Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki GSX-R750 vs GSX-R1000 K7/K8 models

Hey Guys,

The time has come for me to make a choice for my next upgrade. However, i'd like to get your POV's on my choices as per the title. All opinions are welcome eg. those who own one, owned before, or know someone who does, please share your views.

It has always been my dream bike since i was a kid and I've narrowed it down to the two above choices. Please take note of the following points that are my main concerns:
    1. Pricing difference between the two have been noted
    2. Brake recall issue a big problem or nothing to worry?
    3. Will i ever push the bike to it's full capacity in WA
    4. $$$ is a huge deal to me, well at least to most humans, insurance pricing difference and cost of maintenance
    5. Biggest concern here-Will i ever get 'bored' of a 750 and regret not buying the 1000 ( majority have said that cc's do not prove anything as 750's have been known to beat 1000's as it is the riders experience that matter the most)

I'd like to thank you guys in advance for any opinions/ views you may offer. Cheers!

Sounds like you've spent some keyboard hours on your decision. Have you actually ridden either of them? I think that's how I'd make the final call.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

Ride them both.. you will find that around town it makes little to no difference.. first gear will top out over 100 and you can lose your license in second.

2. Brake issues .. not to worry.. there's several work arounds and upgrades available. Again if you were hardcore you'd go with upgraded master cylinder, braided lines, upgraded callipers, wavy discs and hi temp ebc type pads. Around town and for the weekend blast you'd be ok with the factory stuff.

3. Depends on how you ride. The max speed limit i've seen around WA is 110 on country roads. Both bikes will probably do this in first or second gear.

4. Ride what you can afford. Please get insurance and maintain her well!.

5. "Bored" is a matter of opinion. Lets be realistic here, what are you planning to do on the weekends with the bike? I assume this because you are worried about insurance and money, means you will use this bike daily or on public roads.

My personal opinion is that the difference between 750 and 1000 isn't really noticable until over $2.00, as their acceleration times and 1/4 mile is very subjective depending on rider. If you end up regretting the 750, sell up and upgrade?

Comment

I've done quite a few kays on a GSXR750 K7, including Brisbane to Perth in 3 days...

I used to own and did a little racing on a GSXR1000 K6...

Both these bikes were in the garage at the same time and my opinion is this...

You got a twisty road ahead and you want to get to the end the fastest, take the 750...

The 750 was quicker into and thru the corner than the 1000 and was less stress doing it...

As you exit the corner the 1000 comes to life and leaves the 750 behind all the way down the straight...

But if you want to lay black lines out of corners and wheelie anywhere anytime, then take the 1000...

Comment

I've been riding a 600 for 6 1/2 years and it is "quick enough". Yes, I'm looking to upgrade, but thats just as much because it now has 94,000km on it as anything else. The bike will still out-ride me.

If this is your first big bore, anything is going to feel quite fast.

As rich said, litre bikes excel at wheelies, black lines and 0 to hoon-law speed in first gear.

If that's what you're chasing...

A 600/750 will be friendlier out of corners (especially in the wet) as it has less torque - by the time it gets up into the power band fully you're already out of the typical low speed suburban corner. A litre bike will spin up much easier.

Either bike will keep up on most spirited rides. If you can't keep up, it's not the bike's fault. And yes, also as above, even 600s supersport 600s are pretty quick up to 200. Above that the litre will wheelie off into the distance. Ask yourself how often you're likely to be riding like that
          Last edited by thro; 04-03-2014, 01:18 PM.
          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I spend some time on an R6 now...

600s are, well not gutless, but by god you have to thrash the tits off them to make anything happen...

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
              I spend some time on an R6 now...

600s are, well not gutless, but by god you have to thrash the tits off them to make anything happen...
              This is part of the appeal

edit:
              but yes, freeway a litre will probably be a lot less buzzy and pull in any gear. the smaller sports bikes you may need to use your gear lever a bit more.
              Last edited by thro; 04-03-2014, 01:20 PM.
              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by K1GxR View Post
                Ride them both.. you will find that around town it makes little to no difference.. first gear will top out over 100 and you can lose your license in second.

2. Brake issues .. not to worry.. there's several work arounds and upgrades available. Again if you were hardcore you'd go with upgraded master cylinder, braided lines, upgraded callipers, wavy discs and hi temp ebc type pads. Around town and for the weekend blast you'd be ok with the factory stuff.

