WD40 Superbike Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WD40 Superbike Experiment

Cleaned my 525 chain, link by link with WD40.

For this experiment I'm no longer going to use anything but WD40 as a lube. I'm good to lube frequently seeming the tank runs out at 120kms, I'm thinking WD40 lube on my chain will do just fine.

Been reading other mc forums on this to form a balanced opinion and theres not a more controversial topic around. Very strong opinions in each camp. Its probably 50/50 !

Will report back to this thread if anything develops but frankly I don't see anything bad coming from this.

Things to note:
    • I'll lube before every ride
    • I don't ride in rain/wet weather
    • I generally don't ride further than 50kms at a time
    • Chain has 12,000kms on it already
    • Chain is tensioned correctly
    • Took 3 full sessions to finally have chain stop rubbing black shit off onto rags / rags are now clean everytime.

Preliminary findings are that there is much less rolling friction and was proven today as bike achieved an additional 20km when it normally does 120kms per 9ltr fill.

So far so good. No signs of wear on O-rings, no signs of wear on roller surfaces.

140kms in.

[MENTION=6669]Rich...[/MENTION] post your Monster/CRC findings here too with pics...
    Last edited by Gippo; 03-03-2014, 08:11 PM.
    Its all good on Ducati's

now do it in the wet.

Edit: do it over an entire winter/rain ride errday. inb4 ducatis dont ride in wet.

Edit 2: i honestly hope you didn't expect wear in <150km, shit i wouldn't expect wear using no lube in >1000km
    Originally posted by Rich...
    You got me in trouble...

Comment

mmm OK well I hope all goes well for you, especially the bike, which is??

Comment

Originally posted by Sookie View Post
        now do it in the wet.

Edit: do it over an entire winter/rain ride errday. inb4 ducatis dont ride in wet.

Edit 2: i honestly hope you didn't expect wear in <150km, shit i wouldn't expect wear using no lube in >1000km
        Its a week end warrior, if it rains it stays covered. So this experiment is not about water related chain issues.

I'll update the thread every 140kms (thats every tank fill) until chain is rooted or until everyone gets bored and figures WD40 is good to go.
        Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

inb4 how much chain wear do you get on the back of a truck/paddock stands

But its a good experiment, worst case it will risk the cost of a new sprocket/chain set. Subscribed.

Comment

hes on a 848
            wring its neck and get back to us.
            REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
            (anarchy in english )

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
              mmm OK well I hope all goes well for you, especially the bike, which is??
              848 EVO.

It will be fine, its getting lubed every 50kms.... I hope its not "famous last words" but a spray every 50kms of a light oil can't be a bad thing.
              Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Originally posted by Gippo View Post
                Its a week end warrior, if it rains it stays covered. So this experiment is not about water related chain issues.

I'll update the thread every 140kms (thats every tank fill) until chain is rooted or until everyone gets bored and figures WD40 is good to go.
                wow,
                cafe racer yeah
                REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                (anarchy in english )

Comment

Am keen to see the results of this.

Also report on the colour of the chain after each ride , and if the black shit still flings everywhere. Being a Nancyboy , I rarely ride long k's anyway, so your observations will be read with interest.
                  Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Comment

848's are real easy on chains and sprockets anyway, then don't have the torque to mince up a 525 chain and don't pull many revs either.

Did you say you ride it 50ks at a time ?

That really is a weekend warrior
                    2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale
                    2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R x2
                    2012 KAWASAKI ZX6R SUPERSTOCK RACE BIKE (Alive Again!)
                    2009 YAMAHA R6 SUPERSPORT TRACK/RACE BIKE
                    2008 HONDA CBR1000RR SUPERBIKE TRACK/RACE BIKE
                    2012 KAWASAKI NINJA 250 PRODUCTION RACE BIKE

Comment

Originally posted by GIXXEN View Post
                      848's are real easy on chains and sprockets anyway, then don't have the torque to mince up a 525 chain and don't pull many revs either.

Did you say you ride it 50ks at a time ?

That really is a weekend warrior
                      It goes for a blat twice or thrice a week end. So about 120kms to 140kms per week end. Skip a week end here and there.

The following is from Wikipedia:

Power
                      134 hp (100 kW) @ 10,000 rpm

Torque
                      70.8 lb·ft (96.0 N·m) @ 8,250 rpm

Rev limiter at 13,000 rpm
                      Last edited by Gippo; 03-03-2014, 08:29 PM.
                      Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Good stuff, certainly keeping the Kay's down mate
                        2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale
                        2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R x2
                        2012 KAWASAKI ZX6R SUPERSTOCK RACE BIKE (Alive Again!)
                        2009 YAMAHA R6 SUPERSPORT TRACK/RACE BIKE
                        2008 HONDA CBR1000RR SUPERBIKE TRACK/RACE BIKE
                        2012 KAWASAKI NINJA 250 PRODUCTION RACE BIKE

Comment

I feel so dirty. My chain is disgusting.

Comment

Great experiment that BikeRider already has the results from.

- BikeRider has sworn by WD40/CRC for chain lubrication for at least a few years.

- BikeRider always rides rain hail or shine.

- BikeRider has never owned a car in approx thirty years of motorcycle riding.

- BikeRider does lots of Kms. I am sure some people around here do more, but not many.

- BikeRider has the cleanest, longest lasting chains I have ever seen.

- BikeRider is a lazy fuck like me who isn't into religiously cleaning or maintaining anything. Anything.

- BikeRider has chain o'rings that have expanded to the size of galaxies and have exploded then imploded onto themselves like black holes, but doesn't give a f**k cause his chains last longer than ever before, since giving up using snake oil (Chain lube). I made up that stoopid shit about exploding etc.

- BikeRider, like me, I think, feels that most chain lube companies probably don't want you all to know they are conning you all with their average products.

- BikeRider now has a bike with a shaft drive. I hope he doesn't replace his shaft drive oil with WD40 for another experiment...

Originally posted by BikeRider View Post
                            WD40 is the stuff. If you are planning 1000km in a day then perhaps a 2nd light application at the 500km mark wouldn't go astray. The chain can be wiped down straight after if cleanliness is an issue and the rim cleans off with the wipe of a rag. It doesn't build up a layer of grime & dirt that blends into the lubricant forming a grinding paste and it is available at your local supermarket.
                            My last 5 chains have done the following Km's using only WD40.
                            82000km - GSX1400 Suzuki
                            60000km - GT650S Hyosung
                            63000km - ZZR1100 Kawasaki
                            70000km - ZZR
                            80000km - ZZR

Comment

chains n bikers are spos be dirty!!
                              faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

Working...
                              X