Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Insurance Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Insurance Thread

    Mate - I’ve tried to offer you the best advice I can give you, but I’m not trawling through an insurer pds/wording to give you the exact lines you want. This is an Internet forum where i will offer some advice and suggestions, but without being to harsh: your not a client, and I’m not getting paid.

    I also highly doubt they are saying your lying. Ive offered you a number of different scenario’s and possibilities as to what has occurred. I would suggest that the insurer wrote the bike off in the condition that you got it back in.

    As I said whatever may have happened in between - too bad so sad. Shit happens sometimes - roll with it.

    I’ve tried a few different ways to tell you that you have next to no hope so now I’m going to be blunt:

    Give up. You won’t win. If they were going to do anything, they would have by now.

    Keep doing what you want to do


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • Originally posted by rubin View Post
      Mate - I’ve tried to offer you the best advice I can give you, but I’m not trawling through an insurer pds/wording to give you the exact lines you want. This is an Internet forum where i will offer some advice and suggestions, but without being to harsh: your not a client, and I’m not getting paid.

      I also highly doubt they are saying your lying. Ive offered you a number of different scenario’s and possibilities as to what has occurred. I would suggest that the insurer wrote the bike off in the condition that you got it back in.

      As I said whatever may have happened in between - too bad so sad. Shit happens sometimes - roll with it.

      I’ve tried a few different ways to tell you that you have next to no hope so now I’m going to be blunt:

      Give up. You won’t win. If they were going to do anything, they would have by now.

      Keep doing what you want to do


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      rubin I was not having a go at you, I do really appreciate you taking the time to respond .

      Remember, you are the one who started this thread saying

      "Firstly, I'm not selling anything, just wanting to help out where I can. I don’t like seeing people getting shafted if there is anything I can do to assist. Something that I notice is common place is that many people do not understand their own Insurance, or want some advice on what to do, so I thought it may best to start an Insurance thread itself, where I am happy to offer advice, suggestions or solutions to any problems or issues you may have."

      Im now not looking for advice, I'm after facts.

      With respect, Its all well and good to tell me this and that but if I cannot , after searching myself, find evidence of what you are saying then please understand I would hope I could at least ask you for more information without getting my head bitten off.

      I'm sure sometimes you want to see the actual evidence rather than from what someone tells you. Once again that does not mean I'm having a go at you. I appreciate you starting this thread , thats why Im here.

      The RAC PDS is pretty short, I can look thru it in a less than a couple of minutes. Nothing changes my view after reading it. I'm just asking you to provide evidence or a link , direction, anything to confirm what you are telling me, thats all .

      People seem to be able to tell me that the insurer owns the bike as soon as they write it off but none one has proved this well known and 'obvious fact' to me yet. Can you at least tell me what legislation , law or other official document it is in? Ill look for it myself but I don't know where to even look for it.

      cheers

      all good rubin!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by bullerboarder View Post
        Hi Rubin ,

        My bike was written off and I bought it back from the insurer. However when I went to pick the bike up here was extra damage to the bike not from the accident. I expected and was told the bike would be in the same condition as when it was given to them.

        They are refusing to acknowledge this extra damage saying it was from the accident even though their own photos prove otherwise and I have witnesses who can verify otherwise. They also stated that even though they are meant to look after my bike whilst in their care if they damage it they DO NOT have to tell me about it and that they are not liable and it's my problem!

        After asking for the extra damage to be repaired all they say is if I'm not happy I can return the bike to them. The bike has sentimental value and I always stated I wanted to keep it. And in every email they keep asking me what I specifically want done to fix the problem even though I told them specifically I want it fixed!

        Intrigued to hear your thoughts....




        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        What is the extent of the extra damage?

        If I insure a personal vehicle I'll typically always go with shannons. Had one claim - no problems, and whenever I've got a quote it's always been another petrol head on the other end of the line that I end up having a natter with. Not to mention they're the only company I've been able to get all cars insured with and with the best prices.. I hate insurance companies generally but don't have anything bad from my experiences with them to date.

        Comment


        • Dude, he gave you advice. Escalate, involve the ombudsman, see how you go. Rubin cannot resolve your issue.

          And for your information, from the RAC Motorcycle Insurance PDS, bottom of page 19:

          "When we declare your motorcycle a total loss

          ...

