Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Parking in Subiaco

Good morning all,
    I have been asked to look into providing more motorcycle parking within Subiaco.
    For those that ride/work in Subiaco,
    Where would you like to see more Motorcycle Parking bays?

*Note. I work for the City of Subiaco.*
    This friendly announcement was brought to you by WAPOL
    Taking peoples Cash for their Christmas Fund on Straight pieces of road

Heh, did this eventuate due to my email to the City of Subi last week asking for more bike parking at the train station, as well as some sort of barrier to stop dumb fucks knocking over bikes as they reverse from their bays?

Comment

I haven't seen that email,
      But have heard that 3 bikes have been knocked over due to people reversing into them in the past 3 months.
      I have just written a proposal to have a Bollard put into that area to stop(or try to stop) that from happening.
      Still looking into how to increase bays in that area, and keep all parties happy.
      If you have any suggestions, I want to hear them.
      Good, bad or otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by ELIMN8R View Post
        I haven't seen that email,
        But have heard that 3 bikes have been knocked over due to people reversing into them in the past 3 months.
        I have just written a proposal to have a Bollard put into that area to stop(or try to stop) that from happening.
        Still looking into how to increase bays in that area, and keep all parties happy.
        If you have any suggestions, I want to hear them.
        Good, bad or otherwise.
        Heh, yep that was me emailing Whaddya know, good shit does sometimes happen when you bother to make an effort (always make the effort, just that it doesn't always pay off).
        One was a Beemer S1000RR, one was my colleague's Virago, one was a CBRthou.
        They're the 3 that I know of, I'm sure there's been more.
        There's room there to install more bike bays there (but probably if you had 2 rows it would inhibit the front row getting out as there's a car bay in front that would block them in). There's also plenty of other places at the train station as there's plenty of paving/footpath.
        Some of the parking at the top of Hay St is fucked as it slopes downhill.
        Last edited by Kristy; 13-06-2017, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Just make it legal to park on the footpath, as long as it doesn't obstruct same.

Simples!
          “The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. - W Churchill”

Comment

Good on ya [MENTION=11235]Kristy[/MENTION] and good on you [MENTION=17405]ELIMN8R[/MENTION] for asking for ideas!

Jump on it Subi-riders, this is a rare and good opportunity!
            Ryan

Originally posted by Aufitt
            Try Para045, he definitely sounds all gooey in the fork for ya

Comment

Originally posted by SPman View Post
              Just make it legal to park on the footpath, as long as it doesn't obstruct same.

Simples!
              Good in theory,
              But not going to happen. Parking on Footpaths in WA(Subi at least) will always remain illegal

Comment

Originally posted by Kristy View Post
                Heh, yep that was me emailing Whaddya know, good shit does sometimes happen when you bother to make an effort (always make the effort, just that it doesn't always pay off).
                One was a Beemer S1000RR, one was my colleague's Virago, one was a CBRthou.
                They're the 3 that I know of, I'm sure there's been more.
                There's room there to install more bike bays there (but probably if you had 2 rows it would inhibit the front row getting out as there's a car bay in front that would block them in). There's also plenty of other places at the train station as there's plenty of paving/footpath.
                Some of the parking at the top of Hay St is fucked as it slopes downhill.
                The problems for parking in Car Bays, or taking them away, is your perceived by the traders that you are taking away their potential customers, plus the commercial parking division won't allow Paid parking bays to be taken.
                I personally do agree that there is tons of parking within the train station area for motorcycles, however, unless its marked as Motorcycle bays, then legally you can't park there. See above point for parking on the footpath.
                There are 4 bays(double length) behind Dome, that are fairly rarely used. Its a fairly high traffic area, so security of bikes shouldn't be a problem
                Also 3 bays on the cnr Hay/Axon, very rarely used.
                And Park Street Carstation, behind Coles(On Barker Rd) also have 4(maybe 6) motorcycle bays, which are also fairly rarely used.
                The parking around the train station is a thing that's causing much beating of head against the wall.
                Trying to find a solution, but its proving hard to find

