Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aufitt View Post
    No they are saying she is liable for 'overtaking', which she wasn't,
    Well that's plain nuts. Have they seen the video?

Its hard to see but was always in the centre lane.
    Yeah I saw that too. It looks like she changes lanes early on but I think that's just the truck closing the gap (having looked at it frame by frame a couple of times).
    Originally posted by mekon
    Why are pirates called pirates?
    Because they Arrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by cob14 View Post
      That is why I take a quick glance in my mirrors when braking hard.
      ^^^ This.

If I can manage to do it with poxy Ducati mirrors, chicken winging my way around, anyone certainly can.

3 demerits and $300 for a red light is cheap life insurance...

Also amazes me all the people who blame others. Its your life..... protect it. Defensive riding people, then offensive when people piss you off.
      Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Ive gone over and over this with the rider,
        The pace that truck put on when over the rise is frightening, (must be one of the ones Illboner hotted up.)

As riders we pick the hell out of ourselves, eachother, and environment,

From a riding POV, awareness was a few seconds too late.
        But no laws were broken, she should have broken the law and possibly risk T bone or worse.
        moving right was the only option, she was aware of traffic on LHS.
        Meant to be all pulling up, bikes usually between traffic.

From the Trucks POV nothing he did was safe let alone legal regardless if a bike was even there.
        Truck ran a red. (Turning arrow shows 2-3 secs) trucks have more visibility than cars.
        Trucks stop better going up a rise, this truck had heaps of time to decide.

Now here is the problem,
        $7000 new bike owned outright,
        3rd party fire and theft only, (we all know how expensive new bike/young rider is, sometimes 2-3k)

Rider in shock, declined Ambo. (bad move)
        Trucks Insurance company says '' liable for overtaking '

Lawyers to fight this stuff costs more than the bike unless someone is munted for life.

Any advice? apart from suck it up and get insurance.
        Contact/lodge a claim with insurance.

If not at fault and the other driver can be identified most insurers will still do the legwork for you on a 3rd party policy and some will even pay out for your repairs or write off to the value declared when purchasing the policy because they have someone to claim back against.

Truck driver is extremely lucky not to have a death on his conscience, looks like he left his brain in his back pocket and wore the wrong pants.
        Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Originally posted by Gippo View Post
          ^^

Also amazes me all the people who blame others. Its your life..... protect it. Defensive riding people, then offensive when people piss you off.
          She's actually pretty humble and timid, has spent a few months beating herself up questioning what happened till the video came forward.
          Truck company has Vid.

Its me that is advising to push it if she can, and im all about life choices,
          Hell I don't even ride on the road in sleepy Albs or the South west , I trailer my bike to the city to ride for a few hrs a few times a year when I can save $200 for a track day.

I think they owe a new R3.... or a smack in the chops.

Comment

Oh nothing personal [MENTION=30597]Aufitt[/MENTION], absolutely she should chase it.

Truckie still at fault, clear hit to behind. Overtaking claim is total BS.

Happy to chuck in some $$$ and crowd fund a new bike and legal challenge.
            Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

nearly had the exact same incident this morning on the way to work. i chose to stop for the red light, the semi who changed lanes to be behind me a moment earlier struggled to stop and left me with a nice smoke screen and a puckering arsehole. i was in the patrol so the end result might not have been too bad
              "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

I know my Third Party Fire and Theft policy for my daughters shitbox car had a clause along the lines of 'If I could ID the driver of the other vehicle at fault and they are not compliant with coughing up for repairs etc MY insurance company would pay me a maximum of $3K for said repairs' OK I am paraphrasing all of that.

I had a delivery vehicle smash and write off the car in question, I got the run around from the business and their insurance broker for sometime.

One phone call to MY insurance company providing them will all the details of crash and BS run around and me stating that I would be making a claim against MY policy because I could Id the driver etc, saw MY insurance company sort out the problem with the other insurance company within a couple of days. I got a pay out which I was more than happy with.

Don't give up, read the fine print of the 3rd Party policy and if it is similar to mine contact YOUR insurance company, they are much better dealing with this stuff than Mr Joe on the street.

Comment

as his light has only just gone red he may have heard the truck engine ramp up the revs. that would have been the time to check the mirror and if that roo bar is up your ass twist on out of it.

although my lil gpx might need a few cogs down and twist before i moved so probly me dead :/ lol.
                  Originally posted by Paraletic
                  little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...