          Your motorcycle becomes our property, your policy
          comes to an end and there is no refund of any portion
          of your premium"

          Comment


          • Well I received my renewal for the insurance on the 2016 VFR 800 from Swann yesterday.
            They have increased the excess from $400 to $475, dropped my insured value from $17,500 to $13,500 (including accessories) and are charging the same premium of $720. Time to find another insurer me thinks.

            Contacted a number of insurers so far;

            RACWA. Bike is outside their underwriting acceptance criteria. Not the response I expected and disappointing given all my other goodies are insured with them and I'm a gold member.
            Shannons. $870 for $15,500 agreed bike & accessories.
            QBE. $480 pa for the same $15,500 value. Though this was via an agent, not QBE directly.
            I was insured with them once and left after being rear ended by an uninsured MOP and loosing my excess until they had full recovery from the MOP so I'm familiar with their shredded down to a price policy. You get what you pay for.

            Any other decent insurers out there I should look into? I'd prefer a insurer that offers a full comprehensive cover rather than a shredded down to a price policy like QBE. I haven't phoned swann insurance yet about their lousy renewal offer, I figure I'll do that by cancelling my policy and see what they'll offer.
            Last edited by Cone Cat; 27-10-2017, 07:54 AM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Cone Cat View Post
              Well I received my renewal for the insurance on the 2016 VFR 800 from Swann yesterday.
              They have increased the excess from $400 to $475, dropped my insured value from $17,500 to $13,500 (including accessories) and are charging the same premium of $720. Time to find another insurer me thinks.

              Contacted a number of insurers so far;

              RACWA. Bike is outside their underwriting acceptance criteria. Not the response I expected and disappointing given all my other goodies are insured with them and I'm a gold member.
              Shannons. $870 for $15,500 agreed bike & accessories.
              QBE. $480 pa for the same $15,500 value. Though this was via an agent, not QBE directly.
              I was insured with them once and left after being rear ended by an uninsured MOP and loosing my excess until they had full recovery from the MOP so I'm familiar with their shredded down to a price policy. You get what you pay for.

              Any other decent insurers out there I should look into? I'd prefer a insurer that offers a full comprehensive cover rather than a shredded down to a price policy like QBE. I haven't phoned swann insurance yet about their lousy renewal offer, I figure I'll do that by cancelling my policy and see what they'll offer.
              SGIO are worth getting a quote from. Had a bike stolen a couple of years ago and got paid out with no real drama. Had no issues with various other claims on motor vehicles with them in the past.
              Originally posted by mekon
              Why are pirates called pirates?
              Because they Arrrrrr

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Cone Cat View Post
                Well I received my renewal for the insurance on the 2016 VFR 800 from Swann yesterday.
                They have increased the excess from $400 to $475, dropped my insured value from $17,500 to $13,500 (including accessories) and are charging the same premium of $720. Time to find another insurer me thinks.

                Contacted a number of insurers so far;

                RACWA. Bike is outside their underwriting acceptance criteria. Not the response I expected and disappointing given all my other goodies are insured with them and I'm a gold member.
                Shannons. $870 for $15,500 agreed bike & accessories.
                QBE. $480 pa for the same $15,500 value. Though this was via an agent, not QBE directly.
                I was insured with them once and left after being rear ended by an uninsured MOP and loosing my excess until they had full recovery from the MOP so I'm familiar with their shredded down to a price policy. You get what you pay for.

                Any other decent insurers out there I should look into? I'd prefer a insurer that offers a full comprehensive cover rather than a shredded down to a price policy like QBE. I haven't phoned swann insurance yet about their lousy renewal offer, I figure I'll do that by cancelling my policy and see what they'll offer.
                Said it before and will say it again, NEVER pay the renewal a new policy will always be cheaper.
                "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

                Comment


                • Originally posted by MikeL View Post
                  SGIO are worth getting a quote from. Had a bike stolen a couple of years ago and got paid out with no real drama. Had no issues with various other claims on motor vehicles with them in the past.
                  Do not go with SGIO. IMO they are a bunch of cunts....been with them for over twenty years for house, contents etc...and they dont give a fuck we are not happy...even had a claim for a weather damaged door declined...why the fuck we stayed with them is beyond belief.....too hard to change I suppose.
                  Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

                  Comment


                  • Thanks for the info guys.