Comment

Originally posted by ELIMN8R View Post
                  The problems for parking in Car Bays, or taking them away, is your perceived by the traders that you are taking away their potential customers, plus the commercial parking division won't allow Paid parking bays to be taken.
                  I personally do agree that there is tons of parking within the train station area for motorcycles, however, unless its marked as Motorcycle bays, then legally you can't park there. See above point for parking on the footpath.
                  There are 4 bays(double length) behind Dome, that are fairly rarely used. Its a fairly high traffic area, so security of bikes shouldn't be a problem
                  Also 3 bays on the cnr Hay/Axon, very rarely used.
                  And Park Street Carstation, behind Coles(On Barker Rd) also have 4(maybe 6) motorcycle bays, which are also fairly rarely used.
                  The parking around the train station is a thing that's causing much beating of head against the wall.
                  Trying to find a solution, but its proving hard to find
                  Yep, aware you can't park in car bays.
                  Used to work near Hay/Axon and that parking could get quite full - ended up putting post it notes on the scooters to park closer to each other so others could fit.
                  They've obviously moved the bike bays near Coles cos I didn't see them last time I was there and was looking for them to park.
                  Dome's too far to be bothered walking to the train (no it's not hugely far but currently people are parking on the paving (me included) so wouldn't bother). Parking on the paving isn't an issue as it's not in the way/not a safety issue. While the Wilson car park is under cover, the bikes are in a "let's use some dead, out-of-the-way space for bikes" area and I wouldn't feel my bike is overly safe there.
                  I won't park in the bay closest to where cars reverse - even before I knew bikes were being knocked over I wouldn't park there as I knew numpties would hit them. You could rip up some of the paving at the traino and dedicate bike bays.
                  People park there all day so obviously take the train to work so more parking is needed. Put some on the opposite side?

Comment

One suggestion to increase motorbike bays is to change the orientation of current bike bays.
                    If these bays on Rokeby Road were rotated 90 degrees, it would allow for an additional bike to be parked.
                    This would also allow reverse parking - rather than reversing into traffic with limited visibility when leaving.

Comment

Maybe along the main road where ever there is room take it. I have seen many opportunities (around perth, not specifically subi) where there are areas of unused bitchumen which a bike or more can be squeezed into. Especially on side roads off the main strip, like Vic park has done, they put a bike parking here and there and that has been very useful as these are located near the main strip and no in some dead end corner where we all do not feel safe leaving bikes.

Comment

To be honest that orientation is idiotic anyway, they should have been rotated from the start so that the vehicle parking doesn't have to reverse to pass the motorbikes.

I'd like to see more on Bagot Rd, and look forward to the day we follow Melbourne in allowing them parked on verges/sidewalks (within reason and sensibly).

Quite often I park behind the cars on Bagot Rd in a gap (behind the last car) so as to not take up a bay or available car parking, though there are no designated MC bays. Once parked on the verge between the road and a tree (where no one would be walking) and copped the fine.

The other thing is time limits for MC bays.
                        '13 YZF-R1 // '00 RZ Supra // '72 XA Fairmont Sedan (Resto Project)

Comment

Originally posted by shifted View Post

The other thing is time limits for MC bays.
                          are you suggesting there should be? The incentive to riding is that it doesn't cost anything to park and if you work in the area, you can leave your bike there all day

Comment

Originally posted by Kristy View Post
                            are you suggesting there should be? The incentive to riding is that it doesn't cost anything to park and if you work in the area, you can leave your bike there all day
                            I'm guessing he's alluding to the fact most MC bays in the city at least seem to only be 1/2 an hour which is almost useless
                            #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                            Originally posted by Phildo
                            Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                            Originally posted by filbert
                            i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                            Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                              I'm guessing he's alluding to the fact most MC bays in the city at least seem to only be 1/2 an hour which is almost useless
                              I assume shifted is talking Subi given the rest of the post is about Subi (as is the thread). I'm not aware of any timed bike bays in Subi?

Comment

Working...
                              X