2005 ktm 990 sd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 ktm 990 sd

Hy was just wondering what everyone's experience is with the 990 SD? Any big problems to look out for?

The clutch slave cylinder tends to fail - Oberon (and others) make replacements. Not sure if the KTM item has been redesigned to fix the issue. Early models had problems with the starter gear setup that was fixed under warranty.

Both of these problems are likely to be fixed on a 2005 model though, unless it has been garaged the whole time.

Some have had issues with the water pump seals and shafts going quite early due to sand left in the cooling system from the casting of the block. Mine has done 30,000km with no issues but the coolant has been drained a few times to try to flush anything out.

Apart from that I'm only aware of minor issues such as the BGC (big grey connector) on the front of the bike not being very well waterproofed, which can lead to FI issues and erratic idle until you pack it full of grease. Check out www.superduke.net for common issues and solutions.

Comment

What sites do you use for parts etc

Who do you recommend in perth and to work on them as well
      Higher level of Living, Eastern Hills Area

Comment

I do my own work usually. Have heard good things about Protwin but I don't know if they do KTMs or only Ducati. Causeway KTM/Ducati do parts but I don't think they hold any stock for the 990. I usually get parts off ebay or something as I have mostly needed oil filters or parts to repair crash damage rather than consumable type parts. I usually use this site http://www.ktmpartfinder.com/ to find part numbers which can make it easier to track parts down as well.

Comment

KTM Australias main distribution centre is based in Perth so getting parts is easy
          B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Awesome cheers for the info. Yeh looking at an 05 and it's in really good nick with pretty low kms

Comment

Had mine for nearly 5 years now, 45k's on the clock and no problems at all. Any of the early issues would have already been sorted.
              Engines are good for about 100k, plenty of 990 ADV floating around with more K's than that.
              Protwin are the guys to see, know what they are doing with TuneECU.
              Plenty of info and support on superduke.net.
              What does it have in the way of mods?
              The best things in life are free.
              The second best things...............are really expensive.

Comment

Sweet as. Just pipes the rest is stock

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and what sort of kms do you get everyone says they are thirsty but that's all they say? Cheers

Comment

With the pipes fitted it might have the Akra map loaded which runs pretty rich and as the 05-06 has a smaller 15lt tank (compared to 18lt on later models) and depending on how hard it is ridden (probably fairly hard it is an SD after all), I wouldn't expect to get much more than 180km to a tank.
                  I have seen 200 km on mine once but that was just putting along with the missus on her ZZR250.
                  It has no fuel guage but a low fuel light which comes on with about 5 lts left.
                  I dont commute on it so never really found it a problem.
                  Alternatively ride with a mate who has a Hypermotard, he will be stopping heaps more than you.

Comment

Well that's it isn't it you don't buy one for the fuel efficiency. Sounds like I need to get my $$ sorted to buy it. Have you read into doing the tank conversion? Looked through the sites and only seen one bloke do it. Sorry for the thousand questions haha

Comment

Wow. 180km seems like a luxury. I get about 120km with Leo Vince pipes and Akra map, and I commute, so I have to fill up once a week even if I don't ride anywhere apart from my normal commute.

While we are on the topic (nearly), does anyone have the TuneECU equipment to flash my bike back to standard map? I can pay in beer . I'm going to change the exhaust back as I'm finding it is just too loud (even with earplugs). If not I might take it in to ProTwin.

Comment

Originally posted by richarde View Post
                        Wow. 180km seems like a luxury. I get about 120km with Leo Vince pipes and Akra map, and I commute, so I have to fill up once a week even if I don't ride anywhere apart from my normal commute.

While we are on the topic (nearly), does anyone have the TuneECU equipment to flash my bike back to standard map? I can pay in beer . I'm going to change the exhaust back as I'm finding it is just too loud (even with earplugs). If not I might take it in to ProTwin.
                        Yeh I get about 130km when the fuel light comes on but usually have about 5lt left, bit bloody annoying.
                        I have the TuneECU cable, program and a copy of the standard map if you want to reload it, been a while since I have done it but can probably stumble through it, its not difficult. Won't even cost you a beer. Drop me a PM if you are keen.
                        Alternatively I will swap my round Akra's for your Leo's
                        Last edited by scamb; 13-10-2014, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stretch089 View Post
                          Well that's it isn't it you don't buy one for the fuel efficiency. Sounds like I need to get my $$ sorted to buy it. Have you read into doing the tank conversion? Looked through the sites and only seen one bloke do it. Sorry for the thousand questions haha
                          Tank swap is an essentially easy but would come at a fair cost. The side covers (bit with Superduke written on them) also need replacing as later models are different.
                          If you can source an undamaged tank and covers cheaply it would be worth it but not sure the cost would outweigh the benefit.
                          Have you had a ride of it yet?

Comment

The joy of ktm and being expensive on parts 😒 yeh I took one for a test ride and have never had such s big smile on my face the whole time and the sound is second to none

Comment

Parts wise they are probably not really more expensive than anything else out there, replacement tanks for anything will be excy. They sure a shed load of fun and with a little work you can get weight down to sub 190kg fully fueled.

Comment

Working...
                              X