Binning the bike - newbie mistakes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binning the bike - newbie mistakes.

Ok - considering I haven't contributed much before and with recent posts of bikes going down, thought I'd start a discussion on bad habits we all may have (have learnt from) and for new riders (and sometimes more experienced riders) to be aware of.

(can't remember if something like this has been posted before)

For me - had a bad habit of pulling in the clutch when braking - was never a major problem for me until one night travelling down a very wet Leach Highway coming to a set of traffic lights / changing lanes clipped a cat-eye on the road - of course no power going to rear wheel so the next thing I know back end has fallen out from under me and bike and I are going for a slide at 30kmh. Needless to say - I don't pull the clutch in until I'm completely stopped now.

The other time - wet Canning Highway, set of traffic lights and one set of poor tyres - done 22000km. Again, went down, didn't slide much, pretty much fell straight down on my hip. I have now bugdeted a maintenance cost of at least $1500 per year just for road use. (3 sets of rubber at $350 - $400, brake pads, oil etc)

What are some other habits people can warn new riders about?

TARGET FIXATION - what a bitch that can be.

Cheers
    Glenn
    www.alertmotorcycleschool.com

7 Cossom Place
    BAYSWATER WA

(08) 9272 3311
    0405 148 062

Tailgating knowing i can pull up quicker than the car in front. Not taking into account my reaction time. 8)

Comment

Yeah tailgating - I guess when riding a bike we all KNOW we can stop quicker than car drivers ( not necessarily all cars). I occassionally get that over-confidence feeling going.

Used to hate being on the back of my girlfriends bike - literally felt like I could reach over her and touch the car in front travelling at 80kmh sometimes. All I could do was have faith in her ability (she is a very good rider) - the worst thing I think any pillion can do is place doubt in the riders mind whilst travelling. Leave it till when you get off.

7 Cossom Place
      BAYSWATER WA

(08) 9272 3311
      0405 148 062

Comment

Tailgating is especially dangerous when you are doing it and someone else starts tailgating you! In this case, if the car in front puts its anchors on, the bike should be able to pull up much quicker anyway...but what about the car behind you? They are going to go straight up your bum :x

I recently had a friend write off his mate's car in Adelaide co's he pulled up to a stop (someone in front was turning right) and a ute did'nt see him and went into the back of him at 60-70kkm/hr. There is no boot left on his EF Ford.
        Damo

Comment

Not looking where you want to go...

Took me a while to keep my head up while braking and to look through the corners...

Once I did that, my riding was more fun and safer...
          Aim high and consider yourself worthy of great things

Comment

Wheelies - oh so very bad :twisted:

Comment

Pulling stoppies and then easing off (shitting yourself co's u think you've got it up so high ) and then yanking the front anchors back on again in a desperate attempt to keep the stoppie going.....this only results in the front wheel locking up with the back still in the air :shock:

I havent crashed from that yet but its bloody scary. I put it down to inexperience and stupidity
              Damo

Comment

Oh...and to everyone: Dont ride side-saddle on your fuel tank looking behind you with your left arm waving to the car behind you for an extended period of time. My bike started to steer left and I had a front wheel wash-out from hitting the block of cement they call a curb

Thank god, both myself and the bike landed on the grass on the otherside of the curb and slid for a few metres. I was only going around 40km/hr when it happened but it still cost me $400 to get the front fairing plastic welded (where the rear mirror connects with the fairing). No side fairing damage though
                Damo

Comment

I still think that the biggest causes to noobs binning it is:

1) Riding above your skill level.
                  2) Trying stunts for the first time.
                  3) Not respecting the machine.
                  If you can... you MUST!

Comment

I'd have to say tailgating is one of my worst habbits...

That and looking at the eye candy too much.

BAD memory #241: Riding through Perth past the train station, looking at a FINE specimen of the female sex, realising too late that the sigma in front had stopped. Hit the anchors, but still hit it. Not hard, no damage etc... Just felt REALLY stupid!

:oops:

bman.
                    Reporting LIVE from Scotland!

Comment

1. Yes, 2.Yes, 3.Yes
                      I learned a valuble leason from this, and that was after having my first bike for 2 days, i did not have to skill level to pull endos.
                      Luckily it only ended up with a snapped side mirror and scratched fairings. lol

Comment

Yeah Klink - in terms of respecting the bike, I think one of the best things I did before moving up from the 250 was just sitting on my mates zx12r and just getting used to the throttle response. Just trying to keep that beast revving at 2000rpm (no more, no less) was a good experience. So I guess throttle control - smoothness on the throttle out of turns.

So maybe when riding a new bike for the first time (test riding at shops etc) just sit on the beast, relax and feel how smooth/rough the throttle is.

Again fairly basic for experienced riders - but for people moving up, can sometimes be painful.

7 Cossom Place
                        BAYSWATER WA

(08) 9272 3311
                        0405 148 062

Comment

Apologies for quoting myself.. but I got another thing to add:

4) Trying to impress others on a group ride.
                          If you can... you MUST!

Comment

I'm still pretty new to riding road bikes but I would say the thing that scared me the most was going into a sweeping corner a little bit quick and hopping on the anchors. The bike got rather unsettled and only thing that saved it was getting back on the throttle and laying it back down.

Comment

Apologies for quoting myself.. but I got another thing to add:

4) Trying to impress others on a group ride.
                              I have to agree with Klink... I have experienced sooo many new riders trying to impress the group they are riding with that things just happen to go wrong and they are left feeling sore and sorry for themselves with a huge bill to pay..
                              In all fairness though there are a few "more experienced riders" that have done that to me in the past and have ended up in the dirt/grass or up someones driveway trying to outrun a female.

Just ride to your capabilities, let your confidence build up slowly, get to know the bike you're riding.

Then you can have all the fun you like :!:

Oh :!: but beware of streetlight poles they have a tendancy to jump out in front of you :shock:
                              * ONE DOES NOT KNOW THE MEANING OF FREEDOM TILL THEY RIDE ! *

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans Ms">HAVE I MENTIONED I GOT TO HUG ROSSI????</span>

Comment

Working...
                              X