Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Servicing.

Hi all.

This might seem like a stupid thread, but I'm hoping for suggestions to have my bike (Suzuki) serviced.

I could go through the motions myself and go an ok job, but self doubt would creep in at highway speeds and I just think it would be easier to have the pro's do their thing.

Im based near Freo, but thought it might be a good general thread to make recommendations from everywhere.
    Rocking the world one motherfucker at a time.

Any shop can do basic servicing without a drama, its when something goes wrong you want someone really good to tackle the problem . . .

Comment

Depends on the service and what is involved. I do all services bar the 24K services myself. Take my Honda to rocko powersports for those services.
      Originally posted by deano68er
      Originally posted by Sudu
      Loud?
      Enough to make ya hard

Comment

Originally posted by Inkahootz View Post
        Hi all.

This might seem like a stupid thread, but I'm hoping for suggestions to have my bike (Suzuki) serviced.

I could go through the motions myself and go an ok job, but self doubt would creep in at highway speeds and I just think it would be easier to have the pro's do their thing.

Im based near Freo, but thought it might be a good general thread to make recommendations from everywhere.
        If it's minor servicing, then DIY. As for major servicing, you can call KTEC mobile mechanics to your place or go to one of the dealers near us.
        Rest in Peace

Comment

Get a copy of the workshop manual.
          Watch videos on youtube. Chances are you will find a video detailing exactly what you want to do.
          A basic service is very easy, besides the oil and filter the rest mainly involves a visual inspection just to make sure everything is still tight. If you're nervous, someone on PSB will probably be happy to help you through it for a carton.

If you want the valves done or lubing up the swingarm bearings, then might be worth paying a workshop to do it. I was happy with the job KTEC did on my SV650 for the major service which is mechanically identical to your bike.
          I've also been very happy with the job Derek Ball the mobile mechanic did on my R1.
          If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided.

Comment

Originally posted by XQZM3 View Post
            Depends on the service and what is involved. I do all services bar the 24K services myself.
            Pretty much this man, there's nothing to it. I would be happy to go through a basic service with you myself.
            Originally posted by boeman
            Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

I mean fuck, im not a selfish cunt.
            Originally posted by Chuck Steak
            Well fuck off then. And wherever you decide to fuck off to, keep telling them Perth is a shithole - it may help minimise the number of fuckwits/arseholes (can’t decide which word is more appropriate ) that move here.

Comment

Take my Honda to rocko powersports for those services.
              Fuck they know how to charge for labour. I do my basic services (oil change every 4,000km, chain lube every few tanks) myself but take my bike to the shop for things like changing brake pads, new spark plugs, new tires etc and each time got a quote from rocko powersports... each time motoshop just down the road was 1/3 of the price and did a good job with good customer service.

Comment

Even spark plugs and brake pads are easy to do.

Again, as someone said, youtube is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by kapyong View Post

Again, as someone said, youtube is your friend.
                  Yeah, but when I get charged like $20 labour to do them in half the time it would take me i'd rather pay an extra $20 lol. changing one of my spark plugs would take 5 minutes... the other ones a massive pain in the ass to get to. Looked up the tutorial for changing brake pads and instantly saw it's something that while I could do it i'm going to struggle through it and make it into a 3 hour job.

Comment

Originally posted by fetus View Post
                    Yeah, but when I get charged like $20 labour to do them in half the time it would take me i'd rather pay an extra $20 lol. changing one of my spark plugs would take 5 minutes... the other ones a massive pain in the ass to get to. Looked up the tutorial for changing brake pads and instantly saw it's something that while I could do it i'm going to struggle through it and make it into a 3 hour job.
                    Brake pads, 20 minutes tops after you have done it once and have gained the knowledge.

Spark plugs yes, can be a pain the rectum but I like doing my own stuff where I can as it keeps me in the garage and out of the a house of four females

Comment

Originally posted by fetus View Post
                      Fuck they know how to charge for labour. I do my basic services (oil change every 4,000km, chain lube every few tanks) myself but take my bike to the shop for things like changing brake pads, new spark plugs, new tires etc and each time got a quote from rocko powersports... each time motoshop just down the road was 1/3 of the price and did a good job with good customer service.
                      Really, you get a shop to change your brake pads??
                      I do services every 6K, as per service schedule. Change brake and clutch fluid every 18K, spark plugs, coolant and valve adjustment are part of the 24K services.
                      I have found rps to be on Par with other places, maybe they charge you more cause of the bike you ride
                      Originally posted by deano68er
                      Originally posted by Sudu
                      Loud?
                      Enough to make ya hard

Comment

Is there anyone on here that would help me do a service for a carton or money or a favor?
                        I could get through it slowly with the manual & youtube, but would be more confident if someone with experience was lending a hand.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm on Brookdale (near Armadale) and have a 03 cbr600rr.
                        I want to dump and replace all fluids and adjust chain etc. I have all tools and rear stand
                        Take It Easy & If Its Easy, Take it Twice

Comment

Depends on the service and what is involved. I do all services bar the 24K services myself. Take my Honda to rocko powersports for those services.
                          Pretty much what I do.

Most of the non-major services is stuff you should be checking regularly anyway (brake pads, rotors, chain tension/lubrication,etc.), other than oil/filter which isn't rocket science.

I get the 24,000 intervals done at a workshop because the belief that they have done/checked valve clearances properly makes me sleep better.
                          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by Inkahootz View Post
                            Hi all.

I recommend Gavin Carlini the Mobile Bike Medic. I had a bad experience with a garage so tried Gavin. Gavin did an excellent job, and good price too. Will definitely use him again. Added benefit is that he is mobile, so can come to you. No need to waste time sitting around for a service!
                            2012 Suzuki GSX-R600 Black with Lowered Seat, Rad Guard, R&G Frame Sliders, Hel Braided Lines, Vortex Rearsets
                            YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEL...FK0eXmo3exQB_Q

Comment

Depends on the service and what is involved. I do all services bar the 24K services myself. .
                              Pfft Blackbirds don't need to be serviced they go forever

Seriously though I need to get around to giving D Ball a call as mines way overdue for a major service (I think he did the last at ~85k now she's on 138k ) and the cam chain is a little noisy so may get him to chuck a new one in
                              Most minor stuff I do myself (eventually) but flushing brake fluid with DCBS/checking valve clearances etc are just easier to someone else to do it I could do it all but a decent mechanic has all the equipment to do it quicker and easier

Originally posted by kapyong View Post
                              You haven't changed plugs on a BB then I take it They are a prick to do unless you have tiny Asian hands that can twist around corners
                              #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                              Originally posted by Phildo
                              Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                              Originally posted by filbert
                              i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                              Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Working...
                              X