for about the same price as the Contour Roam 2.

Comment

Act20 $75
      -

Comment

Originally posted by Archie View Post
        'Barrel' style cams are best for helmet attachment. Contour's range is pretty popular, most of the cops are using either those or Drift Ghost cams. The new Drift Ghost S is arguably the best on the market but they're bloody expensive. The HD is the older, cheaper model and can be had for about the same price as the Contour Roam 2.
        Last I heard contour went bust round August...

Comment

Originally posted by doggfather View Post
          Hello all,

After one too many close calls and too much bad driving being witnessed, I've decided it's time to look for a helmet cam to record these culprits for my family's sake, should the worst happen.

So which ones are you guys rolling? do you think they are worth it?

Ideally I'd like a pretty small one. Any suggestions are much appreciated!
          Haven't got one, If I was, I'd buy drift,

Why drift, the PVR mode, tag mode sounds awesome, till you crash and forget to hit the button. the PVR constantly makes new clips and deletes the old ones

Comment

Cameras are worth it, it's your own personal "witness" in case someone crashes into you or causes you to crash.

I've got a Contour Roam2, its works quite well during the day and the quality is good, just bear in mind the negatives:
            - Non-replaceable battery
            - Settings can only be adjusted via PC (Can't adjust it on the fly)
            - Horrible low-light video quality

Adding to the last point, I've read GoPro's are much better at low-light than the Contour's but best to find someone with one to view it yourself

Comment

Used a whole range of setups surfing, which I guess is similar conditions with wind/light and such.

Can confirm GoPro are the best, by quite a margin.

Comment

Contour are up and going again, check out their fb if yr inclined. Personally I think they're worth it for me. I've been debating the GP3+ and the Contour+2 but cant decide whether to grab the boxy style with 4k recording or the barrel sleekness & GPS but with a poorer recording ability. The Ghost is looking the goods but haven't compared the pros and cons as yet - good luck

Comment

Originally posted by boeman View Post
                  Used a whole range of setups surfing, which I guess is similar conditions with wind/light and such.

Can confirm GoPro are the best, by quite a margin.
                  Have you ridden with a GoPro attached to your helmet? I have, and it's hardly an aerodynamic shape...

I agree for fixed mounting GoPro is the best, but for a daily helmet cam something small and barrel shaped is way more practical.
                  Ryan

Originally posted by Aufitt
                  Try Para045, he definitely sounds all gooey in the fork for ya

Comment

Originally posted by agrid View Post
                    Act20 $75
                    I got one of these last year, been a bit disappointed with it.
                    Regularly stops working after I charge it or connect to a PC.
                    Hitting the reset seems to make it work ok, but changes the date/time back to default. I then have to connect it to a PC to reset the date/time.....
                    Originally posted by mekon
                    Why are pirates called pirates?
                    Because they Arrrrrr

Comment

Hurtle Gear Australia :: Motorcycle Accessories, RAM Mounts & Action Cameras

We'll happily walk you through what is best for you out of the 3 biggest brands, GoPro, Drift, Contour. I think we can genuinely step back and take your own needs into account, but I'm still in this as a business and my bias may show through some times.
                      www.hurtlegear.com.au

Comment

I just got a gopro black 3+ (cos it was 'free' with my credit card rewards points) and it's ace - awesome quality, although looks slightly ridiculous hanging off the side of my helmet (although I have noticed girls waving, smiling, even preening their hair as I go past..or maybe its because of my beard, Beard-King Boeman will no doubt have experienced this every damn minute of his pretty faced bearded life..anyways, I digress.)

Is it just for a visual record in the event of an accident, or are you planning to do anything else with the video? You're gonna need more disk, memory, everything, on your computer to do anything with the files unless you shoot at a low-ish resolution, but then where's the fun?

What you'll see from the video clips is how much of the stupid shit that happens you ought to have seen ahead of time but didn't, or did, but didn't take the appropriate preventative action in hindsight.

If you want the best point of view, you might want to hang it off your chin or top of your helmet. Mounting on the bars is so 2 dimensional when you play it back, its too video game and not what you were actually looking at. Mounted on the side, a small chunk of the view obstructed by your helmet - you may or may not care. I'd mount it on the left side if youre going to - to see more of the traffic, especially if you're on the freeway - mines on the right and I'm going to change it over.

Comment

Originally posted by 98kellrs View Post
                          Have you ridden with a GoPro attached to your helmet? I have, and it's hardly an aerodynamic shape...

I agree for fixed mounting GoPro is the best, but for a daily helmet cam something small and barrel shaped is way more practical.
                          Yeh used them as helmet cams and they are not the most practical, but the latest ones are getting quite thin, small and light and more rounded off.

Image quality cannot be beaten though.

Comment

Drift also has lcd monitor built in, and I think the barrel can rotate to get it level.

I like the sound of that PVR mode....

Picture quality is pretty good whatever you get.
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

Comment

Originally posted by 98kellrs View Post

its so light though - I really don't notice it on the helmet except when I look at it. In a full headwind at freeway speeds, it sometimes makes a tiny almost inaudible whistle, but compared to the rest of the helmet noise, its nothing - but yes, a barrel one like a Contour or Drift would likely be better in that regard, but the biggest advantage is that its more discrete.

Comment

Working...
                              X