Truck vs Bike vs Red light.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kristy View Post
    Source? Running red light = running red light irrespective of type of vehicle (or are you referring to the amber light? - if amber light, second paragraph below still applies i.e. drive to your vehicle's capabilities). If a truck rear ends a vehicle, do they get some leeway because they can't stop as fast? Doubt it, unless a vehicle did truly cut in front of them (and this would apply to any vehicle that gets cut in front of - but of course proving it is another matter). If they can't stop as quick then they need to allow a greater stopping distance, same as for anticipating light changes. I get stopping at lights would be annoying for trucks cos it takes them so long to get up to speed again, but let's be honest - many blatantly run red lights to avoid it. Using the logic that trucks get more leeway to clear intersections, does that mean that fast cars are permitted to exceed the speed limit? Another example, the brakes on one of my bikes were shit - I needed to allow a greater stopping distance because they weren't as effective - if I rear ended someone could I use the argument that my brakes were shit?

Essentially, if trucks take longer to stop (if laden) they need to allow for this - apply a suitable stopping distance while moving, and be ready to stop at lights. We all approach lights and have a point at which we know we can stop, and a point of no return where if it goes amber we can't stop in time and have to proceed through the intersection. This point for trucks should start a fair bit further back than it does for cars/bikes, though at times it seems they use bike stopping distances for whether they can stop at a light or not. Ride/drive to your vehicle's capabilities; amber/red light road rules are amber/red light road rules irrespective of type of vehicle.

Edit: this is a general statement, not related to this incident as it seems unclear as to where the motorcyclist was prior to being in front of the truck i.e. was she always in that lane or did she move across effectively cutting him off, and I haven't checked out the change of lights. If she was always in that lane, truck driver is a douche, if she cut him off then rider is douchette. Footage is not conclusive however (the angle of the bike light does change at one point suggesting movement but may just have been within the same lane).
    There is leeway but only if the line is crossed on green.

Just an example but one intersection I frequent is a right turn arrow and always stop at the line and wait, I turn right from the left lane which has the option of straight or right, i have to use the left lane because if I use the right then I have to cross traffic back to the left, if I move off first in line on green I change 2 gears and move forward 10 metres before it turns amber, my truck is 27.5 metres long and weighs 98 tonne loaded, my second trailer hasn't even completely entered the intersection before I'm in 6th gear and the light has turned red. The path for cars on my right is just cleared as their light turns green but the cars on my left are waiting at a green light for me to get out of the way, this is entirely legal.

If I'm 3rd or back in line which is just over 2 car lengths or the same 10 or so metres as the first example, the light will be amber before I reach the line and it's illegal for me to enter the intersection.

Sometimes if I sit far enough back with someone on the line in front I can read the lights and have the truck rolling in third gear as the light turns green and clear the intersection before the traffic to my left is waiting at a green light.

I still think the truck driver was wrong to be approaching a green light which is expected to change at that speed, if there are vehicles lined up on a red at the sides you know it's going to change so treat it as an amber, that's just my opinion though I'll leave the conclusions to people who know how long it takes to stop something that size and how big the blind spots are.

Yes you can be in the blind spot of a truck sitting in front of it, on approach to roundabouts is entirely possible for a moving vehicle as large as a bus to be obscured by the drivers side mirror if the driver doesn't move his head around and actually look ahead through the intersection.
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Originally posted by marvin View Post
      to the video (which is now viral on stalkbook) bike is at fault. obviously didn't check her mirrors to see what was behind her (like who the fuck pulls out on a truck) and the light was NOT red when the truck started to go thru, it turned red about 1/3 - 1/2 of his way over...you do know how long it takes for a truck to stop right?
      We feel sorry someone was hurt but use your fucking brain when you ride
      Silver Beemer Wagon is the last vehicle to make it through the orange light - you can see it clearly tailgate the car in front at 0:08 in order to make it through. At the same time you can see the car in the closest oncoming lane coasting before applying the brakes because it knew it wasn't going to make the light.

The right turn arrow is lit at 0:11, at which point the truck's first trailer is in the intersection, meaning he's clearly and blatantly run the red.

What I've only just noticed is that you can clearly see a white car on the intersection line in lane 1 at 0:12. It wouldn't have been there if the rider had been in lane 1 two seconds earlier, it would be creeping forwards to the line. So the rider must have been in lane 2 in front of the truck the whole time.
      Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
      1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

^ yup agreed - if you enter it legally all good (same goes for a car - if you get caught waiting and it goes amber you are OK to clear the intersection). If that's what [MENTION=75599]Adroit[/MENTION] was meaning, then all good. My rant about running red lights because it's a pain in the arse for you to get your truck back up to speed still stands - on this basis 50cc scoots could also be permitted to run reds cos they're so painfully slow.

Comment

Originally posted by acdcfan View Post
          Sometime that is not possible....
          Where in this case was it not possible for the truck to stop?

It was maintaining/gaining speed up the rise, then belting on the pace as the lights changed RED over the rise.
          Trucks are limited by how quick the can stop, (nobody denies this)
          but they also are higher up and could have seen those lights from a hundred metres away.

