No announcement yet.

Chain Maintenance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been using Inox pretty infrequently because I don't like my current gearing and will be happy when its all out of shape and I can get new chain and sprockets. I haven't adjusted the chain or cleaned the back wheel in over 12,000km.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by Hillz View Post
      im pretty sure 95% of memebers here have shares in chain & or lube companys, never have a seen a bunch of people so concerned about a consumable item.

run the bastard till its noisey then spray with WD40 as needed.. replace when stretched beyond adjusters.... ive never cleaned a chain in my life
      With your really dirty chain do your regular commute or ride and check fuel economy...

Then put the bike on a stand and spin the back wheel to see how easy it turns...

Now thoroughly clean your chain and lube it...

Now do your same commute or ride and note fuel economy...

You will get better fuel economy, and if you are getting better fuel economy you are getting better power to the ground...

Now I’m also of the “fucked if I’m cleaning a chain all the time” thinking, this is why I tested and proved to myself that WD40 or such is the way to go as it lubes adequately whilst keeping the chain clean...

Comment

Yeah WD40 is what I've been using for years now, ever since switching from belt drive Buells to 'Busas. Swear by it. Keeps the chain clean, and takes 20 seconds once every 2 tanks of fuel.
        Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
          With your really dirty chain do your regular commute or ride and check fuel economy...

Then put the bike on a stand and spin the back wheel to see how easy it turns...

Now thoroughly clean your chain and lube it...

Now do your same commute or ride and note fuel economy...

You will get better fuel economy, and if you are getting better fuel economy you are getting better power to the ground...

Now I’m also of the “fucked if I’m cleaning a chain all the time” thinking, this is why I tested and proved to myself that WD40 or such is the way to go as it lubes adequately whilst keeping the chain clean...
          Makes perfect sense except my bike hasn’t got a bloody centrestsnd.
          Presumably I need one of those external stand thingos but where do you get them from and are they model specific?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Steak View Post
            Makes perfect sense except my bike hasn’t got a bloody centrestsnd.
            Presumably I need one of those external stand thingos but where do you get them from and are they model specific?
            Some are generic. Some are specific, like for single swing arm bikes. Just make sure you match the pickups with what your bike has (bobbins etc).
            You can also get away with a trolley jack depending on the type of bike (and your risk tolerance).

After a good chain clean/lube you might just notice the improvement by taking note how it rides before and after.
            __________________________________________________ ____________
            "No, no. Not Sawyer like the valley. Sour like sweet and sour, only European"

Comment

I have a Paddock/race stand most are pretty universal...adjustment is via the lifting lugs. If the bike is heavy ....Busa...I use a block of wood under the side stand to bring the bike almost vertical. This helps the lifting lugs locate with the spools evenly so when you push down on the stand it doesnt slip or make any clunks that can lead to needing fresh underwear.
              Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Its not hard to walk it up the driveway cleaning/oiling the lower chain away from tyre and sprockets. Lubes the drive too. Win!
                The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

I will pull the bike over on the side stand and balance it on my side while spinning the wheel with one hand and spraying with the other...

Comment

Originally posted by Sauer View Post
                    Some are generic. Some are specific, like for single swing arm bikes. Just make sure you match the pickups with what your bike has (bobbins etc).
                    You can also get away with a trolley jack depending on the type of bike (and your risk tolerance).

After a good chain clean/lube you might just notice the improvement by taking note how it rides before and after.
                    Yeah it’s a bit weird riding a chain driven bike after riding shafties for so long. You really notice the chain snatch at low revs. It’s not bad and I’m sure it’s perfectly normal, just noticeable

Comment

i do it after every 1000 kms , kerosene is best for cleaning , diesel second best .apply with brush do not leave it more than a few mins then clean with compressed air to push gunk it out and wipe with clean rag . apply chain lube (i use motul) and you good to go...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Steak View Post
                        Yeah it’s a bit weird riding a chain driven bike after riding shafties for so long. You really notice the chain snatch at low revs. It’s not bad and I’m sure it’s perfectly normal, just noticeable
                        I have only ridden chain driven bikes
                        __________________________________________________ ____________
                        "No, no. Not Sawyer like the valley. Sour like sweet and sour, only European"

Comment

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...gment=1&page=1

I've picked myself up one of these last week. Yet to give it a go but looks foolproof to me. Not sure how it will go getting the bike off but should be straightforward. Hopefully saves pulling out the paddock stand every week for just a regular chain lube.

Comment

Originally posted by jlenard View Post

I've picked myself up one of these last week. Yet to give it a go but looks foolproof to me. Not sure how it will go getting the bike off but should be straightforward. Hopefully saves pulling out the paddock stand every week for just a regular chain lube.
                            Are you on commission? I just bought one...
                            The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
                            G T

Comment

I've trained my wife to walk next to the bike as I wheel it out of the shed spraying the chain with Inox. Its like a Scott Oiler but it cooks as well.
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by jlenard View Post

I don’t get it. What does it do?

Comment

Working...
                                X