No announcement yet.

Buying Helmets on EBay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is the point being missed that the helmet distorts and absorbs impact to prevent head injuries..?

Wai..... Brain injuries take very little transfer of energy to cause permanent damage.

Fractures are a common result from helmet impact-- design is to transfer impact to collar bone,and break them to prevent spinal/neck injuries..don't forget whiplash injuries ( which can be fatal)

The jury is no longer out on concussion, either. Just ask an accident victim with a smashed helmet how long it has taken them to feel 'normal' again.

and wot GO said.....regarding manufacturing- notwithstanding outsourced production for profit margin stability in a shrinking market.

My AGV mean $400 mark lasts 2 years before lining and stitching falls to bits..that's 4 in a row now....don't even mention RJays...pfft! I've owned other brands too.. headshape /fit is key..

Is anyone gonna mention the Law change that allows euro std helmets..? and not just AU/NZ std ????
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

Originally posted by El Skitzo View Post
      Good luck talking your way out of a fine with WAPOL if you get pulled up riding with a helmet that doesn't have the AS sticker on it...
      no not true

the rules changed

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Hati View Post
      AS OR ECE sticker and doesn't have to be on the helmet, in the helmet is also fine. My Schuberth has the ECE sticker inside only for example.
      and my GT Air has the label on the strap

Comment

Good luck talking your way out of a fine with WAPOL if you get pulled up riding with a helmet that doesn't have the AS sticker on it...
        The laws have changed. Local retailers like Dale Britton wouldn't be selling top of the line Arai RX-7V with SNELL and ECE22-05 standards if it needed an AS sticker.
        Even racers are no longer required to have AS only standard helmets. SNELL, JIS and EC are all fine. Appendix A: https://www.ma.org.au/licences-rules...%2C%27rules%27
        Last edited by Mr Bean; 26-10-2018, 06:54 PM.
        “How people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.”

Comment

Buying Helmets on EBay

The ECE helmets are a pain in the ass if checked. Most of the time the cops don’t know what to look for (other than an aus standard sticker).

I was pulled over a few weeks (granted here in NSW, but concept applies) for a ‘random’ license check (funny how it was only bikes). Took me 45 minutes of explaining and the help of the googles to prove my Suomy was legal despite not having a sticker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by xrsism View Post
            Ive been pulled up before on the weir rd and the cops checked over my helmet specifically for the AS sticker. It was after a few nasty crashes I think last year. I had an older version and while it passed they still reminded me to change it due to material degredation because of its age. So it does happen.
            This only happens when the cop decides that he/she is going to play I'm a cunt try to prove me wrong while I fuck with you until you snap and give me something to do you for

Comment

I have the changes document in my jacket pocket to save time

Comment

Buying these type of products from a source that can provide no road /safety,knowledge at all.
                Unless your full bottle on all manufacturing process ,yer going blow your coin/brains out.
                There are safety rating sites on the web that can help.
                But where talking, Perth,

Comment

Not so, as Hati says below either standard is fine and Heretic posted the relevant piece of legislation in the post above yours

Originally posted by Hati View Post
                  AS OR ECE sticker and doesn't have to be on the helmet, in the helmet is also fine. My Schuberth has the ECE sticker inside only for example.

Originally posted by GsxInShed View Post
                  Fractures are a common result from helmet impact-- design is to transfer impact to collar bone,and break them to prevent spinal/neck injuries..don't forget whiplash injuries ( which can be fatal)
                  Is anyone gonna mention the Law change that allows euro std helmets..? and not just AU/NZ std ????
                  +1 On it saving your head by transerence of load, I have a collarbone that was broken in 3 places from going head first into the ground but the CB broke, not my neck

As above Heretic posted the relevant legislation

Originally posted by dwillia View Post
                  I have the changes document in my jacket pocket to save time
                  Do this ^^ If you are really worried the cops are going to be arseholes about it As KK said I'd be more worried about the brand and quality of the helmet than who it's purchased off so while I wouldn't have an issue with eBay per se I'd just be wanting to make sure it was a decent brand and fit was correct, I've had a good run with OGK/Kabuto helemts as they fit my head shape and are comfy and well made but only cost around the $450-$550 mark compared to a Shoei/Arai of the same quality
                  #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                  Originally posted by Phildo
                  Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                  Originally posted by filbert
                  i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                  Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

I've bought my last 6 helmets online;

2 x Arai direct for Japan, as you can't get the design here and they worked out about $200 less each. (Both from japan.webike.net)

2 x Arai from the USA, again saving about $200-$300 each. (Motomummy and MotorCycles508)

1 x Icon for Maya form the USA which I found on eBay.

And 1 x AGV from Germany which was about a $500 saving compared to buying it here. (FC-Moto)

There is nothing wrong with buying a helmet overseas and most of the time I use eBay to locate one that I like and then go direct to the shop's website as opposed to buying through their eBay store, saving ~5% again as you're not paying the bay commission.

Provided you buy a known, reputable brand, there are literally hundreds of shops selling them online, it's quite easy to find what you are after without risking non-delivery or imitation product.

As for safety, one of the Arai's I purchased was the one I had my massive crash in on the track, 200kph head first into the tarmac.

EDIT: 7 helmets from overseas, bought a Lorenzo Xlite while in Singapore, but walked into a shop and grabbed that one.

Double EDIT: 8 Helmets from overseas, another one of Maya's Arai's was from Motomummy.
                    Last edited by TurboR1; 27-10-2018, 12:55 PM.
                    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

As above - if you have had say, an Aari in the past and know a large fits your scone, go nuts. But if you're selecting one off the net without knowing if it fits your head shape then it's a bit of a lottery. If I bought say, a Bell or a Shoei off the net without knowing anything about their fit I'd have to on-sell it because they just don't fit my scone (Bell don't always have cut outs for four eyes, and I must have a cone head cos it feels like Shoei's don't fit snugly around the top of my head). Also things like weight, venting, wind noise etc to consider - though granted the last two can't really be tested until you go for a ride.

Comment

Name brand Fake helmets are a thing, a big thing. FAKE branded everything online is a big thing. if you shop online from overseas you'd want to be real sure about who you are dealing with, including helmets that have a "sticker". Its just a sticker. Can you spot a fake?? I think not, well not until its too far late.

example : https://www.morebikes.co.uk/51444/wa...lmets-on-sale/

I bought an ALDI helmet because I wanted a budget helmet for my budget sportsbike, trust the brand and it had an accreditation sticker and a warranty and a return policy and a shop up the road. I got exactly what I paid for.

And yep, my head is worth $79.95. Every cent of it And it fits well.
                        Last edited by Heretic; 27-10-2018, 12:00 PM.
                        I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Well, if you think a $160 Arai is legit, chances are you don't have much to protect in the first place. And it would be best for everyone if you did buy it and tested it immediately.
                          Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
                            Well, if you think a $160 Arai is legit, chances are you don't have much to protect in the first place. And it would be best for everyone if you did buy it and tested it immediately.
                            [emoji38]

Comment

I have a fake internet connection from fake Telstra so I can buy fake everything from a fake Ebay.

So hard to tell the real from the ..... you guessed it.....

It's OK.... I use a fake account and fake funds transfer.

As for Arai helmets..pfftt. Are they made in China or Taiwan for Arai..? Nup!!

Handmade by the family business in Japan. Yet they are relatively inexpensive...
                              " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

I have a $100 eBay Aari, and after my crash it protected me from severe brain damageamageamage
                                Rest in Peace

Comment

Working...
                                X