Belt Drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
    *rides secondhand bike that is at least 10 years old, probably has original belt, belt breaks = belt drives are shit. Cool story bro.

The problem with spruking shaft or belt drives is that both are used on shit motorcycles. Apart from shaft drives looking shit and being heavy, I'm not sure I've ever seen one used on a desirable motorcycle. They are reserved for big tourers and police bikes. Basically bikes for people who want an arm chair instead of excitement.

Change my mind. Can anyone show me an exciting motorcycle with a shaft drive?
    V-Max.

Comment

This one. Was exciting when the uni joint exploded at plus 200.

Hey there, Hey fella.

Comment

Originally posted by Water pig View Post
        I've blown diffs before so by your logic shaft drives are shit, I've seen chains snap, and belts let go. With the right amount of abuse and neglect everything breaks. You should have been able to tell the bike you were about to test was a fully fucked out piece of crap, just by looking at it before you hopped on it you fucking peanut
        Motorcycles don’t have diffs fuckwit. It’s called a final drive. And those three pieces of shit listed on your profile don’t have shafts. I think the only shaft you know anything about is the one you’ve got your hand on at the moment. But if your point is that I’m a peanut for expecting anything different from something engineered in Milwaukee point taken
        Last edited by Chuck Steak; 20-12-2018, 04:48 PM.

Comment

*rides secondhand bike that is at least 10 years old, probably has original belt, belt breaks = belt drives are shit. Cool story bro.

The problem with spruking shaft or belt drives is that both are used on shit motorcycles. Apart from shaft drives looking shit and being heavy, I'm not sure I've ever seen one used on a desirable motorcycle. They are reserved for big tourers and police bikes. Basically bikes for people who want an arm chair instead of excitement.

Moto Guzzi 850 Le Mans III. Finest high speed handling bike I’ve ever ridden. The faster you go the better it feels. You could be cranked over in a high speed sweeper at 180 kmh and it would track like it was on rails. No Jap bike I’ve ridden is its equal in that regard. Not saying there isn’t one but in 1983 it was miles ahead of its Japanese counterparts. And certainly falls in the category of excitement. They came in mostly red but there were a few in a pearl white. Still I reckon the sexiest looking motorcycle ever made

http://www.bikesales.com.au/bikes/de...SSE-AD-5559812

Also 1978 Castrol 6 hour won by an R90S. But yes, in general shafts are the domain of touring bikes. When you’re doing long distances low maintenance is everything. I’ve owned my R100RS since 1986 and done hundreds of thousands of klicks on it and the final drive is the only part of the bloody bike that hasn’t been rebuilt.
          Last edited by Chuck Steak; 20-12-2018, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Yeah and 35 years ago the best way to listen to music on the go was with a walkman, as carrying a gramophone about would give you a sore neck.

The planet has moved on.
            Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
              Yeah and 35 years ago the best way to listen to music on the go was with a walkman, as carrying a gramophone about would give you a sore neck.

The planet has moved on.
              Yeah. Like I just said.

Comment

Belt Drives..?

How do you train 'em to do that..?

Mine barely holds my pants up......
                " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

Originally posted by gus96
                  spotto for sure
                  Fuck off back to the 80's
                  Go back to primary school and learn to read fuckwit. Oh wait, you’re not old enough yet. Get back to me when you graduate from fucking nappies and learn to wipe your arse

Comment

Originally posted by gus96
                    spotto for sure
                    Fuck off back to the 80's
                    Originally posted by Chuck Steak View Post
                    Go back to primary school and learn to read fuckwit. Oh wait, you’re not old enough yet. Get back to me when you graduate from fucking nappies and learn to wipe your arse
                    Now we're just getting nasty again.

Xmas... the time for giving... of abuse.

But the 80's did suck.
                    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Originally posted by GsxInShed View Post
                      Belt Drives..?

How do you train 'em to do that..?

Mine barely holds my pants up......
                      I’m fucked if I know why any vehicle has belts as part of a critical mechanical system. The reason I prefer European cars over Jap cars is that they use cam chains and not belts that need to be changed. Had a belt go in Mitsi Ute once. Scratch one fucking engine

Comment

Have you ever ridden any?
                        They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

I’m fucked if I know why any vehicle has belts as part of a critical mechanical system.
                          As does every Ducati owner every second financially crippling service.

Comment

I’m fucked if I know why any vehicle has belts as part of a critical mechanical system. The reason I prefer European cars over Jap cars is that they use cam chains and not belts that need to be changed. Had a belt go in Mitsi Ute once. Scratch one fucking engine
                            My VW GTI had cam chain tensioner failure, it's a known issue. The latest model has gone belt drive with no reported issues, so Euro cars aren't exclusively chain driven

Comment

There are actually a few reasons, all have pros and cons. Everything is a compromise. Belts have a much larger tolerance to vibration and small changes in tension or distance between drive and drive gear. The rubber can expand and contract with heat and the belt naturally absorbs vibration without any undue stress. Compared to chains, which once stretched its never coming back. Or if a chain gets loose, well then you drop a tooth or it shears gears. Dropping a tooth on a cam chain can be just as disastrous as a timing belt going.

The most prolific general aviation helicopter company Robinson, their R22 and R44 helicopters....well literally the ONLY thing driving the rotor blade/tail rotor is....yup belts. They handle the vibrations and harmonics of a helicopter without any direct drive-line backlash that could damage gearboxes/engine. Just an inbuilt shock absorber in the driveline. The belts are ALOT lighter than any kind of clutch system that would need to be built in, and in small aircraft weight is everything.

If i were to hazard a guess. Harley Davidsons have a belt final drive for similar reasons. They are really good at converting fuel to vibrations and thats about it. Having a belt drive would give some dampening to the driveline and it is also light and cheap to build.

Chains are obviously a lot stronger, but they dont absorb environmental (vibrations and shit) or lack of maintenance issues...People think belts are maintenance free, which is just a lie some salesman has said and been regurgitated. Belts need to be looked after and inspected just like chains. You just dont lube a belt.

And shaft drive? Well they are inefficient, heavy and require more maintenance than belts and chains. Engine output needs to be re-directed 90 degrees, then at the rear wheel needs to be changed direction 90 degrees again. This at the very least robs a whole bunch of power from getting to the real wheel...and then there is the weight and added complexity. A shaft drive bike will put a lot more load on the engine and clutches....

if you dont care about weight and want parts protected well shaft driven works. Also stupidly strong..... Read BMW GS1200. No fast bikes have shaft drive because fast and the excess weight of a shaft drive...well bike isnt fast anymore. Although I would say the Suzuki Boulevards (1800's) are exciting, I like sports bikes. But those things are exciting in a "I ride in straight lines, turns scare me" way.

In summary... Exciting motorcycle = fast bike/bike turns good. Shaft drive = heavy. Bike no longer turn good. Asking someone to change your mind is a little ignorant on the compromises of the 3 drive lines. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses, they just get used in different applications. Nothing wrong with belt drives, if they are good enough for helicopters they are good enough for bikes and cam belts.

NOTE (Yes I know the ATSB has a report on the R22/R44's belt failures. The belt failures are all due to Lack of Maintenance...even in the aviation world people think belts are maintenance free)

Comment

^^^ Take your facts and logic and GFTO...

Comment

Working...
                                X