He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
    But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

• The road is curved.

Comment

• Originally posted by Helipos View Post
        I would like to see this law.
        So would I now .

Can no longer find it in the 'book' though common sense would still dictate that one would do it, especially in a large vehicle.

Used to be something like "slow down on approach to an intersection in anticipation of a light change."

Obviously these days, we do the opposite .

Comment

• [QUOTE=Choosing between the DTEC training trucks and my work Navara, the truck has better visibility. Granted it is probably different than most thanks to the fact its a training vehicle.[/QUOTE]

You obviously haven't driven a W Kenworth then.

You have to count the vehicles that disappear under the bonnet when you come up to the lights, then count them out before you take off.

Bet you don't have to do that with yeh Navara.

Comment

• Originally posted by exan View Post
            If you have no experience at all, and no track record of safe driving, of course it will cost more. I did a quote on swan for a vtr250 with under 1 year road experience, and agreed value 3.2k was only $31 a month, rider DOB 1999. If you want a super sport bike, it's going to cost more. If you want a turbo car or V8 it also costs more, I used to pay over $1200 a year for insurance on my SS, I could buy a bike and insure it for that much! I'm not trying to stir shit, these are just the facts of life... you either risk it or pay up, better to learn early.
            Well I pay $300 a year for my 4 cyl corrolla.... do I win?! of course a 250 is cheaper, even my er6 was cheap. all I'm saying is depends on rider age and bike as to how "affordable" insurance is. I would also guess a brand new r3 is worth a lot more than any vtr/gpx which means higher premiums. Added to this, if you do unfortunately have a crash.. you are out of pocket the premium + excess + age excess = you could literally replace your own bike. (NB this is not true for all bikes etC just in my case). third party damage, fire and theft is a must though If not on full comp!

Comment

• Young people on high powered bikes will cost a lot to insure?!?!?! *slaps head*

Also, stay the fuck away from trucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by filbert View Post
                I'm involved in the later stages where we have to unteach what the driving schools teach in their 2 day course to pass a test.
                Add 76 tonne and another 10 axles to your experience and being responsible for not killing anyone becomes one of the primary goals, the extreme opposite of our riding goals of not being killed[emoji38]
                If you're not thinking ahead and slowing down to suit what's happening 10 cars ahead then everything will be an emergency stop, instead of rolling along efficiently and looking after the half million dollar plus rig you've been put in charge of.
                Filbert, Not sure if I implied I had anything other than the experience of being taught how to drive.

I had a look on Main Roads Website and the competency standard for MC licence does not mention slowing for green lights. The only relevant sections i could find were these two.

3.3.3 A built up area with significant road user interaction is negotiated and timely responses made.
                Timely means the driver:

• is able to respond and complete manoeuvres in a smooth and steady manner; or
                • does not have to employ contingencies as a result of late planning or decision making.

Significant road user interaction means an environment where:
                • driving requires judgements in relation to road user movements from more than one direction at a time;
                • accurate gap selection is critical for safe outcomes;
                • there are significant speed differentials in traffic travelling in the driver's direction; or
                • it is a real possibility that there will be a need for complex decisions about road obstructions, surface, radius or gradient.

3.5.3 When responding to situations that may require adjusting speed, brakes and accelerator are regulated early and smoothly.
                This performance criterion is essentially a smooth driving and conservation measure for fuel and brakes.
                Situations could include:
                • traffic lights in the distance turn red;
                • hills and curves;and
                • approach to slower moving traffic.

Obviously every situation is different, but do you as a heavy vehicle driver slow for green lights?

Originally posted by J.J View Post
                You obviously haven't driven a W Kenworth then.
                You have to count the vehicles that disappear under the bonnet when you come up to the lights, then count them out before you take off.
                Bet you don't have to do that with yeh Navara.
                JJ I take it you drive a bonneted truck.
                How many vehicles at a set of lights or what sort of distance can you not see immediately in front of you? We all might learn something here.

Comment

Filbert, Not sure if I implied I had anything other than the experience of being taught how to drive.

I had a look on Main Roads Website and the competency standard for MC licence does not mention slowing for green lights. The only relevant sections i could find were these two.

3.3.3 A built up area with significant road user interaction is negotiated and timely responses made.
                  Timely means the driver:

• does not have to employ contingencies as a result of late planning or decision making.

