Another what bike to buy thread *sigh*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another what bike to buy thread *sigh*

As none of you know, well maybe a couple. I have just moved to north mandurah!
    And am looking to commute to the city on something a little cheaper than the black german.

Requirements

- Cost less than $3,500.
    - Be reliable
    - Be fun

hahaha, all those things for under $3,500, tell him he's dreaming.

Looking at KTM LC4 640's?

Any comments, however serious, are appreciated.
    Here lies the body of Harold Day
    He knew it was his right of way.
    He was right, dead right, as he rode along
    But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

Vespa PX 200,
    Stupid amount of mod parts for them(I have a 988 page Dogologue from one company)
    200cc, 2 stroke, 4 speed manual;
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/baysw...0e-/1070981900
    This friendly announcement was brought to you by WAPOL
    Taking peoples Cash for their Christmas Fund on Straight pieces of road

Comment

Suzuki SV650.
      TRX850.
      Firestorm.
      Originally posted by Desmo
      Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Keen View Post
        Suzuki SV650.
        +1

My little SV was a lot of fun - reliable, easy to manage, cheap to service, quicker than you would think - light, great for splitting etc etc.

Comment

early 2000s jap 4 cylinder

decent economy
          cheap parts
          most of them are reliable

at that price point I wouldn't be chasing specific brands, i'd be chasing well maintained bikes that meet the above criteria.

You could pick up an early R6, 600rr, F4i, ZX6, etc. or probably older litre bike.
          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

250 Ninja w/two brothers should do
            Rest in Peace
            Brother Ryad

Comment

- Welcome to the neighbourhood, good move!
              - Had my bike in for first service and used a Ktm 690 supermoto as a courtesy bike. It was like riding a tractor up the freeway. Riding position was comfortable, but that single thumping all the way up and back for 144km gave me a sore back. And did I mention omg slow. So wouldn't recommend.
              - You'd be surprised at how good your beemer will do on fuel in a straight line up and down freeway, I reckon you would get two round trips comfortably so if its fuel consumption I wouldn't worry about it. If its the km's then yes that depreciates your bike to the tune of 35,000kms per year. Oh, and I traded my gixxer to current bike so as to have a 10000km service interval which is essential. If the beemer is 6000kms interval then it will be in for a service every other week (that's how it feels).
              - If you go for a cheapie then probably anything Japanese
              Last edited by Marc78; 24-02-2015, 06:44 PM.
              “Fear keeps us alive. Never, not be afraid.” - Grug Crood.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandurah WA View Post
                - Welcome to the neighbourhood, good move!
                - Had my bike in for first service and used a Ktm 690 supermoto as a courtesy bike. It was like riding a tractor up the freeway. Riding position was comfortable, but that single thumping all the way up and back for 144km gave me a sore back. And did I mention omg slow. So wouldn't recommend.
                - You'd be surprised at how good your beemer will do on fuel in a straight line up and down freeway, I reckon you would get two round trips comfortably so if its fuel consumption I wouldn't worry about it. If its the km's then yes that depreciates your bike to the tune of 35,000kms per year. Oh, and I traded my gixxer to current bike so as to have a 10000km service interval which is essential. If the beemer is 6000kms interval then it will be in for a service every other week (that's how it feels).
                - If you go for a cheapie then probably anything Japanese
                The LC640 is a long long way from the 690 in a number of area's. Basically it doesn't meet two of your three criteria.
                Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

My brother in law looking at getting into bikes again ,he has a re licence I've been steering him in the direction of cbr 500 . He only doing very limited Kms a week from home to work,wants something reliable and cheap to run. Not hijacking the thread but any opinions?
                  No road to rough no muff to tough.

Comment

Get the CB500F, heaps nicer looking IMO once you change the can.

Great economy and has some torque. Blue instrument panel lighting on the F not the R for some reason.
                    “Fear keeps us alive. Never, not be afraid.” - Grug Crood.

Comment

Originally posted by supdog View Post
                      as none of you know, well maybe a couple. I have just moved to north mandurah!
                      And am looking to commute to the city on something a little cheaper than the black german.

Requirements

- cost less than $3,500.
                      - be reliable
                      - be fun

hahaha, all those things for under $3,500, tell him he's dreaming.

Looking at ktm lc4 640's?

Any comments, however serious, are appreciated.
                      +1 for SV650, a mate almost bought one but bought a scooter instead..

Why would you get an LC4 for freeway commuting ? That would be a waste
                      Rest in Peace

Comment

I have a SV650 for commuting and it is cheap to buy and even cheaper to run. Cheap fork springs swap, a ZX14 shock swap and some braided lines and you'll be set for life. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kings...0-s/1071117753
                        Or... a 1998 VFR800. None of that VTEC malarkey and servicing costs. Gear driven cams with a bulletproof engine. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mckai...ike/1071670444
                        If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided.

Comment

i took a cbr500r for a spin a little while back and i was actually quite blown away by what a great little platform it is for your spend. i could not think of a better bike for someone on a new RE license. or even someone after a commuter fun runabout on an R license

horses for courses tho it sure aint no cbr600rr
                          I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

GS500 fits in to those categories.....

well except for the fun part....

Comment

GS500 is the bike for people who don't like bikes. You might as well get a scooter.
                              For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                              For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Working...
                              X