• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck vs Bike vs Red light.

Busy Arterial road,
    70kph zone,
    All slowing down,
    Truck decides to put the hammer down and run Red.
    Truck gets fast real quick
    Rider attempts escape.
    car on left,
    moved toward the safer lanesplit position on right of centre lane
    Out of space,
    out of time.

Not a great deal of options,
    Could Run red, or risk being munted from unknown each side,
    Contary to popular procedure, we are meant to 'Look>indicate>Turn.'
    this isnt always possible when life is threatened.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    What would you do?

*Lets say we've gone past the point of 'Not put self in situation'
    Last edited by Aufitt; 17-02-2016, 04:11 AM.

Whenever I'm in risky situations where I'm about to get stuck between two vehicles or I feel trapped, I usually just gas it and escape if I can (the perks of having a big boy bike), or I'll jump on the brakes and "undertake". If people are too close or making me feel uncomfortable I'll just power on because it gets you away quickly and gives you more space to yourself

Or I just don my fluro yellow vest with "polite notice think bike", that stops me from ever getting hurt and makes me basically invincible

A picture of me before a typical commute to work:

Rest in Peace

Comment

Rider is OK,
      wasn't her time to depart thankfully.

Bike has a bit of a flatspot,
      Truckie doesn't think they did anything wrong.

Comment

That is why I take a quick glance in my mirrors when braking hard.

Comment

I hope the truck driver was drug and alcohol tested and has the book thrown at him. Deserves to lose his job and licence.

Comment

Originally posted by Aufitt View Post
            Truckie doesn't think they did anything wrong.
            What a truckwit. Good to hear the rider is ok. I also check my mirrors when braking hard and have a quick scan for escape options, has saved having a busted bike several times considering so many ppl tailgate (trucks are the worst) Depending on the red light situation, I have punched through red lights to avoid having someone up my arse. I also try not to have trucks behind me if another lane is an option or alter their gap between them and me with the throttle. I'd rather a speeding/red light fine than an ambulance ride. These are all split second decisions and are helped so much my having situational awareness.

Considering the above situation the rider did the best she could do.

To be honest I don't think the truck driver saw the motorcycle. Didn't attempt to avoid hitting, most drivers would react in some way. unless they teach otherwise at truck driving school.
            Last edited by BlueZR7; 17-02-2016, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Truck chose to run a red, as they all do, and bike would have been barley visible of at all. Completely at fault.

The rider however... wasn't watching their mirrors at all. Not sure where this car on their left is meant to be, but they had much better options than being rear ended by a semi.

EDIT: upon watching again, dual fault. the bike changed lanes ahead of the truck.
              Last edited by 66; 18-02-2016, 05:55 PM.
              The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

did the rider change from the the left lane into the center lane?
                "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

Ive gone over and over this with the rider,
                  The pace that truck put on when over the rise is frightening, (must be one of the ones Illboner hotted up.)

As riders we pick the hell out of ourselves, eachother, and environment,

From a riding POV, awareness was a few seconds too late.
                  But no laws were broken, she should have broken the law and possibly risk T bone or worse.
                  moving right was the only option, she was aware of traffic on LHS.
                  Meant to be all pulling up, bikes usually between traffic.

From the Trucks POV nothing he did was safe let alone legal regardless if a bike was even there.
                  Truck ran a red. (Turning arrow shows 2-3 secs) trucks have more visibility than cars.
                  Trucks stop better going up a rise, this truck had heaps of time to decide.

Now here is the problem,
                  $7000 new bike owned outright,
                  3rd party fire and theft only, (we all know how expensive new bike/young rider is, sometimes 2-3k)

Rider in shock, declined Ambo. (bad move)
                  Trucks Insurance company says '' liable for overtaking '

Lawyers to fight this stuff costs more than the bike unless someone is munted for life.

Any advice? apart from suck it up and get insurance.

Comment

Standard truckie defence of heavyloadtoughdeadlinecarrythecountrywoeisme.
                    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by chief wiggum View Post
                      did the rider change from the the left lane into the center lane?
                      that's what I initially thought but I viewed it frame by frame and I don't think so. Bike was obscured by cars for most of vid but when became visible, I would say the bike was at least 2 car lengths in front of the truck. I don't know visibility out of trucks so won't pass judgement on this situation but if anything less than 2 car lengths was invisible to the driver i'm surprised there's not more rear enders.

Rider was lucky but needs more situational awareness (I'm not convinced she was aware of the truck until it was too late/ up her arse) - hopefully she's got it now and didn't have to pay the ultimate price.
                      Last edited by Kristy; 17-02-2016, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Trucks Insurance company says '' liable for overtaking '
                        I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
                        Do you mean the drivers insurance covers him except while overtaking? That sounds a bit weird.
                        Originally posted by mekon
                        Why are pirates called pirates?
                        Because they Arrrrrr

Comment

why would you pull into a lane so close in front of a multi combination truck? i reckon it was 4-5 metres tops (so yeah.. 2 car lengths)? Ridiculous proximity. pretty close to where the solid white would have started too.
                          dark bike, dark helmet, dark road background

or didn't see him? lol
                          sorry, but if she's ok, then she needs to know that it was a completely retarded move. avoid a rip thread n all

Comment

Originally posted by MikeL View Post
                            I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
                            Do you mean the drivers insurance covers him except while overtaking? That sounds a bit weird.
                            No they are saying she is liable for 'overtaking', which she wasn't,
                            she was in LHS of centre lane, moved over to RHS of centre lane where is was safer.
                            Its hard to see but was always in the centre lane.

0.07 secs, don't mistake the light in the servo for the Bike.

Comment

moved over to RHS of centre lane where is was safer.
                              not this time

No they are saying she is liable for 'overtaking', which she wasn't,
                              i woulda said the opposite, she was moving right when first visible IMO
                              07-09 ish... she's moving right

she should give up motoblogging and focus on her skills too
                              Last edited by Joe Shabadoo; 17-02-2016, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X