• driving requires judgements in relation to road user movements from more than one direction at a time;
                  • there are significant speed differentials in traffic travelling in the driver's direction; or
                  • it is a real possibility that there will be a need for complex decisions about road obstructions, surface, radius or gradient.

3.5.3 When responding to situations that may require adjusting speed, brakes and accelerator are regulated early and smoothly.
                  This performance criterion is essentially a smooth driving and conservation measure for fuel and brakes.
                  • hills and curves;and

Obviously every situation is different, but do you as a heavy vehicle driver slow for green lights?

How many vehicles at a set of lights or what sort of distance can you not see immediately in front of you? We all might learn something here.
                  I didn't take it that you had inferred or implied anything regarding level of experience, I took your comment at face value that you had recently taken the HR test which is a three or at most four axle rigid vehicle and no trailer for the test.

The guys I work with are running twelve or thirteen axles with three articulation points and we're still considered small trucks and classed as metro restricted access, so there are bigger trucks out there and drivers being taught different things either job or employer specific that aren't in the test.

The first two points in the PDF you quoted deal with exactly what I was saying, just as the motorcycle test and written requirements don't say rider must be aware that everyone is out to kill them and ride accordingly the truck driving test doesn't spell out that anticipating a light change and driving smoothly means if the light is green don't expect it to stay that way.

There is a lot of variation in the size of blind spots even relative to something as simple as driver height and seat position in bonneted trucks, I lose sight of around 10 metres in the centre and towards the left which could be up to 2 cars, but should be able to see the tailgate of a 4x4 a car length in front of the bumper on the drivers side. Bikes sitting on the passenger's side are taking their life into their hands but that's not mentioned in the riding test either.
                  Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Timely means the driver:

• hills and curves;and

I don't all the time. But I have. And often tag along with friends. They are not good in the city. But better on the open road.

Usually around 2 small cars if they get close together. Or a car and a bike.

You can look around and see them a lot of the time but you have to remember they can hide under the bonnet line.

And if you take off and forget, and they don't get away quick you won't notice until they come around the side after you have pushed them half way across the intersection.

The best way is to make sure to keep them in sight, but as usual in Perth if you leave any gap some one will pull in front of you and fill it, under your bonnet line.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.J View Post

The best way is to make sure to keep them in sight, but as usual in Perth if you leave any gap some one will pull in front of you and fill it.
                      Yeah that was one thing I found out, how irritating that is for the truck driver.

Comment

• Every new rider In the world says 'Traffic is the worst in my 'X' city'?

Perth is like Albany compared with Sydney traffic... its flatout everywhere there even in the outer burbs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aufitt View Post
                          Every new rider In the world says 'Traffic is the worst in my 'X' city'?

Perth is like Albany compared with Sydney traffic... its flatout everywhere there even in the outer burbs.
                          Hardly notice the traffic here, drivers are really good here as well.

Comment

• Truck vs Bike vs Red light.

Originally posted by Ryanoceros View Post
                            I couldn't afford full Comp on my 250 because it was $1700 annually on a bike I sold for $1200.
                            Personally I think it's a mistake to compare bike value and insurance cost and if the latter is higher rule it out. The value of the insurance is greater than the cost to replace the bike, as you would find out if you had to supply your own alternative transport, replace gear, pay for medical bills (long term?), hire a lawyer etc. should one of the many people who haven't got the means to pay for insurance, flatten you.
                            It should be law for everyone to have third party (damages not medical) insurance (not talking about you here Ryanoceros). If that prices some people out of a WRX, GSXR whatever at the age of 18, or due to poor history, so be it. There's a reason for that. Insurance companies are good at assessing risk, it's what they do.
                            As for bike vs truck. Lack of experience obviously didn't help. Anyone suggesting that you look in your mirrors when you have to brake hard is doing it wrong. You should already know what is there and how close before you touch the brakes. Fair enough check to make sure that something a long way back isn't still coming as you're nearing a stop, but if it's big and close as you approach lights your exit strategy/decision should already be made before any lights change and any brakes are touched.
                            Count back 3 seconds from when the green turn arrow came on, and then another 6 before this to see at what point everyone was told to stop by the amber.
                            So Amber lit up around 2 secs in (look how far back the truck is). Red was at 8 secs and arrow at 11.
                            Truck was taking the piss.
                            Last edited by Hamster; 23-02-2016, 09:17 PM.
                            "Speed Kills". The stupid person's answer to a complex problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X