Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Fixed Speed Cams Fwd and Rear Facing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Fixed Speed Cams Fwd and Rear Facing?

Got flashed on Farmer fwy by the new fixed cam y'day... oops

Hoping it is only fwd facing

sooo... did it flash you as you approached, or after you went past it?

Also, you couldn't tell by looking at it?

Also also, I might take a ride out there today to check it out. Any excuse for a ride, right?

Comment

They're either forward OR rear facing. Not all the boxes have cameras in them at all times as there's not enough cameras to go around. Work van had a radar detector/jammer in it which would alarm when a camera was detected. The southbound one on the Kwinana Fwy near Como wasn't active for months at a time.

Looks like the one you went through is forward facing.

In Victoria it's almost impossible to get done by a camera. All the fixed ones are listed in my GPS and the mobile ones are all in small SUVs parked on the side of the road as to be highly visible, compared to WA where they hide in the bushes.

Just went to South Australia and they have black highway patrol cars that try to camouflage behind trees/buildings and get you with the hair dryer.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Dealer View Post
        They're either forward OR rear facing.
        I don't think that's right mate.

I know of one location that has two cameras to catch BOTH directions.
        See here: On the Kwinana freeway near Fiona Stanley (pan to the right to see the other one).

EDIT: Maybe they don't have cameras in both at the same time (or at all, as you mentioned), but they have the option.

Comment

The angle of the one on GFF would not permit it to be rear facing. It's on a 30 degree angle or thereabouts thus would not be able to capture rear photos as the camera on the retreating side would have it pointing at/in the road verge

Comment

That Burswood one is in a terrible spot, right at the 2nd merge point in a few hundred metres. Almost designed to catch out anyone silly enough to be watching traffic and trying to safely fit into a gap, instead of having eyes glued to the speedo at all times.
            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

They're either forward OR rear facing. Not all the boxes have cameras in them at all times as there's not enough cameras to go around. Work van had a radar detector/jammer in it which would alarm when a camera was detected. The southbound one on the Kwinana Fwy near Como wasn't active for months at a time.

Looks like the one you went through is forward facing.

In Victoria it's almost impossible to get done by a camera. All the fixed ones are listed in my GPS and the mobile ones are all in small SUVs parked on the side of the road as to be highly visible, compared to WA where they hide in the bushes.

Just went to South Australia and they have black highway patrol cars that try to camouflage behind trees/buildings and get you with the hair dryer.

Hmmm, Victoria.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law...7eaba16dbeaa34

Originally posted by Kristy View Post
              The angle of the one on GFF would not permit it to be rear facing. It's on a 30 degree angle or thereabouts thus would not be able to capture rear photos as the camera on the retreating side would have it pointing at/in the road verge
              And I did look once to see if it could get a rear shot heading east but the shrubbery on the median blocks it.

Are they on some sort turntable so they can be moved?
              They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by chew View Post
                "Victoria Police has a written policy that bans the use of concealed mobile speed cameras, but there is no restriction on radar guns."

News article is from 4 years ago. I'm not sure if they're still using the camo.

Comment

shrubbery

Sorry - couldn't help myself...

Comment

Faaaaaaaaaark I got one in the mail today.
                    Heading west on Reid hwy and Balcatta rd a rear facer by the traffic lights 78 over 70 $100. I guess it's a permanent feature
                    I notice there are a lot of new cameras at traffic lights that look like they're part of a number plate recognition network...
                    FUCK YOU BIG BROTHER
                    The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
                    G T

Comment

Also can vouch for the camera on corner of Alexander Dr and Gnangara Rd is working, takes awesome clear shots.

I think they should upspec the colour more...because the blue of my bike looks a bit washed out.

Come on Zao...lift your game mate.
                      Originally posted by Viper
                      I'm probably fucking something up.
                      FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
                      Administrator

Comment

They're either forward OR rear facing. Not all the boxes have cameras in them at all times as there's not enough cameras to go around.

From what I've read, that's no longer the case. They used to have 1 camera between 5 fixed locations, but through their fund raising campaigns have purchased enough to go round.

Originally posted by Green Trident View Post
                        Faaaaaaaaaark I got one in the mail today.
                        Heading west on Reid hwy and Balcatta rd a rear facer by the traffic lights 78 over 70 $100. I guess it's a permanent feature
                        I notice there are a lot of new cameras at traffic lights that look like they're part of a number plate recognition network...
                        FUCK YOU BIG BROTHER
                        That whole section should be at least 90: brand new road in far better condition than the rest of reid hwy and nothing surrounding it, yet the limit remains 70??

Comment

Originally posted by pnork View Post
                          sooo... did it flash you as you approached, or after you went past it?

Also, you couldn't tell by looking at it?

Also also, I might take a ride out there today to check it out. Any excuse for a ride, right?
                          Flashed as I approached

Also, no I couldn't as explained below

Also, can't actually see if it shoots both ways unless I stop in the emergency lane and have a look. You've seen how drivers enter the freeway there, I ain't stopping....

Besides it's been answered... 😊

Anecdote: my speedo is set to a GPS using a speedo healer as in its as delivered state it was over stating speed by over 10%. It read 80 kmh when I passed the camera.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Kristy View Post
                          You are my new best friend 😀

Comment

Hmmm, Victoria.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law...7eaba16dbeaa34

And I did look once to see if it could get a rear shot heading east but the shrubbery on the median blocks it.

Are they on some sort turntable so they can be moved?
                            I tried to have a look from the other side of the road on my commute home but missed it. I saw concrete there one day and then next day it had appeared. If it were turnable there'd have to be weak points and a leverage point and I'm sure that'd get take advantage of by people who've been stung. I'd suggest it's bolted down.

It's only as you come around the bend you see it so probably catches people unawares anyway. Personally I don't see why they're not all rear facing, but I'm certainly not complaining they're not.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by flashpixx View Post

You are my new best friend 😀
                            Welcome. Pretty sure the pic Speed Dealer posted is the one on the GFF - look at the angle of it.

Comment

"Victoria Police has a written policy that bans the use of concealed mobile speed cameras, but there is no restriction on radar guns."

News article is from 4 years ago. I'm not sure if they're still using the camo.
                              Sitting on the only overtaking lane for miles? Sounds just like the cunts here putting cameras on the OT lane on Toodyay Rd near Stoneville Rd All it means is that it encourages people to overtake over double lines rather than use the OT lanes
                              #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                              Originally posted by Phildo
                              Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                              Originally posted by filbert
                              i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                              Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Working...
                              X