L-plate slow speed practice alone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L-plate slow speed practice alone?

I just want to know if there is anywhere near joondalup I can go to practice O turns and U turns unsupervised because I don't want to drag a shadow out every time I wanna practice, also I ain't paying an instructor 80 bucks an hour to tell me to hold my clutch at the friction zone and trailbrake etc. over and over, with me wincing at the impatience growing in their voice. Preferably a legal spot if there are any, but as long as the cops are almost certainly not going to bother me Im fine with it.

In theory you can take the L's off and go wherever you want and there would be no reason police would bother you. But that's irresponsible, so my suggestion is your driveway or garage. You obviously know the technique, just need to repeat it over and over... TBH I'd try to just go out riding in general more often, rather than focusing on O turns. The more you ride, the more comfortable you are with the bike, the easier the O turns become.

Comment

Originally posted by INTJ View Post
      In theory you can take the L's off and go wherever you want and there would be no reason police would bother you.
      As soon as a cop car sees the bike they'll check the plate on the computer and see that the owner doesn't have a bike licence. Busted.
      One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

And they will check the plate because they know from past experience that a lot of riders are unlicenced.

They even give it as a reason for frequent random roadside vehicle and licence checks.
        The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

Originally posted by Phildo View Post
          As soon as a cop car sees the bike they'll check the plate on the computer and see that the owner doesn't have a bike licence. Busted.
          this is probably the hard part about it as some cop cars have them auto plate cameras. as soon as it picks up the plate it will alert that the owner doesnt have a licence. then its a fairly simple "random" licence check.
          Originally posted by Paraletic
          little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...

Comment

i see lots of guys being taught O's and U's at Ocean Reef Marina top car park, quiet, wide open carpark space, low traffic in the middle, not a bad spot. but you'd probably legally still need proper licensed supervision as its a public carpark to do that and theres the issue of getting there to start with.

maybe paying someone $80 an hour to supervise good motivation to nail the skills with some feedback to correct a bad habit? quality not quantity. on hte other hand if you can hear them getting wound up maybe you should give them feedback its putting you off, you are the customer...

otherwise whats your back yard look like?
            I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

When I lived opposite the Honda Shop after closing time (literally driveway to driveway), I pushed my bike over the road to their car park and did my o-turns and mini e-braking there, then pushed the bike back home when done.

Legally, as an L-plater, you're not allowed to ride the bike on any public road un-shadowed so it's more getting to the areas that's the challenge. Everyone will suggest finding a quiet street, do it out front your house etc but at the end of the day you need to decide if you're willing to accept the risk as they're not wearing it, you are.
              __________________________________________________ ____________
              "No, no. Not Sawyer like the valley. Sour like sweet and sour, only European"

Comment

You can't legally practice anywhere without a shadow, short of private property with permission, and you wouldn't be able to get there without a trailer anyway.

Also, practice your figure 8's. You wont be tested on it but generally its harder to go left than right, and its no good riding around slowly if you can't turn left.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone, I found someone willing to shadow me now with parking lot practice so we can do it the legal way.

Comment

I rocked up to my R class test without a shadow.....
                    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
                      I'm guessing you passed...

And you still have a valid licence..? Just askin' you seem to know a lot about 'public transport..'
                      " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sauer View Post
                        When I lived opposite the Honda Shop after closing time (literally driveway to driveway), I pushed my bike over the road to their car park and did my o-turns and mini e-braking there, then pushed the bike back home when done.
                        Trouble is that even that is considered that you are riding without a licence/unsupervised etc because the carpark is open to the public so you may as well have ridden it over there

Many years ago my brother and his mate got busted for it and they were only sitting on their dirt bikes with engines off on the front verge (after riding home obviously)
                        Didn't really affect my brother much as he didn't have his licence but his mate was on P's and lost his licence
                        #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                        Originally posted by Phildo
                        Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                        Originally posted by filbert
                        i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                        Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                          Trouble is that even that is considered that you are riding without a licence/unsupervised etc because the carpark is open to the public so you may as well have ridden it over there

Many years ago my brother and his mate got busted for it and they were only sitting on their dirt bikes with engines off on the front verge (after riding home obviously)
                          Didn't really affect my brother much as he didn't have his licence but his mate was on P's and lost his licence
                          Being where the Honda Shop Midland is, lots of marked and unmarked WAPOL vehicles drove past and not one stopped to query me.
                          __________________________________________________ ____________
                          "No, no. Not Sawyer like the valley. Sour like sweet and sour, only European"

Comment

Go back streets, I did O-turns just up the road from my place (has a decently wide median) evening/late at night. Hardly likely to have a cop pull up in a residential area unless you're there 1 hour and someone has reported the activity. Risk vs. reward.

Don't think all cars scan, think its only unmarked/highway patrol. Got pulled over a few nights ago and it didn't seem to have scanned my plate as the policeman dialled in and requested a license and plate check.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
                            Mate did the same, reckons its part of the reason he passed.
                            '13 YZF-R1 // '00 RZ Supra // '72 XA Fairmont Sedan (Resto Project)

Comment

move to the eastern states you can ride around on your own on the L's... i was shocked but my mates where like how else would they learn

i was like well in WA......

and just a note on the car park police thing being a expert in the subject as we use to ride 50's all over perth back in the day

you cannot get any kind of license charge in a carpark / skate park type area and 90% of the time the cops wont care unless someone complains which is when they just tell you to move along
                              Last edited by Hillz; 22-01-2018, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X