Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much of a problem is bike theft in Perth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much of a problem is bike theft in Perth?

Hi folks,

It's been a while since I've had a bike, but over the past while the urge to go out and buy one has been building. My problem is that I currently live in an apartment block that has unsecured parking. (Leederville area if that makes any difference.)

How much of a bad idea would it be to buy a new bike and keep it here? It goes without saying that I would have it alarmed, chained and geotagged up the wazoo, but I'm still not keen on leaving it unsecured overnight. There is also an area I can park it in that has bollards to prevent vans driving right up to it - I've heard that's an issue.

Alternatively, I can store it in the underground car park in work, which is, say, a 20 minute walk from my house but I don't much fancy having to do that every night.

So as per my title, how likely is it that my shiny new toy would be nicked faster than an extra from NCIS?

A 20 minute walk is only a 5 minute push bike ride. The chance of it getting stolen has already increased exponentially because you are afraid it will get stolen.
    Alternatively, just insure it and don't worry at all.
    Here lies the body of Harold Day
    He knew it was his right of way.
    He was right, dead right, as he rode along
    But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

Comment

insure it and ride the thing I would be more worried about getting MUGGED ha ha

Comment

don't buy a triumph.
        The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

or a KTM

Comment

As 66 said. Older triumphs without immobilisers seem to be popular a few years ago and perhaps still are.

Comment

Or a hyosung.

Not because it will get stolen, it's just a bad choice.

Don't get a harley either.
              Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

I would really like to know where are all these bikes end up ?

Comment

I insured mine for more than it's worth and leave it in the middle of my driveway every night. No luck yet unfortunately lol. (que the no bike thief wants a hyosung jokes)

Comment

Originally posted by 66 View Post
                    don't buy an old triumph.
                    Fixed.
                    Best I can do to describe the issue is this.
                    Normally it goes BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, shift, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

But now it's a bit more like this
                    BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-R-R-r-r-r-r-r-, shift

exan

Comment

Also consider that not only should you worry about it being stolen but also vandalised. Can you handle the idea of paying excess after some dickhead knocks it over for whatever dickhead reason?

Originally posted by keys View Post
                      I would really like to know where are all these bikes end up ?
                      In some junkie's backyard or his dealer's, or in pieces in a "shop", or a shipping crate off to China, or in a park in Balga.

Comment

Unfortunately not often enough inside a tree along with the useless junkie peice of shit who was riding it.

Comment

Originally posted by 66 View Post
                          don't buy a triumph.
                          Thanks for all the replies folks, my mind has been somewhat put at ease.

I would insure the absolute shit out of it to be sure, but can I ask why not a Triumph, for that's exactly what I have my eye on! Brand new though, I can't seem to find any second hand ones of the particular model I want. (Scrambler in case you're interested).

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo, John J View Post
                            but can I ask why not a Triumph,
                            Easy to steal and it seem to be popular with thieves
                            Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
                            remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
                            Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
                            Who died while defending his right of way;
                            He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
                            But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

if you forgo buying one because it might get nicked - well, it's like it's already been nicked if you deprive yourself of one due to concern over something that may not happen. Insure it and if you can, get permission to drop a kryptonite lock in the ground and chain it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X