Autonomous cars and motorcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autonomous cars and motorcycles

This is a first for me, haven't seen a news article about a crash before. Up til now its all been hypothetical.

Will be interesting to see how technology will adapt over time. Hopefully it's not the beginning of the end for motorcycles!

HTML Code:
    https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/12/driverless-car-from-gms-cruise-and-motorcycle-collide-in-san-francisco/
    Like to know your thoughts.

Surprised the autonomous vehicle didn't react......I've been on the RAC autonomous bus down on South Perth foreshore and that thing reacts super fast to an issue (mind you it was only doing about 15kph)!!....its road positioning is accurate down to 1cm2 which I thought was pretty awesome.
    I guess if the motorbike entered the cars lane before the car had fully exited it then the fault lies with the rider??
    God gave Man both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.

Comment

i think it will take a lot more R & D & expense even after they are every where to make a turning auto car aware of a motorcycle at speed limit and above. the cameras & sensors will have to have a huge range to account for all scenarios. i dont see the extra effort to save riders traveling over the limit happening for a while not unless a few of the nerds are enthusiasts

maneuvering around them will become much easier tho, much more predicable, will be able to merge, wont swerve all over the place or try & cut you off splitting.. O it will be a glorious future

Comment

Glorious for sure! Cant wait to dive bomb them.

There was a tesla last year that killed the driver. Reported to not distinguish a truck from the sky.
        The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

In all fairness a lot of drivers on the road are also unable to determine the difference between clear road and vehicles, especially in challenging conditions such as a scenic cloudless day or a busy Facebook feed.
          __________________________________________________ ____________
          "No, no. Not Sawyer like the valley. Sour like sweet and sour, only European"

Comment

Imagine having a crash with a google automated car? Your totally fucked. good luck sueing or defending yourself against google for recovering damages, and im sure insurance companies wont cover it because they could never win.it will be your fault, regardless.
            I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

I wonder if the occupiers are elgable to become a witness, given that there are so many reasons not to pay attention, eg, the elderly,children, conducting business. lol.or just to drunk or both.
              Yer ,technology is already doing that.
              Bloody hell, pushies mite become safer.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoof View Post
                Hopefully it's not the beginning of the end for motorcycles!
                I think autonomous MC's are a long way off
                #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                Originally posted by Phildo
                Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                Originally posted by filbert
                i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                  I think autonomous MC's are a long way off
                  I'm not so sure. Already we are seeing self balancing technology. What is to say that there won't be two wheeled autonomous vehicles to even further reduce congestion. Could be open or closed cockpit.

This technology is developing so quickly, it will be on us before you know it.

Won't be nearly as much fun though
                  Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
                    I'm not so sure. Already we are seeing self balancing technology. What is to say that there won't be two wheeled autonomous vehicles to even further reduce congestion. Could be open or closed cockpit.

This technology is developing so quickly, it will be on us before you know it.

Won't be nearly as much fun though
                    yeh drones have that tech already.... bikes next....
                    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

Do you think legislation could come to suit autonomous vehicles at the expensive of non autonomous? There would be a huge transition period as they wont scrap fuel driven and human driven overnight. Slower speed limits creeping in for example?

Comment

As long as they can find a way to make money out of it.
                        In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

Originally posted by Graelin View Post
                          Do you think legislation could come to suit autonomous vehicles at the expensive of non autonomous? There would be a huge transition period as they wont scrap fuel driven and human driven overnight. Slower speed limits creeping in for example?
                          Sadly, yes. And probably huge insurance premiums if you insist on driving yourself.
                          Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Sounds great but for a country that can't get a decent internet speed or phone service in place it's going to take 200 years for the states to work out how to license it ..........

Comment

Originally posted by keys View Post
                              Sounds great but for a country that can't get a decent internet speed or phone service in place it's going to take 200 years for the states to work out how to license it ..........
                              Or bring it in. Then find it doesn't work so restrict further what did work. How often does government ever go back once they start a flawed project

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
                              Sadly, yes. And probably huge insurance premiums if you insist on driving yourself.

Ah yes that word choice! Make it so you give up through expense.

Comment

Working...
                              X