Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you split the lanes on the Mitchell Fwy......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you split the lanes on the Mitchell Fwy......

for fucks sake.. SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!!!

I've been driving the car and riding the bike home from the city most evenings....and it amazes me the speed some riders split the lanes with. It's madness, especially at night (after 5.30pm etc).

When driving (as a motorcyclist) I am doubly careful about changing lanes when in the Golf or the Touareg. I'm looking for you guys....I'm expecting you to appear, but. Fuck me...it's hard to see your headlight in my side mirrors. And I'm actually looking for you. Stop and have a think about the cager who isn't looking for you. Please...you're an accident waiting for a numpty to come across onto you. I honestly expect to see a downed motorcycle at some point each night, after seeing some of the speed difference between the splitting bike and crawling cager.

Last night - riding the FJR home, I went to change lanes. I had spotted a gap (behind me and in the lane next to me) that I could safely move to. As I said, I was riding the FJR, but not splitting. Mirror check. Check car in front. Mirror check and head check again. Gap is coming up on the left and behind...all good so far. Check the traffic in front of me...still crawling. Indicator (L) on. Mirror check. Check to the front. Mirror check and then a head check. We're good to go. Final assessment of traffic in front of me, and I begin to move across to the gap in the lane next to me. Spotted a fast moving headlight in my left mirror. Abort Abort Abort. Indicator off, brakes slammed on and I'm trying to claim my spot back in the original lane. Mr Splitter roared past, with an accentuated swerve (showing disdain to my attempt to change lanes?), and buzzed off into the distance.

My point? Even as an 'experienced' m'cyclist, looking for the lane splitters, I got gazumped by some numpty on a death wish. Apologies for the rant, but please. Slow the fuck down.
    Originally posted by Viper
    I'm probably fucking something up.
    FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
    Administrator

Im annoyed at numptys on the other end of the scale.. If you split like a grandpa then check your mirrors every so often and move the fuck out the way when a bike is sitting behind you.
    Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
    1985 - 2009

Comment

I commute home along the Freeway from cockburn to the city. Usually it gets backedup at Canning Bridge station, so lane split from here to the city. I lane split around 30-40kph, but often hear a roar as someone comes up behind me. Ekkkk they often get fed up and change over to the next lane.
      2012 Suzuki GSX-R600 Black with Lowered Seat, Rad Guard, R&G Frame Sliders, Hel Braided Lines, Vortex Rearsets
      YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEL...FK0eXmo3exQB_Q

Comment

ANYONE FASTER THAN ME HAS A DEATH WISH

ANYONE SLOWER THAN ME IS A USELESS CUNT

and not all of this post is in uppercase.

srs... i will split with a speed differential of 20-40km/h or so ***, whatever the speed of traffic is.

edit:
        *** unless one of the drivers is a cunt. in which case, warp.
        Last edited by thro; 10-06-2015, 10:21 PM.
        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Had a dude come past me today and fly between a dozen or so cars and everyone was already doing 110.... Happens every day.. Have almost been hit by other bikes a few times now :-/
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
            ... i will split with a speed differential of 20-40km/h or so, whatever the speed of traffic is.
            Yep...and that's not too bad (mind you, I'm not the oracle of this subject).

Just trying to indicate, that as a motorcycle rider, motorcycle (very) aware driver, I still struggle to spot a splitting bike. So...what chance does a hero have when non-motorcycle aware drivers think..."Yeah...I'll change lanes now".

Good luck with that. That'll be me riding past...shaking my head.
            Originally posted by Viper
            I'm probably fucking something up.
            FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
            Administrator

Comment

I agree about splitting at night, it is very difficult to see a single headlight within the sea of headlights in a rear view mirror when driving a car on the freeway and like the OP I am always looking for bike.

I also split in the rain at night and fully understand that no way is a cager able to differentiate my single light with all the other sparklies in his/her mirror.

We all need to be aware that night time (with or without rain) that we need to ride smart and anticipate fukin everything cos the cagers won't see us.

Comment

Originally posted by FJ Steve View Post
                for fucks sake.. SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!!!

I've been driving the car and riding the bike home from the city most evenings....and it amazes me the speed some riders split the lanes with. It's madness, especially at night (after 5.30pm etc).

When driving (as a motorcyclist) I am doubly careful about changing lanes when in the Golf or the Touareg. I'm looking for you guys....I'm expecting you to appear, but. Fuck me...it's hard to see your headlight in my side mirrors. And I'm actually looking for you. Stop and have a think about the cager who isn't looking for you. Please...you're an accident waiting for a numpty to come across onto you. I honestly expect to see a downed motorcycle at some point each night, after seeing some of the speed difference between the splitting bike and crawling cager.

Last night - riding the FJR home, I went to change lanes. I had spotted a gap (behind me and in the lane next to me) that I could safely move to. As I said, I was riding the FJR, but not splitting. Mirror check. Check car in front. Mirror check and head check again. Gap is coming up on the left and behind...all good so far. Check the traffic in front of me...still crawling. Indicator (L) on. Mirror check. Check to the front. Mirror check and then a head check. We're good to go. Final assessment of traffic in front of me, and I begin to move across to the gap in the lane next to me. Spotted a fast moving headlight in my left mirror. Abort Abort Abort. Indicator off, brakes slammed on and I'm trying to claim my spot back in the original lane. Mr Splitter roared past, with an accentuated swerve (showing disdain to my attempt to change lanes?), and buzzed off into the distance.

My point? Even as an 'experienced' m'cyclist, looking for the lane splitters, I got gazumped by some numpty on a death wish. Apologies for the rant, but please. Slow the fuck down.
                I am with you mate, the amount of guys lining up to become statistics astounds me, no wonder we have such draconian laws we are surrounded by acheivers.

Comment

Originally posted by llbuono View Post
                  I am with you mate, the amount of guys lining up to become statistics astounds me, no wonder we have such draconian laws we are surrounded by acheivers.
                  but you used to ride real fast and stuff too, right? Do as I (now) say, not as I do (or did).

Comment

Originally posted by Kristy View Post
                    but you used to ride real fast and stuff too, right? Do as I (now) say, not as I do (or did).
                    I kinda split safely.

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer 7 View Post
                      Had a dude come past me today and fly between a dozen or so cars and everyone was already doing 110.... Happens every day.. Have almost been hit by other bikes a few times now :-/
                      These kinda dudes you will read about in the obituaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Yagadan View Post
                        Im annoyed at numptys on the other end of the scale.. If you split like a grandpa then check your mirrors every so often and move the fuck out the way when a bike is sitting behind you.
                        Ken oath! Check your bloody mirrors.

Comment

If people are happy to split at warp speed, let them. If they kill themselves because of it, tough shit for them. The only thing you need to do is check your mirrors and be courteous which it sounds like you did, so kudos to you . If you see Rossi or Marquez coming up behind you just let them through. Any retard can get their license, whether it be car or bike (or just ride without one because yolo) so it's just another thing to think about when you jump on for a ride
                          Rest in Peace

Comment

Anyone who splits relying on people in cars to use their mirrors has death-wish, irrespective of the speed they split at. I don't care whether you can see me or not, i'm picking the gap and getting through it before you can fuck me over (my assumption is that you may well try that, deliberately).

In fact, i would argue that once you decide to go (and this is where i may observe for a bit before deciding in some circumstances), accelerating to warp through the gap (so long as there is space on the other side) minimizes your risk...
                            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by Yagadan View Post
                              Nah, fuck you, I'm concentrating on what's coming up, find a way around me given that you are so awesome.
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X