Riding without a shadow on L plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding without a shadow on L plates

You don't need a shadow in South Australia, Victoria or NSW (Not sure about ACT or Tasmania, but who really cares?)

There are restrictions and rules.

Eg. In NSW cannot exceept 90kph and cannot ride between midnight and 5am.

In Victoria the learner must wear a hi-vis vest.

What are your thoughts on this system vs requiring a shadow in WA?

Isn't the shadows job to see what you are doing wrong and correct you prior to death

Comment

Yeah, why learn someone else's bad habits when you can teach yourself your own?
      The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

Originally posted by AZAZL View Post
        Yeah, why learn someone else's bad habits when you can teach yourself your own?
        Fair call experience is no match for enthusiasm anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Dealer View Post
          You don't need a shadow in South Australia, Victoria or NSW (Not sure about ACT or Tasmania, but who really cares?)

As you know I grew up over east but recently got my license in WA. Having never ridden a motorbike before I got my Ls I was more than happy to have shadows with me. I learnt alot of valuable tips from them and felt alot safer (albeit perhaps a purely psychological sense of security) having experienced riders with me.

It can be inconvenient needing to organise a shadow any time you want to jump on your bike, and there will be vastly different opinions, but I was glad to have shadows. Oh and for the record, I never once expected them to act an an instructor. They offered tips and advice but I still did paid lessons. It's all about being able to distinguish between good riding techniques and bad habits and using common sense
          You can tell alot about a person by the way they wash their bike

Comment

Comment

I am sure shadow is same as having your parent in the car while driving under L's.
              Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
              remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
              Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
              Who died while defending his right of way;
              He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
              But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

Since 2012, the fatal accident rate for motorcyclists (per 10,000 riders) in Vic and SA has been better or the same as WA. Roads in the eastern states are considerably more technical and in worse condition than WA.

Comment

It would be nice to have more Evidence based policies and procedures from Government, licensing and Policing, the L plate differences are probably a good thing to write to your politician about to reduce bureaucracy and make motorcycling in WA less elitist and more accessible.

It's also mind numbing that Transport, Policing and a few other bureaucracies aren't federally handled rather than every state having their own duplication of services which must be costing the country a staggering sum of money and lost opportunity compared with more efficiently governed countries.

Comment

In California if you fluke the theory you get a paper provisional license to drive around for 12 months before you have to sit the practical. No shadow, no L plates, no nothing. Who the hell couldn't figure out how to drive in 12 months. You would either become competent or get killed.
                    -

Comment

in the UK you used to be able to ride on a provisional licence as long as you liked. Rules have probably changed now though

Comment

If I didn't need a shadow (or if I ignored the law) I would have had a lot more practice and become a competent rider much sooner. I lived a 5 minute ride away from the large empty parking lot that all bike instructors in my area use (Ocean Reef Marina) and all I wanted to do each day was get down there and try, fail, try again on my bike... I would have also probably got my license 15 years ago when money became the obstacle due to high cost of lessons. Earn $80 per week... lessons cost at least $50... go figure.

Maybe under 25's and/or people without a currently held car license need a shadow, but once you get a bit older and less impulsive and have been on the roads in a car for a few years, it's safe to say you're probably not as likely to go completely bat-shit-crazy on your bike L's than your younger self.

Comment

Too many rules. Life has a 100% mortality rate. More lions in sidecars I say.

Comment

I think the current system is a preferable one from a safety point of view although the eastern states way would be likely to give more time on the roads Possibly a combination of the 2 with a 2 stage learning process whereby you need to do xx hours under instruction/supervision before being allowed to go by themselves but maybe restricted to 50kmh zones
                            #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                            Originally posted by Phildo
                            Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                            Originally posted by filbert
                            i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                            Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

I just got my R learners

It would be great for me to be able to get time on a R bike without having to have a shadow/instructor - daylight hours, 60km/hr (HA!) speed limited

if I haven't fallen off my MT07 in 12 months I'm probably not going to fall off an MT09

or am I

BUM BUM BAAAAAAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X