Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding is safer than driving!

Hey folks,
    we've all read the news and it's drummed up sensationalism, spinning a story on the dangers motorcycling. I for one am fed up and I am putting together an argument to advocate how wonderfully safe riding a motorcycle can be.
    I do need your help!
    I've googlized for data but the info I've found falls short of my needs.
    The information on government websites tends to be glossy and dumbed down with a veiled agenda and doesn't present all the facts.
    I'm chasing raw, empirical data on motorcycle accident statistics. I'd prefer it from Australia but anywhere reputable will do.
    Thanks!
    Perth Motovlogger, West Coast is Best Coast!

Dray's motovlog! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVJ...dohqI5QqaLiEOQ

Motovlogging is the most dangerous thing on a motorbike you can do I think
    Rest in Peace

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanoceros View Post
      Motovlogging is the most dangerous thing on a motorbike you can do I think
      Yeh probably, but you are off topic in an "i live under a bridge" way.

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Tapatalk

Comment

You won't find the information or data to back up your agenda without manipulating statistics.
        Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

I know what you mean, everyone knows someone that died on a bike so we should all stop riding, but no one tells someone after a car crash to stop driving, good luck on your search for unbiased data.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Comment

I've seen this argument before.

Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
            1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

I've had my car and bike license for 30 years and had no accidents except a kamakasi kangaroo 15 years ago
              so is your statement 50% correct?
              I would say riders make better drivers in a way we would be more observant of motorcycle riders.

Comment

Maybe collect data from a hopital ER. When I was recovering from a broken leg, I met 5 other riders at orthopedics we were all getting xrays on the same day and ended up talking about our crashes and how there was no way it was going to be the end of riding for us.
                Last edited by CharlieAlpha; 20-04-2016, 06:30 PM.
                Originally posted by Commander Keen
                "IF YOU DONT LOVE ROSSI YOU'RE A TERRORIST!!!!1!!1!one"

Comment

What a ridiculous argument...

There is always gonna be more people born..... than there is die....

Or on a motorcycle...not born on a motorcycle...although..I'd pay to see that video..

If you sit at home, in the loungeroom..and not ride or drive. you will die ....one day.

If you ride... you'll have the best story to quote to Your Maker...( She'll , of course, already know what happenened )

Same same ... if you drive a car/4x4/ ute/train/bus etc etc etc..

Sadly those left behind won't think it's terribly funny......

So leave 'em a video...song....txt.....anything...so that when the grief is getting too much... they can laugh.... till they cry.

We all deserve the best life has to give... so why not make the afterlife something special ...too?

when you worry about these choices....just remember... If you had life to do over....would YOU MAKE THE SAME choices. ?

Fuk Yeh!!!

so one vote for the positive.. counted.
                  " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

For me what started this was a recent report about a motorcycle crash, pretty standard, then I think the transport minister chimes in saying there's an increase blah blah and motorcycle vs car accidents are disproportionate then... right at the end of the article it makes mention that a number of recorded accidents involved unlicensed riders ... which I guess means, untrained, "I can ride a bicycle so wats different?!?! "
                    Hence I'm looking for raw data. I simply wont buy into the tired proclamation that motorcycles are dangerous.
                    Like Mickwoo said, as riders we are more observant/less distracted, we wear (suppose to) PPE, we're trained to a higher standard, we're a smaller target, more manoeuvrable and faster.

Comment

Originally posted by odanban View Post
                      as riders we are more observant/less distracted, we wear (suppose to) PPE, we're trained to a higher standard, we're a smaller target, more manoeuvrable and faster.
                      Not true at all. There are a lot of riders (being both people scooters and real bikes) I encounter daily who have no idea I'm behind them, whether we're both lane splitting or just chilling in traffic and that is just my limited experience in a small part of Perth. A lot of people don't wear proper PPE, they just wear whatever they wear normally plus a helmet, maybe gloves. Even if they wear "riding gear", textile doesn't do much to save you when you come off at any decent (legal) speed. Most motorcyclists (especially a big group here on PS are too good for the track, or too good for rider training, or too experienced to be taught anything new. Most LAMS bikes aren't much faster than any modern and capable car, and most scooters fit that bill too. They wouldn't have much hope of being able to 'blast' out of harms way, I found that out over 16 months of commuting on a 250. I'm not trying to have a massive dig at you or anything, but if you're going to make generalisations about riding habits of people (hint: a lot of people that ride bikes are irresponsible with their own and others safety) then back it up with data.

You also know that a lot of motorcycle statistics are taken from people that don't 'ride' ie bike thieves riding stolen road or dirt bikes, don't you ? You wont find many (if any) unbiased sources of statistics to back up your claim, but good luck.
                      Rest in Peace

Comment

Here's a start

I saw on some emergency ER show last night that 1 in 7 car accidents is due to alcohol in the system

So really, it's more dangerous to drive sober because that's what 6 out of 7 accidents involve

Comment

Originally posted by INTJ View Post
                          Here's a start

I saw on some emergency ER show last night that 1 in 7 car accidents is due to alcohol in the system

So really, it's more dangerous to drive sober because that's what 6 out of 7 accidents involve
                          My sides hurt and im wiping the tears

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Tapatalk

Comment

Riding is safer than driving except that when a crash does happen, the stats are not that positive.
                            Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wahoo!! What a ride!"

Comment

I think we're in agreeance more than you realise, the popular opinion is motorcycles are more dangerous, I want to dispute this. You've outlined all the bad habits of motorcyclists.
                              I want to counter this by outlining all the bad habits of drivers. e.g eating, reading, make-up, brushing hair, watching videos, TEXTing etc as well as limited vision, limited protection/need for additional protection e.g airbags all this and as Johnno says - no one says "stop driving" when you've had a car accident.
                              If I can find this data I may find a more truthful and unbiased result.

Comment

Working...
                              X