Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike hard to start cold

Bike is a 2002 R1..

Had this problem for a while it just seems to be gradually getting worse, and it's annoying.

When its left for more than 12 hours my bike becomes a bit of a pain to start. Takes 10-15 seconds of ticking over + revving throttle to catch. Ticks over quickly and sounds like it wants to fire but struggles.

While its a pain it does always start in the end. Just annoying that it coughs and splutters so long.
    It still had this problem in summer too in warm weather after ~12+ hours.

When its fired it runs perfect. And if I turn it off while its warm it'll fire up instantly if I turn it off and start it anytime in the next few hours.

-battery load tested, it's fine
    -stator is fine (and I've done several stator replacements before on this bike, this isn't the same problem)
    -reg/rec is fine
    -new iridium plugs put in - no change
    All fluids are pretty much new. Just had new water and oil pump put in too.

Any thoughts?
    Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
    1985 - 2009

temp sensor?

If that isn't working properly the bike may not know it is cold and may not adjusting for cold start enrichment...

If you can find out how you may be able to display fault codes by shorting some pins or doing some magic konami code on the dash or something....
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

When did you last have the valve clearances checked?
      Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
      1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

The starter motor might be knackered and is very slow
        "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Have you tried cuddling it first?
          That seems to be the only way to get my missus fired up in the mornings...
          Here lies the body of Harold Day
          He knew it was his right of way.
          He was right, dead right, as he rode along
          But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

Comment

You running 98? it resists detonation more and from my experience it tends to make bikes a much harder to start in colder weather. Try running 91 (unless your bike has been specifically tuned for 98 only of course). I have had a similar issue with a couple of my bikes.

Comment

Splitting too fast?

Comment

How many kms ??
                Time for a thicker oil to keep the pressure up ? Valves need doing ? Auto or manual choke ? ...auto not working ?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                  temp sensor?

If that isn't working properly the bike may not know it is cold and may not adjusting for cold start enrichment...

If you can find out how you may be able to display fault codes by shorting some pins or doing some magic konami code on the dash or something....
                  Originally posted by Loud View Post
                  When did you last have the valve clearances checked?
                  Around 60000kms they got adjusted..bike now has 82000
                  Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
                  The starter motor might be knackered and is very slow
                  I didn't think it would crank so fast like it does if it was starter motor?
                  Originally posted by out_in_front View Post
                  You running 98? it resists detonation more and from my experience it tends to make bikes a much harder to start in colder weather. Try running 91 (unless your bike has been specifically tuned for 98 only of course). I have had a similar issue with a couple of my bikes.
                  Yeah always 98. When I run lower octane it backfires like a mofo but that's interesting I might give it a shot
                  Originally posted by Gixxer 7 View Post
                  How many kms ??
                  Time for a thicker oil to keep the pressure up ? Valves need doing ? Auto or manual choke ? ...auto not working ?
                  Have tried different oil and didn't make a change. Valves as above got done at 60000 so I'm hoping they are still okay..
                  First of the EFI R1s its auto choke and ya maybe it doesn't how would I check that?
                  Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
                  1985 - 2009

Comment

If its not reving higher when it starts then auto choke isnt working....
                    What about dirty fuel ?? My 600 starts a bit dodgy these day (130,000 +km) and a few months ago it was running and starting really shit and i was getting about 40km less per tank... Started going to a different fuel station and now its back to normal :-)
                    sigpic

Comment

Have you tried starting with the clutch lever pulled in, normal no throttle cold start ???
                      "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Almost certainly the cold start enrichment function of the EFI. What Thro said.

Comment

Low compression could allow it to crank quickly when cold. Hot valves might be sealing better, enabling a quicker start. Maybe. Do a compression check to rule it out?
                          Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                          1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

No puff of smoke when it fires?
                            -

Comment

Working...
                            X