Belt Drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt Drives

A couple of years ago I was extolling the virtues of shaft drives on this forum and some dopey twat said that belt drives were the best because they didn’t require the maintenance of chains and they never break.
    Well, I’ve done hundreds of thousands of Kays on shafties, and never had a problem. I’ve owned chain driven bikes in the past and the maintenance and cost of replacement has at times been a pain in the arse but they’ve never let me down.
    Since I love big twins I thought I’d take a Buell for a ride today. 2km from the shop and the bloody belt snapped. I always knew they were a stupid fucking idea. A chain or a shaft will do me from now on

Cool
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Originally posted by Phildo
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Originally posted by filbert
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Story...

Comment

Fat dog
        “How people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.”

Comment

Ccccccombo breaker...

Comment

why am i reading this?

Comment

5 star thread. Would read again.

Comment

I've blown diffs before so by your logic shaft drives are shit, I've seen chains snap, and belts let go. With the right amount of abuse and neglect everything breaks. You should have been able to tell the bike you were about to test was a fully fucked out piece of crap, just by looking at it before you hopped on it you fucking peanut

Comment

I knew a fat bastard who snapped his belt....his trousers fell down then
                  Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

*rides secondhand bike that is at least 10 years old, probably has original belt, belt breaks = belt drives are shit. Cool story bro.

The problem with spruking shaft or belt drives is that both are used on shit motorcycles. Apart from shaft drives looking shit and being heavy, I'm not sure I've ever seen one used on a desirable motorcycle. They are reserved for big tourers and police bikes. Basically bikes for people who want an arm chair instead of excitement.

Change my mind. Can anyone show me an exciting motorcycle with a shaft drive?
                    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

Originally posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
                      *rides secondhand bike that is at least 10 years old, probably has original belt, belt breaks = belt drives are shit. Cool story bro.

The problem with spruking shaft or belt drives is that both are used on shit motorcycles. Apart from shaft drives looking shit and being heavy, I'm not sure I've ever seen one used on a desirable motorcycle. They are reserved for big tourers and police bikes. Basically bikes for people who want an arm chair instead of excitement.

You can take my XJ900 Diversion for a spirited run down O’Briens...

It will be “exciting”, your heart will be racing...

Comment

Originally posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
                        They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
                          You can take my XJ900 Diversion for a spirited run down O’Briens...

It will be “exciting”, your heart will be racing...
                          Not desirable just terrifying.

Originally posted by chew View Post
                          Interesting though not desirable.
                          EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

Comment

NOPE. Granted, it's the best of a bad lot but just being weird doesn't make something desirable unless you're a pervert. Air cooled, pistons go the wrong way, and a German styling department. That one piece tank cover and side fairing makes me want to barf. No BMW has ever given someone wood no matter how well it functions. If you got hard over the stroke face S1000RR it's because you have an invalid fetish from seeing your gran in the bath as a child.

Comment

Working...
                              X