I'll try and take a screenshot of the intersection from maps.

Comment

Originally posted by crimsondawn View Post
            What, sometimes you cannot slow down?
            Depending on the speed you're approaching traffic light and at which point, what distance, light goes from green to amber to red. That is what I am talking about. Nothing do to with this video
            And if stopping is safe enough for others following you other than you locking the brakes.

Are you suggesting that we should be approaching traffic light intersection, slowing down in anticipation light may change from green to amber?
            Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
            remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
            Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
            Who died while defending his right of way;
            He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
            But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Aufitt View Post
              Where in this case was it not possible for the truck to stop?.
              Nothing do to with this video

Not a truck driver, but if that light was still green, trucker still driving at posted speed limit fully laden, and light turns amber, there is no chance of him stopping it in time without locking jack knifing 2 trailers
              Rider either was not aware of a truck behind or jumped into empty space not thinking but i am only speculating.. Video is not conclusive enough

Comment

Originally posted by chew View Post
                Standard truckie defence of heavyloadtoughdeadlinecarrythecountrywoeisme.
                Thread winner so far

36 hrs ago she asked me if she should make the vid public,
                We joked that it may go viral.

I said go for it but disable Youpoob commets as 15 yo gamers can eat a dick.
                And i'd run it by the mecca of eggspurts a WA bike forum

15,000 views last night,
                31,000 now.

Comment

Pardon my lack of facebookness. Out of curiosity, did she say she changed from the left lane in front of the truck?

Earliest shot I see from the vid when you can see her from behind the ute, she is in the left of the centre lane.
                  The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

Are you suggesting that we should be approaching traffic light intersection, slowing down in anticipation light may change from green to amber?
                    funny enough this is the exact reason why along tonkin hwy the speed limit is reduced to 80km/h when entering and exiting and intersection
                    Originally posted by Paraletic
                    little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...

Comment

Depending on the speed you're approaching traffic light and at which point, what distance, light goes from green to amber to red. That is what I am talking about. Nothing do to with this video
                      And if stopping is safe enough for others following you other than you locking the brakes.

Yes I would suggest that especially in a truck, if the light is green and there are vehicles waiting either side then you know it's due to change.

If it takes 40 metres to stop at 60 then you should be preparing to stop 40 metres before the lights in case they change, not ploughing up at the speed limit hoping they don't.

Nothing do to with this video

Not a truck driver, but if that light was still green, trucker still driving at posted speed limit fully laden, and light turns amber, there is no chance of him stopping it in time without locking jack knifing 2 trailers
                      Rider either was not aware of a truck behind or jumped into empty space not thinking but i am only speculating.. Video is not conclusive enough
                      It's a metro b double, they run that configuration for stability, because of the long distance between articulation points they don't kink up and jackknife like a road train and the drag from the brakes on the rear trailer actually hold the line of the one in front to stop it jackknifing like a single trailer.

There should not be excuses made for a truck driver running a red light, some of us are out here actively trying to teach them not to by using their brains.

Motorcyclist is not completely innocent but also not guilty of causing the collision, impact, incident. The truck driver made the call to run the red or amber.

I'm still amazed the bike didn't go under, looks like the swingarm hitting the road as the wheel collapsed is all that kept it from falling on its side and becoming a nine thump speed bump.
                      Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

That is what the law requires. Yes, I know nobody does it, myself included, but for big rigs driving on busy streets, it should be a given.

Comment

Originally posted by AZAZL View Post
                          Pardon my lack of facebookness. Out of curiosity, did she say she changed from the left lane in front of the truck?

Earliest shot I see from the vid when you can see her from behind the ute, she is in the left of the centre lane.
                          I believe she is in the left of the centre lane, her dash to safety (Right) didn't work.

No good shutting the gate after the horse has bolted,
                          Facebook comments are great for the ppl who don't replay the vid a few times... you'll always get those.

Ways of getting a new bike would be nice, and good advice here has been helping.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            If you're level with the flashing amber as it starts and doing the speed limit you'll hit the line at exactly the same time as the light turns amber.

If I have a clear run I'll hold speed and make use of the advanced notice, if I'm under the speed limit or in traffic then I'm already slowing well before the line, there should be more of them and people educated on how they work.

If she was approaching an already green light and there were vehicles waiting at the intersection then she should have been preparing to stop, brakes covered etc since you know the amber is coming.

Good to hear they're still being strict on it, could save her life one day.
                            Nah the intersection was clear and it changed as she was lining up to turn right into another street. It's awesome that they are so onto it, but they need to apply the law where applicable. My opinion is
                            she could have tested Lorn's emergency stop then made a valued judgement on if she had the skills and bike control to stop.
                            "Love a ranga today"

"How long, not long, because because what you reap is what you sow"

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Benny D View Post
                                funny enough this is the exact reason why along tonkin hwy the speed limit is reduced to 80km/h when entering and exiting and intersection
                                Even then when they slow down to 80, I don't think anyone keeps slowing down anticipating light change

Comment

Working...
                                X