Are demo bikes a good deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are demo bikes a good deal?

I never know whether to think "wow, low K's, good price!" or "50 guys took their bad day out on this poor thing" and to pay the extra for new or go private used...

I bought a demo in the past and it was fine. Glad I did I suppose because when I sold it a year later I took a huge hit - which would have been bigger if I paid 'as-new' price.

But if I were intending on keeping a bike long-term, I don't know if it would bother me that it's ex-demo...

I bought a demo WRX once - I did consider what people do in AWD turbo charged cars....for about 5 mins

Comment

I bought mine as a demo, had a few hundred kays on it, saved over 5k on the as new price, didn't have to wait for it to be ordered in.
      Personally, I like to think that the 50 people who have thrashed it before me are just making sure that everything works correctly before I take ownership.
      Here lies the body of Harold Day
      He knew it was his right of way.
      He was right, dead right, as he rode along
      But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

Comment

My current bike was a demo, 50km on the clock, all by the shop staff. Did not worry me in the slightest.

I saved a tiny bit of money, but also a 3+ month waiting list, which is why they didn't have to offer much of a discount.
        For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
        For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

IMHO, the only 'concern' around demo bikes is the 'thrashing' they cop from test riders. There is however a train of throught that you should run a bike in with revs (albeit perhaps a little more controlled than test pilots might provide), to properly seat and wear in components.
          Race engines are built and then revved, I think most other engines are 'bench-tested' before fitament anyway.

If you think the saving in price is great, i'd say go for it.

If you like to follow the manufacturers specification for running in the vehicle, maybe think twice.

As a side line, I purchased a performance car as a demo. It provided me with over 150,000kms of trouble free motoring before I sold it- and still did not burn a drop of oil. I can assume it was 'tested' prior to me buying it - with no ill effects.

Comment

Considering the thrashing they get at the track you almost never see a later model motor pop and there is a fair range of rides show up for track days.

Be honest. 90% of you are going to get out of sight of the dealer and wrap it to the stop anyway so who gives a shit if someone had already checked it before you.
            The Bend

Hurry Up!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Corona 221 View Post
              Considering the thrashing they get at the track you almost never see a later model motor pop and there is a fair range of rides show up for track days.

Be honest. 90% of you are going to get out of sight of the dealer and wrap it to the stop anyway so who gives a shit if someone had already checked it before you.
              +1 On the reliability, as far as test rides go especially with most 600cc+ sportsbikes etc I reckon most people would be stretched to really do much to harm them given most shops/sellers are in the suburbs so really hard to hammer them without cops/cameras or traffic interfering
              #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
              Originally posted by Phildo
              Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
              Originally posted by filbert
              i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
              Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

People who say they thrash demo's all talk smack. It's what they've been pre-conditioned to tell their mates.

Except for me. I always thrash demo's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Rest in Peace
                Brother Ryad

Comment

what's the actual difference if it's been 'thrashed' or not?
                  at some stage or another you're going to thrash it too - does that mean you've fucked you're own bike? not at all, they're quite capable of handling a thrashing
                  I thrashed my gixxer for 5 years and 80000 and I mean rode it like I stole it most of the time...still no problems and it's been sold twice more since then and still going strong as ever
                  Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly...

Comment

Depends on the bike and target audience - eg my dad's ZRX1200S was a demo bike, couple thou demo km's
                    Now has 130,000 normal wear and tear stuff but he still loves it

Comment

There are very few people out there who can ride modern bikes anywhere near their limits in suburbia.

It would come down to the price you are getting it for.
                      They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

So it sounds mostly positive...

I wonder how far some are willing to go on the test ride... when I sign that paper and see the $4,000 or $8,000 (was it that high?!) insurance excess I owe if I drop, I ride it like I can't afford to drop it...

Comment

Originally posted by INTJ View Post
                          I wonder how far some are willing to go on the test ride... when I sign that paper and see the $4,000 or $8,000 (was it that high?!) insurance excess I owe if I drop, I ride it like I can't afford to drop it...
                          This.

On a bike you have never ridden, possibly with more power than you are used to, and a huge excess to payout if you bin your shit, what kind of mad cunt would go full-blown mario kart on it?

Outside of the PSB sick cunt association, obviously.

Comment

For what it's worth, I work for a dealership and would not hesitate to buy a demo bike.

Comment

I did once scrape the fuck out of a Harley footpegs on a test ride.

Can I join the sick cunts?

​Wasn't that hard to do actually.
                              They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Working...
                              X