Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie looking for advice

Hey everybody

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong area, a friend of mine told me this would be a sweet place for some advice!

My partner bought me a 2008 ninja 250r for my birthday- done about 4500kms.

The guy it was bought from said it was serviced recently but pretty sure he is full of shit as it had no oil in it. He also barely used it so he says. Anyway. It makes a strange noise when just chilling in the garage. Sort of like air or compression release I guess is best way to describe it. It also shuts off after start up. So like goes on, couple seconds later shuts off. Sometimes does it only once but sometimes takes me few goes.i noticed some white smoke come out of exhaust other day too.

Basically wondering if anyone knows what these things could be before I get taken for all my money getting it serviced? Or am I being paranoid and some of these things normal?

Additionally if anyone knows a great service spot north of river (Joondalup area) i an in jindalee. That would be really awesome too. I'm a uni student so can't afford somewhere extortionate

I haven't yet got it serviced as just saving up some money but have been too scared to ride it incase it's something serious and I do more damage

As you can probably tell I'm so new motorbike mechanical world so hoping you guys will be able to help! Anything would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for reading

Video noise and upload

Place the bike upright then check the oil (2 people), it should be at the full mark and a nice golden brown colour (recently serviced).

May need to adjust idle when warmed up.

White smoke happens when its cold outside, but if you see constant bubbles in the coolant its not a good sign.

Heres a service manual
    http://mototh.com/files/kawasaki/Nin...FI-English.pdf

Owners manual
    http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/sho...me=&modelyear=
    Last edited by Halo_2; 12-07-2017, 07:11 AM.
    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Air escape noise might be pressure relise from fuel tank , some bikes like to make noise when they are asleep
      REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
      (anarchy in english )

Comment

Hi I'm in Yanchep and don't mind dropping by and giving it a quick once over to see if it's ok to ride. As mentioned the air is nearly certainly the fuel tank that has created a vacuum, try running the bike with the fuel cap off see if it runs any better.

Comment

Get Derek Ball (mobile mechanic) to have a look at it asap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Water pig View Post
            try running the bike with the fuel cap off see if it runs any better.
            Thats a good idea
            "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Every Ninja 250 I've seen makes the fuel tank noise...
              Also the last one I rode would be a pig to keep running until warm. IIRC it also had a manual choke?

I'm also fairly local and don't mind having a look, the lack of oil is the biggest worry and easily checked. As previously mentioned the bike must be upright to check oil level.

Comment

First, check the oil, oil filter and air filter. All of those will have an impact on how it starts and warms up.

For those 3, YouTube is great if you are not a motorbike mechanical expert.

As Tim said as well, I'd be happy to give you a hand with them if you like and can show you how to do them in the future (I also have a spare oil filter if you need one).

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
                  Get Derek Ball (mobile mechanic) to have a look at it asap!

+1 He's up that way (Mindarie)
                  #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                  Originally posted by Phildo
                  Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                  Originally posted by filbert
                  i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                  Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                    +1 He's up that way (Mindarie)
                    You're a Northern monkey too Para? 😍

Failing Derek Ball, another Derek from West Coast Honda/Husqvarna Joondalup is a champ.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
                    Rest in Peace
                    Brother Ryad

Comment

Originally posted by DQ View Post
                      You're a Northern monkey too Para? ��
                      Not that far north though
                      #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                      Originally posted by Phildo
                      Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                      Originally posted by filbert
                      i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                      Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Working...
                      X