X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Steak
    started a topic Chain Maintenance

Chain Maintenance

Right I’ve just got myself a chain driven bike for about the first time in 20 years. How often do I lubricate it and with what? Presumably we’ve moved on from the occasional squirt with WD40

• Green Trident
    replied
    Originally posted by jlenard View Post
    https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...gment=1&page=1

I've picked myself up one of these last week. Yet to give it a go but looks foolproof to me. Not sure how it will go getting the bike off but should be straightforward. Hopefully saves pulling out the paddock stand every week for just a regular chain lube.
    Originally posted by Green Trident View Post
    It's no bloody use when you got a flat rear tyre...
    I can now tell you they work a treat when there's air in the tyre, very smooth and easy to turn the wheel.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Steak
    replied
    Originally posted by filbert View Post
    You put it in front of or behind your rear tyre then roll the bike onto it in the direction you've chosen, once the bike is sitting on the rollers you can lean it back over onto the side stand and the rollers allow you to rotate the rear wheel for cleaning or maintenance.
    Found a better option at Supercheap. A proper paddock stand for $115. It’s called an Aluminium Motorcycle Stand. Sorted

Leave a comment:

• TurboR1
    replied

I've picked myself up one of these last week. Yet to give it a go but looks foolproof to me. Not sure how it will go getting the bike off but should be straightforward. Hopefully saves pulling out the paddock stand every week for just a regular chain lube.
    Curious to know how one would go sitting on their bike with the rear wheel on that and then putting it in gear and letting rip. At a guess, it would be ok until you exceeded 20kph for any period over 10 seconds before it gets launched out the back and you launch yourself and pride and joy though the back wall of your garage and end up in the kitchen.

"Hi!!! I'm Johnny Knoxville and this is bike launch".

Leave a comment:

• Goliath
    replied
    Originally posted by Para045 View Post
    +100 I love my SO, current chain/sprockets are @ ~80 000km's old and the chain has only been adjusted ~1/2 the way so far and runs smooth
    Honestly I don't understand why motorcycles arn't fitted with autolubers right out of the factory. I never need to clean my chain and the chain lasts at least twice as long. My autolubers amortice after 20Mm.

Leave a comment:

• Para045
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Green Trident
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Green Trident
    replied

Clicked and collected, they're a clearance item and stocks are getting low. It looks good and is rated to 225Kg, so it may well handle a bit more than that.

Leave a comment:

• Para045
    replied
    Scottoiler messy but effective, very effective.
    +100 I love my SO, current chain/sprockets are @ ~80 000km's old and the chain has only been adjusted ~1/2 the way so far and runs smooth

Leave a comment:

• jlenard
    replied
    When you don't have a nice flat concrete driveway readily available...yes it is.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bean
    replied
    I'd still want to use a front wheel chock to hold the bike upright and steady.

Is it really that difficult to pull out the rear stand once a week?

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Steak
    replied
    Originally posted by filbert View Post
    You put it in front of or behind your rear tyre then roll the bike onto it in the direction you've chosen, once the bike is sitting on the rollers you can lean it back over onto the side stand and the rollers allow you to rotate the rear wheel for cleaning or maintenance.
    Gotcha. Not a bad idea

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Steak View Post
    I don’t get it. What does it do?

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Steak
    replied

I don’t get it. What does it do?

Leave a comment:

• agrid
    replied
    I've trained my wife to walk next to the bike as I wheel it out of the shed spraying the chain with Inox. Its like a Scott Oiler but it cooks as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X