3. Depends on how you ride. The max speed limit i've seen around WA is 110 on country roads. Both bikes will probably do this in first or second gear.

4. Ride what you can afford. Please get insurance and maintain her well!.

5. "Bored" is a matter of opinion. Lets be realistic here, what are you planning to do on the weekends with the bike? I assume this because you are worried about insurance and money, means you will use this bike daily or on public roads.

My personal opinion is that the difference between 750 and 1000 isn't really noticable until over $2.00, as their acceleration times and 1/4 mile is very subjective depending on rider. If you end up regretting the 750, sell up and upgrade?
                This helped heaps, thanks!
                2. I'll prob he okay with factory for the time being till i become more experienced
                3/5. It'll most likely be a weekend bike as I have to wear a suit to work, so that's ghey. Track days are still far from it cause i'll want to learn as much as possible beforehand.
                4. Point taken, my mate is getting ass raped by his R1 insurance and i knew i needed to put that into consideration

Haha sell up and upgrade... i wish =)
                Thanks for your views. Appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                  I've been riding a 600 for 6 1/2 years and it is "quick enough". Yes, I'm looking to upgrade, but thats just as much because it now has 94,000km on it as anything else. The bike will still out-ride me.

If this is your first big bore, anything is going to feel quite fast.

As rich said, litre bikes excel at wheelies, black lines and 0 to hoon-law speed in first gear.

If that's what you're chasing...

A 600/750 will be friendlier out of corners (especially in the wet) as it has less torque - by the time it gets up into the power band fully you're already out of the typical low speed suburban corner. A litre bike will spin up much easier.

Either bike will keep up on most spirited rides. If you can't keep up, it's not the bike's fault. And yes, also as above, even 600s supersport 600s are pretty quick up to 200. Above that the litre will wheelie off into the distance. Ask yourself how often you're likely to be riding like that

Well said, thanks for that input, "As rich said, litre bikes excel at wheelies, black lines and 0 to hoon-law speed in first gear."--- yehh def not trying to earn points here.
                  Think i'm inclined more towards the 750 after today LOL but i'll def hit the dealers to give both a try this weekend. I did forget to mention i'm a 6 footer, would that matter with either bikes?

Comment

6 foot isn't a problem on either...

Comment

I'm 6 foot.

The CBR600 I ride is big enough, and that's probably the smallest 600 out there.

I had no problem on the GSX-R 750 either... or my RGV250 for that matter, though that does feel a little snug.

I suspect if you find the size of 600s and 750s an issue, a 1000 won't be much different (there's not a huge size difference) - you'll be looking for a Busa or similar.

Comment

I have an 07 GSX-R750 and lurve it to bits, they have the best stock shortie pipe! The 08 model doesn't.

I also have an 08 GSX-R1000, but much rather ride the 750 in suburbia, it is still a fantastic ride out on the open roads, doubt you'd really ever need more.

But heh ride them both, but easy on the throttle of the 1000, it's a freakin weapon!!!!

Comment

Oh yeah...the pipe...

As said, the K7 750 has the best stock pipe on any Jap bike ever made...period...

Sound and looks...

Comment

People that own 600s/750s will say get a 750.
                            People that own 1000s will say get a 1000.
                            People that commute on their bikes will say get a 750.
                            People that yolo on their bikes will say get a 1000.

If your concern is you will get bored get a 1000.
                            If you have never wheelied before get a 1000. The amount of people that blame their under powered 600,636,700,750,848,898,900 and every number between when they see me or anyone else wheelie on a 1000 is fucking annoying.

Put simply, wanna go fast always? Get a 1000.
                            Wanna 'enjoy the ride for the ride'? Get a 750.

PS: 750's are much harder to wheelie as the 'nose' is heavier.
                            PPS: 1000's are better because I ride one.
                            PPPS: If your asking if your going to get bored, I already know you want to buy a 1000 but you are looking for a good reason to explain to your parents/mates.
                            Originally posted by Rich...
                            You got me in trouble...

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
                              I have an 07 GSX-R750 and lurve it to bits, they have the best stock shortie pipe! The 08 model doesn't.

I also have an 08 GSX-R1000, but much rather ride the 750 in suburbia, it is still a fantastic ride out on the open roads, doubt you'd really ever need more.

But heh ride them both, but easy on the throttle of the 1000, it's a freakin weapon!!!!
                              mm mm loving your taste Stoneville. Thanks! i'll look forward to test out the 07 :p

Comment

Working...
                              X