Kevlar Jeans....do they really work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevlar Jeans....do they really work?

I've been thinking about this for a while now.

Has anyone ever had an accident wearing a pair and what was the damage?

Did they hold up to the job or are they an expensive waste of money?

Also does washing them regularly damage the Kevlar?
    sigpic Sponsored by (08) 9250 5567

Yes a had a small lowside and just wore the knee through, sent them back to Draggins and they repaired them for me.

I have also had 2 small offs with normal jeans and suffered the same fate, go figure.

Do not wash them much, they have washing instructions on them.

For fast country runs I would still go the leather, kevlars don;t have to be expensive, you can buy many these days cheaper than some expensive designer jeans!

Comment

I have a pair of ktm labelled draggins and came off at about 40 - 50 km/h, slid about 10-15m on my side, hands and knees and they held up brilliantly. Still wear them every day. Couple of grazes and bruises and that was it. Cant vouch for impact protection though as i didn't hit anything (except the road!!)
      Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

Comment

Yes I have crashed in draggins.

They worked better than i suspect regular jeans would have, however, a couple of caveats:

The kevlar does degrade over time. I'd throw them away after a year or two depending on how much you ride.
        You may get grazes/friction burns from the kevlar inside them.

But short summary:

Situation: Highside at 50-60km/h
        Result: i have had worse grazes on my BMX as a kid

They're a decent trade off of convenience vs. protection. You can wear them at work, in between rides, etc.

They're nowhere near as good as full leather pants, but a LOT more convenient, which means you're far more likely to actually wear them. Just don't expect them to be a leather replacement, suitable for all situations, because they're not.
        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

leather is better, but yes, kevlar jeans work (assuming kevlar is positioned correctly).

this thread has lots of accounts of how safety gear has held up in crashes:
          https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...d.php?t=102945

my experience with kevlar jeans:
          https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...=1#post3004248

Comment

Thanks for that.
            Mine are slowly turning from black to grey so I guess it's time to replace them.

Good to hear that they actually do what they say on the label.
            sigpic Sponsored by (08) 9250 5567

Comment

I replaced my Draggins with something I felt would give me superior impact protection and not be unbearable in summer:

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=8113

I think the polyester/nylon blend is the same as you'll find in textile jackets, so should travel down the road pretty well.
              Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
              1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

Originally posted by Loud View Post
                I replaced my Draggins with something I felt would give me superior impact protection and not be unbearable in summer:

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=8113

I think the polyester/nylon blend is the same as you'll find in textile jackets, so should travel down the road pretty well.
                My last helmet a shoei z-100 Kevlar reinforced I didn't realize till I read these posts Kevlar is nylon ,I would be worried about fire we were taught to use leather or cotton as they don't stick to your skin in a fire like nylon does and I have seen a couple of bike crashes where the bike has burst into flame ,have you considered this in your choice or are they treated with fire retardent.

Comment

T-boned a car that pulled out in front of me at 80kph, over the bonnet I go and down the road. Didn't get to see the draggin jeans I was wearing because the ambo's cut them off me. I had no grazes on me at all, the ambo's said they couldn't believe how well the draggin jeans worked.

I always wear at least my draggin's while riding, as said before leather is way better.

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                    Yes I have crashed in draggins.

They worked better than i suspect regular jeans would have, however, a couple of caveats:

The kevlar does degrade over time. I'd throw them away after a year or two depending on how much you ride.
                    You may get grazes/friction burns from the kevlar inside them.

But short summary:

Situation: Highside at 50-60km/h
                    Result: i have had worse grazes on my BMX as a kid

They're a decent trade off of convenience vs. protection. You can wear them at work, in between rides, etc.

They're nowhere near as good as full leather pants, but a LOT more convenient, which means you're far more likely to actually wear them. Just don't expect them to be a leather replacement, suitable for all situations, because they're not.
                    You would be surprised how strong a pair of blue denim jeans are ,I high sided my superbolder at over the ton ,i was wearing Levis a black leather stagg jacket and flying boots ,I went tumbling sliding down the road on my ass for over 100 meters and didn't get a graze under my jeans nor a tear in them ,true story Dec 88 !

Comment

In saying that^^^ my mate fell off with me on the back, in our younger years! and while I came out unscathed he had a nasty tear to his knee and leg through denim and that was at <50kph on hard gravel. But I guess it all depends on how you come off... Do you really want to risk skin grafts? I wear a pair of RST Kevlar denim and have enough faith.. If fallen at 40kph and not a mark on the pants
                      A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a Unicorn.

Comment

Originally posted by the legend View Post
                        My last helmet a shoei z-100 Kevlar reinforced I didn't realize till I read these posts Kevlar is nylon ,I would be worried about fire we were taught to use leather or cotton as they don't stick to your skin in a fire like nylon does and I have seen a couple of bike crashes where the bike has burst into flame ,have you considered this in your choice or are they treated with fire retardent.
                        It states that the calves are flame retardant.

Did the rider stay on the bike after the crash, before the bike burst in to flames?
                        Last edited by Loud; 12-10-2014, 12:18 AM.
                        Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                        1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

Stuck my bike under a car once at 80kph. Went for a nice slide down the road followed by a bit of tumbling. Was wearing draggin jeans and a leather jacket.

Wore holes through the denim on the knees, almost wore it through on the arse, scuffed the jacket up pretty hard and totalled the lid. The ambos were called, and although I went for checkups and observation due to mild concussion and had plenty of deep bruises, I certainly didn't loose any skin. The ambos were quite impressed with them, said they had never seen them before and they thought they were great.

I tend to agree. I rate them highly.

Comment

Yes
                            Very well actually.
                            REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                            (anarchy in english )

Comment

My last pair I had for ~ years and went from blue to almost white they had faded so much I had several offs with them on, the 1st about 4 years ago at ~65-70kmh and the Draggin's rode up and wore through just at where the Kevlar panel ends below the knee leaving a bad "carpet burn"

I put a patch on the hole and all was fine, then they started to wear out just below the belt line and also around the cuffs due to I guess the crashes, plus flapping about and washing Then I had another off about a year ago at ~90kmh and shredded them big time Saying that I went straight through the screen with my knee and they also caught on the steering damper as well as sliding along the ground so I did quite well, didn't stop the bruising though
                              I didn't wash them all the time though, only every month or so as I usually wore them over other trousers or shorts

Still 7 years and ~95000km's was a good run
                              #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                              Originally posted by Phildo
                              Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                              Originally posted by filbert
                              i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                              Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Working...
                              X