KTM 690 Enduro R 2016 model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KTM 690 Enduro R 2016 model

I am thinking about getting one of these to add to the stable. Anyone have any feedback on their general road manners or any other comments they would like to share?

Cheers

Raysaw

Originally posted by raysaw View Post
    I am thinking about getting one of these to add to the stable. Anyone have any feedback on their general road manners or any other comments they would like to share?

Cheers

Raysaw
    Last year i purchased a brand new KTM Duke 690 R.

firstly let me say that that bike was a blast! so much fun to ride.

issues i had straight away were that it burned heaps of oil, 250ml per 1000km. i think thats an insane amount of oil. but KTM got a bit pissy with me when i told them that im not impressed will the oil usage saying that's standard and too be expected from an engine like that.

if unwashed for about a month the whole back end of the bike would have been covered in soot, it over time sprayed the wall in the garage with soot and oil as well.

i had 4 bolts just fall off the bike, maybe because of vibration or poor dealer delivery.
    i had the radiator spring a leak.
    the kickstand spring snapped 2 times (seriously?!?! its a spring, how did it break twice in 2 weeks?)

while i was waiting to drop my bike off at the dealer again to fix a new problem, a guy with a 1290 super duke showed up. he was just there for a service and said he's had no trouble with his bike. i noticed the bottom of his engine was covered in oil due to an oil leak at the sump plug that he hadn't noticed.

TL;DR i think these KTM bikes are awesome fun but not reliable. make sure you keep a big bottle of oil with you if you go on a trip, you'll be needing it.

* of course i may have just gotten a lemon and most KTM's are great, im just telling you my story.

Comment

I think my 640 burned a bit of oil during the run in period. It is a me good after that.
      -

Comment

Thanks mr top hat - really appreciate the feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Mr-Top-Hat View Post
          Last year i purchased a brand new KTM Duke 690 R.

firstly let me say that that bike was a blast! so much fun to ride.

issues i had straight away were that it burned heaps of oil, 250ml per 1000km. i think thats an insane amount of oil. but KTM got a bit pissy with me when i told them that im not impressed will the oil usage saying that's standard and too be expected from an engine like that.

if unwashed for about a month the whole back end of the bike would have been covered in soot, it over time sprayed the wall in the garage with soot and oil as well.

i had 4 bolts just fall off the bike, maybe because of vibration or poor dealer delivery.
          i had the radiator spring a leak.
          the kickstand spring snapped 2 times (seriously?!?! its a spring, how did it break twice in 2 weeks?)

while i was waiting to drop my bike off at the dealer again to fix a new problem, a guy with a 1290 super duke showed up. he was just there for a service and said he's had no trouble with his bike. i noticed the bottom of his engine was covered in oil due to an oil leak at the sump plug that he hadn't noticed.

TL;DR i think these KTM bikes are awesome fun but not reliable. make sure you keep a big bottle of oil with you if you go on a trip, you'll be needing it.

* of course i may have just gotten a lemon and most KTM's are great, im just telling you my story.
          [MENTION=41303]doogle[/MENTION] 's bike burns a fuckload of oil too, he's got the SMC 690
          Rest in Peace

Comment

all the big KTM's burn oil.. the oil rings take a while to bed in (If ever) 3 piece after market oil rings fix's these issue's... i bet you guys are running fully synthetic oil which will be to slippery for the rings to bite causing said oil burn problems also
            Last edited by Hillz; 22-12-2015, 09:50 AM.

Comment

I have a 2014 smcr 250ml of oil every 1000km but ktm say thats within spec. Pissed me iff but not much i can do about it. Really good bike heaps of fun good power very well planted as for the motor common issue is the oil use, the rocker arm bearing are made of cheese they are very common to fail and if not looked at soon enough the rocker arms do snap. It about a 10min job to get to them to inspect so nothing major but its not the point its been an ongoing issue for many years that ktm just dont fix. Knowing what i do now know about the 690 motor i would.still buy it. Its a great bike not sure how well it will go as the enduro though dust/gravel trails would be fine i imagine depends what you want to do with it

Comment

The best way to disguise a lemon is to paint it orange.
                Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

I'm having some second thoughts - that oil usage is excessive!

Comment

I'm having some second thoughts - that oil usage is excessive!
                    Not all do it though its a bit hit and miss

Comment

No more than some Honda superbikes drank.
                      Originally posted by Desmo
                      Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Hmmmm - it's not what you want to hear before purchase though. An email to KTM to get the official position might be in order.

Comment

Hmmmm - it's not what you want to hear before purchase though. An email to KTM to get the official position might be in order.
                          honestly some bikes are worth dealing with a few issues, if they're known issues and they don't result in risk to your safety or catastrophic failure then it's still worth owning the bike.

i have a harley and ducatis that prove this point to me, many known issues but the characteristics that attracted me to ownership aren't available in other brands or models, i'll work around the problems for a bike i can enjoy riding or look back at as i walk away from parking it and smile.

have you test ridden one and felt it was the bike you wanted?

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            i'll spend thousands of dollars chasing solutions to the problems for a bike i can enjoy riding or look back at as i walk away from parking it and smile.
                            fixed
                            Originally posted by Desmo
                            Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Keen View Post
                              fixed
                              close but i don't spend a lot to modify things got a few tricks up my sleeve that i've learned over the years

Comment

Working...
                              X