Comment

A lack of situation awareness caught her out here. It is really difficult to modulate your speed to create a buffer when arseholes want to punch through lights. They are looking through you to their destination and not looking for a bike. Splitting middle lane and left lane would probably have been the go; run the red light safely beside the truck.
                    Last edited by Maloney67; 17-02-2016, 08:15 AM. Reason: left not right
                    "Love a ranga today"

"How long, not long, because because what you reap is what you sow"

Comment

Originally posted by Benny D View Post
                      as his light has only just gone red he may have heard the truck engine ramp up the revs. that would have been the time to check the mirror and if that roo bar is up your ass twist on out of it.

although my lil gpx might need a few cogs down and twist before i moved so probly me dead :/ lol.
                      Contingency plans and being alert and aware of risk is definitely part of avoiding accidents like this but...

The truck driver is still very much at fault, I have some experience with how much room/time a truck needs to accelerate or stop and the general rule I teach is that if you can see the lights and they're already green prepare to stop or at least reduce speed to the point that you can stop quickly.

From under 40 a well maintained truck should stop as well as the average car pulling up from 60, yes it's a bitch to get moving again.

If the light is green and there are vehicles on either side waiting then you know the light is going to change, maintaining speed and hoping to get through the amber or red is irresponsible.
                      Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Accelerating then seemed like "gettoutamyfugginway".
                        The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          Contingency plans and being alert and aware of risk is definitely part of avoiding accidents like this but...

The truck driver is still very much at fault, I have some experience with how much room/time a truck needs to accelerate or stop and the general rule I teach is that if you can see the lights and they're already green prepare to stop or at least reduce speed to the point that you can stop quickly.

From under 40 a well maintained truck should stop as well as the average car pulling up from 60, yes it's a bitch to get moving again.

If the light is green and there are vehicles on either side waiting then you know the light is going to change, maintaining speed and hoping to get through the amber or red is irresponsible.
                          Bit like those flashing ambers,

look at them and think make it piece of piss, but they are timed right, you cant.
                          Does the truck look empty to you? or has it got eleventy billion HP?

Comment

Wow lucky to be alive really.
                            While he/she is likely not at fault based on what I can see, it's of little consolation when you're dead. I hope a lesson has been learnt.

Comment

Without hi-jackinking this thread, Lorna failed her P's last R&R for preceding through an Amber light. Now she's bloody good on the brakes (stops within 6-7mt at 50kph) so she definitely couldn't stop, however the assessor said differently. She has made an official complaint as the assessor also got signage incorrect and marked her down on that too! I have always drilled Lorn on drivers running lights and cleaning you up from behind or T-boning you when you starting off from a green light. Mirrors mirrors, head checks and light brake check to warn other drivers of your intention to stop. hopefully they are alert and watching you, however we are ultimately responsible for our safety.
                              "Love a ranga today"

"How long, not long, because because what you reap is what you sow"

Comment

My hit and run haunts me from 21 yrs ago, im far from over it.
                                Didn't have internet in those days,
                                no digital media, no discussion, no email trail of reports to keep track of, and nothing to research now.
                                Demons dog me to the point of not enjoying bikes.
                                Didn't have insurance, it was about half the cost of a bike but that meant nothing when you're smashed up for years.
                                nothing to give closure.

I simply trusted a green light that you have no option but to slow and see if its safe and be rear ended or go go go.

Amber means stop, Red means should be stopped, green means go. not rocket science.
                                Humans don't work like that.

To this day when im driving my passengers abuse me , cars honk, as when im going thru lights I slow down 20kph... cant help it.
                                I certainly wont drive south on Stock Rd, no can do.
                                If my kids wanted to ride there is no way i'd deal with it well.

Doesn't take much to imagine how far this bike was pushed.

For her to get it out there is a big step, she knows its pure luck to be alive,
                                will be wiser in the future.
                                If the vid footage hadn't become available she may never had got over it.
                                I have an unhealthy fixation on rider safety, dunno why I bother, I race and one of the safest out there ive seen, some mates crash every fucking day.

No Lams rider knows motorcycles are dangerous, nobody really realises till the big one happens.

Some incidents (we don't call them accidents) are up to fate.
                                Inexperince put her in the situation, but any of us could actually end up there bar staying home.
                                For good reason this is on an interstate forum,
                                thanks for the feedback she's taken on board.
                                Cheers [MENTION=17003]filbert[/MENTION].
                                Last edited by Aufitt; 17-02-2016, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X