Buying Helmets on EBay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Helmets on EBay

I'm in the market for a new lid and was rather surprised to see how cheap they are on EBay.

Some of the cheaper ones, however, made no mention of AS1698, so Ive asked the question. I'm not sure whether it's legal to sell lids that don't meet Australian Standards, so we'll see what they say.

Does anyone else have experience with buying lids online?

I've bought a few over the years. I wouldn't be looking at the cheapo ones decent brands only, and if you're wanting the AS1698 sticker your going to need to get it from an Au. Store

Comment

You can get brand names cheaper online. Don't worry about the sticker....the EU labels are on the strap

Comment

You don't need an Australian Standards helmet. The last 4 helmets I've bought locally haven't come with one. I'm not even sure AS1698 exists anymore. What standard does it comply to?
        “How people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.”

Comment

I’d be incredibly surprised if the AU standard was different to the EU standard.

Yje AU sticker is just another way retailers try to prevent competitive pricing

Comment

My mum's partner has a few off ebay but they're about as strong as cardboard, so stick with brand names

Comment

It's the vibe of the thing... https://www.legislation.gov.au/Detai...Statement/Text
              “How people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.”

Comment

I've bought a couple of lids from the states, not ebay stores but rather online sellers.
                Ultimately it's your head and you can do what you like. I don't subscribe to the "How much is your head worth" argument as good lids can be had for $250-350 all day from US stores, though I wouldn't wear a $50 helmet.
                Originally posted by Desmo
                Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

https://www.rsc.wa.gov.au/Your-Safet...lmet-Standards

"To ensure that your protective helmet is compliant with the Western Australian legal standards and types, look for identifying marks on the helmet, such as a sewn-in label and, on 2010 or later helmets, a compliance sticker. All helmets must be marked to show that they comply with the relevant Australian Standard (i.e. AS 1698:1988 or AS/NZS 1698:2006) or UN ECE 22.05.

For helmets that comply with UN ECE 22.05, the helmet must bear a label displaying an international approval mark. Look for a label sewn into the retention system of the helmet.
                  The mark is in a form of a circle surrounding the letter ‘E’, followed by the distinguishing number of the country in which the testing and certification was approved. The number on the right of the ‘E’, therefore, may vary from one model of helmet to another (e.g. 2=France, 3=Italy).

The mark must also have information concerning the actual standard with which it applies (i.e. 05 is the ECE 22.05 standard and is followed by the approval number issued in the respective country), the type of helmet (i.e. P is ‘protective’ and J signifies ‘Jet’ style open face approval) and its production serial number.
                  "

My $79.95 ALDI full face has the AS standard sticker.
                  I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Good luck talking your way out of a fine with WAPOL if you get pulled up riding with a helmet that doesn't have the AS sticker on it...

Comment

Originally posted by El Skitzo View Post
                      Good luck talking your way out of a fine with WAPOL if you get pulled up riding with a helmet that doesn't have the AS sticker on it...
                      Regarding that.. I'm curious as to how many people have been busted for wearing a non-compliant helmet.

Comment

Chuck Steak as others have mentioned before how much do you value your head, I would buy the highest quality helmet you can afford because you cannot repair an head injury.
                        I know of a number of friends who have had very bad accidents and have no head injuries because they were wearing expensive helmets.
                        Just my opinion.
                        Tp.

Comment

Originally posted by El Skitzo View Post
                          AS OR ECE sticker and doesn't have to be on the helmet, in the helmet is also fine. My Schuberth has the ECE sticker inside only for example.

Comment

Given that helmets arent manufactured in Australia, they are all imported and so the only diffrence between say an AGV or Shoei four a euro market or fot the Australian market is the sticker itself.

Our stickers must provide some amazing additional protective qualities that thise EU stickers cant

Comment

Ive been pulled up before on the weir rd and the cops checked over my helmet specifically for the AS sticker. It was after a few nasty crashes I think last year. I had an older version and while it passed they still reminded me to change it due to material degredation because of its age. So it does happen.
                              Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

Comment

Working...
                              X