Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying first big bike.... Advice please

Hi all,

Looking at getting my first big bike now i have my R license... I have been riding a ninja 300... Is it bad to jump straight into a 1000 bike or should I be looking mid range like 600/750 then move up......

Appreciate the feed back...

Here's one we prepared earlier:

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...d.php?t=127480
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

<edited so many nasty comments>

Comment

As per the above linked thread, there's more opinions on the topic than there are stars in our galaxy. Here's mine to consider: buy whatever the fuck you want and ride it appropriate to your own abilities.

should I be looking mid range like 600/750 then move up
        No, you should just get what you want to start with. If you're already planning to upgrade before you've bought a bike, you're not buying for the right reasons. People can argue you learn better riding technique by starting small and progressing up, but it really boils down to two main things;

1) Are you even remotely interested in track riding?
        2) Are you already a competent road rider (ie. road smarts and awareness, essential intuition and ability to read other road users to avoid accidents).

If the answer to Q1 is yes, consider a 600 first. If no, fuck it, buy a thou and be smart about when you smash the throttle. That said, there's plenty of 1000cc bikes out there that are tame enough low down in the revs to be very learner friendly. If the answer to Q2 is no, it doesn't matter what you're riding, you're probably going to die anyway. What difference will it make if you're riding a CBR250 or a HP4 when you ride into the back of a truck or take a detour into the path of a tree?

Comment

So i'm kinda in the same boat as you I think your question is merely whether you're confident enough to ride something more powerful isn't it?
          You'll get as many responses to this as you will have choices of motorcycles.
          I've ridden a k8 GSXR 750 and 2011 r1 and theres crazy amount of power and throttle response compared to lams it's a massive jump either way 600cc up but between the 2 I felt more comfortable on the GSXR my opinion If you can ride responsibly I would not see it make any difference between a 600 or 1000cc.
          sigpic

Comment

this is a good read;
            https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...d.php?t=154765

Comment

As people have said in one of the older threads, your cock size will stay the same..
              Rest in Peace

Comment

Ride both sizes, I think you will get a surprise riding a 600, people seem to think they are slow which is false.

I upgraded from a ninja 250 to a k9 gixxer 600, and after riding the 600 for a year, I have never once regretted buying it or considered it slow.
                "Insert signature here"

Comment

I rode a mates Z750 in Europe, came back here, got my R class and went to the Z1000.

Loved the 750, but I thought, I don't want to buy it and then in a year want more power and ask myself "why didn't I get the thou" - see even with the 1000 if I wanted more there are mods of course but I can be safe in my reasoning that I got the best at the time and didn't settle for lower capacity.

The rest is all skill building (roadcraft too), responsibility and self control. Easier than it sounds tho.
                  Originally posted by boeman
                  Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

I mean fuck, im not a selfish cunt.
                  Originally posted by Chuck Steak
                  Well fuck off then. And wherever you decide to fuck off to, keep telling them Perth is a shithole - it may help minimise the number of fuckwits/arseholes (can’t decide which word is more appropriate ) that move here.

Comment

600's and 1000's are totally different in the way you ride them, go test ride both sizes and see which you prefer.

I have always enjoyed pushing a smaller capacity bike harder; I figure that there's no point owning a 300kmph weapon when you can only "legally" utilise a third of that. Can see the attraction of litre bikes but don't assume that anything less than a litre isn't a proper sports bike.
                    Ryan

Originally posted by Aufitt
                    Try Para045, he definitely sounds all gooey in the fork for ya

Comment

I went from a 250cc to a 1000cc, I with I had went to 600cc first. Not so much that you will bin the bike more that its
                      quite a steep learning curve that I think would of been eased with a 600.

Comment

I started on an old CM185T cruiser, then a GSX250R.....I was in Melb at the time and the 250 was too slow for me on the freeways, no power to get out of trouble or away from it, I am a biggish bloke so bought a CB1000F 1987 model and rode it for 10months illegally on a restricted license, this was 16yrs ago. The CB had a huge amount of power compared to the old 250 but I found it easier to handle. A mate once said to me, respect the power you have otherwise it will bite you and bite you hard. These words ring true every time I now get on my new GSF1250SA bandit.....just get what you really want and just respect the power.
                        "Opinions are like assholes..........everyone's got one"

Comment

as for the above comments, A 1000cc super sports is a pretty ballsy move. A 1000cc naked or 1000cc+ cruiser is a lot more sane.

The Z isn't a whole lot slower in a straight line between 0-200 than a super sports, but I tell you it's a tonne easier to ride. Especially at low speed / around town.
                          Originally posted by boeman
                          Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

I mean fuck, im not a selfish cunt.
                          Originally posted by Chuck Steak
                          Well fuck off then. And wherever you decide to fuck off to, keep telling them Perth is a shithole - it may help minimise the number of fuckwits/arseholes (can’t decide which word is more appropriate ) that move here.

Comment

1000cc too big a jump.
                            600cc not big enough.
                            Suggest 750cc or 848cc.
                            Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Buying first big bike.... Advice please

^ so a Gixxer or a Ducati [emoji13]

It doesn't really matter what you purchase as long as; you're happy with it, can afford to keep it and ride within your abilities.

Do some research on what bikes you like and take em out for a test ride.
                              Last edited by Crisp; 18-11-2014, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X