I've been writing about bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been writing about bikes

Now that I live up here in Canada I've landed myself a gig writing about cars.
    Well, our company just started doing other content too, and I've managed to line up a few bike reviews.
    These are the first two.
    Motorcycle Review: 2015 Yamaha FZ-07 Review | autoTRADER.ca
    Motorcycle Review: 2014 Honda CBR650F Review | autoTRADER.ca

Your feedback is always welcome.
    Upcoming reviews include:
    Honda Grom
    Forza 300
    Can-Am Spyder
    Suzuki V-Strom 650
    Honda VFR 800
    The Twitter

Nice gig! Just some additional things I like to see when reading reviews on everyday road bikes:
    Vibrations if any (very few reviews mention the annoying vibes the Z1000 has at around 110kmh, you can ride around it but its there)
    Windblast
    Brake feel.
    The noise! Although I expect both those bikes were pretty quiet.

On a more specific note, how was the fuelling on the FZ07/MT07 especially in relation to the MT09? I've heard some people complain about the bike cutting out in the middle of a ride, but could be a bad batch.
    Other than that great read! You get bonus points for that massive PSB sticker on your helmet
    PS I want a Grom! Do it Honda!
    If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided.

Comment

Thanks bud! I'll be talking about wind noise on the V-Strom, and the Forza for sure. Vibration too.
      The Twitter

Comment

bwahahaha "Jacob Black is not a werewolf". Well done mate!! You're living the dream we're all having.

looking forward to your upcoming reviews!

Comment

Enjoy'd those, however the Canadian audience is far to chilled for my liking... I mean come on, no comment war below the articles about clutch-less shifting...

Comment

Originally posted by ride2live View Post
            Enjoy'd those, however the Canadian audience is far to chilled for my liking... I mean come on, no comment war below the articles about clutch-less shifting...
            I would suggest if you went to bikesales.com.au the comment would be any more outlandish, we have Perth squealy bitches for that!
            Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

The articles are definitely as good as any I have read (I have an AMCN subscription too), looks like you could have a new career in the future!

The only thing I could add is to compared the bikes to the class leader - or a decent bike that is similar enough. There are too many 'this is great' comments in most motorcycling articles these days (not singling you out here) and the reader is always going to realise that a modern bike is going to be pretty well sorted in terms of power / reliability / build quality etc, what they really want to here is why should I buy this bike over the alternative, what other bikes should I consider as a competitor and how is this bike going to benefit me or hinder me and the type of riding I do compared to these bikes.

I am not saying every test should be a comparo, but if you said - the forks are lacking adjustment like the 'XYZ' however this is reflected in the price etc that would be better than 'the forks do their job really well'. Which might be great for the every day rider at the design weight, but for someone hitting the track, weighing more (or less), likes a firm/soft bike or carries a pillion regularly, the point of adjustability makes a big difference. Some decent technical criticism is usually what is lacking in many reviews IMO, the only problem with doing this is that many bike companies may be less inclined to let you ride the bikes I suppose. This is why i generally get an idea of a bike I like and look at forums etc to see real world criticisms of that bike, because most mag reviews say the bikes are always brilliant.

Comment

Jacob Black is not a werewolf.
                Gold.

Comment

Slot in couple of Kwakas too

I have ER6 and I'd like to see your review on one
                  Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
                  remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
                  Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
                  Who died while defending his right of way;
                  He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
                  But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

Originally posted by acdcfan View Post
                    Slot in couple of Kwakas too

I have ER6 and I'd like to see your review on one
                    I don't think that's how it works...

Comment

I don't think that's how it works...
                      OK
                      I don't know how these things works
                      Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
                      remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
                      Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
                      Who died while defending his right of way;
                      He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
                      But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

Originally posted by acdcfan View Post
                        OK
                        I don't know how these things works
                        Taking a stab in the dark as I'm not 100% sure, but I think it depends on what the manufacturer invites them to ride, what's new on the market/popular choice, and what the boss say's.

Comment

Taking a stab in the dark as I'm not 100% sure, but I think it depends on what the manufacturer invites them to ride, what's new on the market/popular choice, and what the boss say's.
                          I was a journo for many years - different field, but paid to write all the same - and you've summed it up pretty accurately mate.

Oh, and top stuff [MENTION=5142]resist[/MENTION]
                          I'm looking for a beautiful woman with a sick mind.

Comment

Are you going to be doing more motorcycle writing that isn't reviews, like your life experience stuff...

You could regale people with stories of helicopters, or crashing in big holes while drunk...

Nice work Jacob...

Comment

Pretty much bang on. We're beholden to what each manufacturer has on fleet, and which ones respond to our emails.

Thanks all for your kind words too.
                              The Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X