                    Well for the record, I got an online quote from SGIO, $568 PA for $13700 and all accessories are covered as long as they are genuine/legal. Have to read the PDF for detail on that regarding my Akrapovic slip on which is a Honda accessory.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Cone Cat View Post
                      Thanks for the info guys.

                      Well for the record, I got an online quote from SGIO, $568 PA for $13700 and all accessories are covered as long as they are genuine/legal. Have to read the PDF for detail on that regarding my Akrapovic slip on which is a Honda accessory.
                      Get a quote from Swann as a new customer and see what they offer you.
                      Originally posted by Desmo
                      Why be a cunt about it?

                      Comment


                      • If you can go with Shannons, do it.

                        I gotta wait til they get a bit more competitive price wise, hey offered me double what QBE was charging to stayed with QBE for now, but the car has been with Shannons 7 years now and won't be going anywhere.
                        '13 YZF-R1 // '00 RZ Supra // '72 XA Fairmont Sedan (Resto Project)

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Alternate View Post
                          Dude, he gave you advice. Escalate, involve the ombudsman, see how you go. Rubin cannot resolve your issue.

                          And for your information, from the RAC Motorcycle Insurance PDS, bottom of page 19:

                          "When we declare your motorcycle a total loss

                          ...

                          Your motorcycle becomes our property, your policy
                          comes to an end and there is no refund of any portion
                          of your premium"

                          Dude, I said I greatly appreciated the advice, and I never said or implied I wanted Rubin to resolve the issue. All I'm looking for now are facts.

                          Also, a friendly tip, when you read a document don't just randomly combine a general heading with a specific paragraph down the page and totally ignore whats written in between the two, therefore coming up with something different.

                          The RAC PDS you mention actually states,

                          "When we settle a total loss claim:" (there are 3 points under this and the 3rd point states.....)
                          "Your motorcycle becomes our property , your policy comes to an end and there is no refund of any portion of your premium"

                          The statement above completely backs up what the settlement offer I received from the insurer states , being: "if you do not wish to retain the bike, then it becomes our property"

                          If you want to disagree with the insurance companys' own PDS, AND their own settlement offer , thats your perogative but so far, no facts have been produced to say otherwise.

                          Comment


                          • ok, I see what you're saying, I didn't pick up what you were trying to say with the difference between automatically becomes their property or after settlement. I cut the rest out to shorten the post, not come up with something different.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
                              Said it before and will say it again, NEVER pay the renewal a new policy will always be cheaper.
                              Originally posted by Commander Keen View Post
                              Get a quote from Swann as a new customer and see what they offer you.
                              These ^^ I was with Swann for quite a few years and had the usual price rises/dropping of value as well but then when I had my accident I queried gear cover because the renewal I had and the previous one said I was covered for $1500 gear plus $750 helmet from memory but when I rang they said because my policy was an old one it didn't apply so I couldn't claim my gear

                              BUT what he did do was do me a new policy with $1000 more agreed value on the same monthly repayments and with $3k of gear cover So I was actually better off and now I ring and get a new quote if itchanges by a fair amount
                              #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                              Originally posted by Phildo
                              Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                              Originally posted by filbert
                              i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

                              98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                              Ozblackbird.net Administrator

                              Comment


                              • Anyone got any advice or experiences with 3rd party + fire/theft?

                                I'm fully comp now, looking to reduce costs as I would be willing to eat the self repair bill on an at fault accident, but would very much like to still be insured for theft. Checking quickly it doesn't seem like all insurers do it for bikes, and one said they couldn't because max value they'll insure for theft was $5000 and the bike is worth more than that.

                                I pay ~$650 annually now for an agreed value of about 15k, which I think drops to 13k this year. 3rd party alone seems to come in at ~$130-200 a year, I'd be hoping that +fire/theft wouldn't add too much to that, but I don't know.

                                Your advice is appreciated.
                                Originally posted by boeman
                                Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

                                I mean fuck, im not a selfish cunt.
                                Originally posted by Chuck Steak
                                Well fuck off then. And wherever you decide to fuck off to, keep telling them Perth is a shithole - it may help minimise the number of fuckwits/arseholes (can’t decide which word is more appropriate ) that move here.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X