Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSWs idea to increase driving distractions

Probably wrong area, but,

Speed Adviser < Intelligent Speed Adaptation < Road Safety Technology < Research < About the Centre < NSW Centre for Road Safety

Thoughts?

I think it's a f*cking stupid idea that's going to mean more people using their phone...

Also note at the bottom that P2 and full license holders are allowed to use the phone whilst driving, didn't know that

^^^ more phone drivers in the name of road safety. Some Einstein at NSW centre for road safety needs to lose their job, and I'm writing an email to that effect right now.

If this idea gets traction in NSW, there will be someone wants to bring it to WA.
    www.hurtlegear.com.au

Comment

So now they will be watching the app screen and the speedo instead of the road ..... oh yeh really good idea
      Don't even think about it. You know who you are.

Comment

/me puts on my tin-foil hat

So, this is a government produced app.....that ties you (through your phone) to your location (via your phones GPS) and your speed.....

Yeah right.....as if I'm going to put that on my phone

Comment

Waste of tax payer dollars

Why would anyone use such an inadequate app when you could run Trapster,Waze Navigon or TomTom etc which are far more helpful

Comment

Originally posted by donkeyboy View Post
            /me puts on my tin-foil hat

So, this is a government produced app.....that ties you (through your phone) to your location (via your phones GPS) and your speed.....

Yeah right.....as if I'm going to put that on my phone
            This.

It's a VERY short step away for them to be able to issue infringements based on the GPS data sent to them from your phone.
            Originally posted by Desmo
            Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Email Address - [email protected]

Mr Duncan Gay
              Minister for Transport
              New South Wales Government
              1 Farrer Pl
              SYDNEY NSW 2000

Dear Mr Gay,

My name is Dave Roberts and as a motorcyclist I am vitally interested in Road Safety. I have a number of friends who have lost their lives on the road and I now have a number of children using our roads.

I have also been the party deemed “not at fault” in an accident that caused my vehicle to be written off, and I am more and more aware of inattention being a killer on our roads.

Specifically, I have come to believe that mobile phone use is a primary cause of death and disability on the road. I believe that there is significant evidence that this is the case, and I would draw to your attention a recent “blitz” on mobile phone use by West Australian police and their charging of more than 1400 drivers for use of a mobile in a period of 6 weeks. At that time the Commissioner of WA Police was quoted as saying that use of the telephone on the road is unacceptable and will be pursued vigorously.

Your recent launch of the Speed Advisor mobile phone app disappoints me and I consider it enough to be a vote changer. I believe it is ill considered and I hope you will reconsider your support of such a retrograde piece of technology.

Any item which encourages us of the mobile phone in a car should be seen as a threat to road safety, and it seems this will attract people's attention at moments when they most need to be concentrating on the road. School zones are the last place I want to see more inattention.

I hope you will see this as an idea which should be quietly killed off.

Sincerely,

Dave Roberts.
              www.hurtlegear.com.au

Comment

Typical!
                One step forward and 3 backwards.

Comment

Thank you for contacting the Office of the Minister for Roads and Ports.

Your inquiry is being attended to and a response will be forwarded to you in due course.

Please be aware that this inbox receives a high volume of correspondence so it may be some weeks before you receive your reply.

Regards

Office of the Minister for Roads and Ports.
                  The Hon. Duncan Gay MLC
                  Level 35, Governor Macquarie Tower
                  1 Farrer Pl, SYDNEY NSW 2000

Weeks.
                  www.hurtlegear.com.au

Comment

and 19% decline in brain function!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Would put most Perth drivers on par with a pot plant ...

Comment

but more dangerous, due to internal combustion
                        www.hurtlegear.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Hurtlegear View Post

If this idea gets traction in NSW, there will be someone wants to bring it to WA.
                          dont worry, there is still a 45 year buffer on new ideas entering WA.

on a serious note see a very very slight benefit to this. i very rarley look at my speedo while riding, so i dont look at speed signs. when im in the car ill cruise along and go past a speed camera thinking fuck, how fast was i meant to be going.
                          this does not outweigh the massive downsides tho.

Comment

if you need this app because you regularly don't know the speed limit on the road you're travelling, you are likely a retard or a fucking retard. so, you shouldn't be driving in the first place (but, being retarded, you probably don't know that).
                            Last edited by Bukefal; 18-02-2014, 07:36 PM. Reason: sigh

Comment

My phone already does this in the map app. Useful as it also beeps if you go over the limit (by an amount you set yourself). It is best for when you can't find any speed limit signs. Obviously I only have maps on when I'm going places that I haven't been before so normally it is totally redundant. Roads outside of the metro area aren't covered (on my phone) though and it makes me appreciate when I do have it.
                              Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.

Comment

Working...
                              X