Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

speedos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • speedos

    Does anyone know if it is legal to use a speedometer that is calibrated in MPH, in Australia? If I buy a speedo from the USA can I use it on the bike I'm restoring, the model that was exported to Australia had a KMH speedo. The bike is a Yamaha SR 250, 1981

  • #2
    One of my bikes was an official import from the US (complete with compliance sticker), so the speedo is in miles but it does have the km/h markings as well in smaller print. I know the importer had to change the headlights so they match right hand drive spread but as far as I am aware it needed nothing else done. It was 10 years ago though so YMMW.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Lizzie View Post
      Does anyone know if it is legal to use a speedometer that is calibrated in MPH, in Australia? If I buy a speedo from the USA can I use it on the bike I'm restoring, the model that was exported to Australia had a KMH speedo. The bike is a Yamaha SR 250, 1981
      I doubt it given it wasn't imported and compliance that way
      #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
      Originally posted by Phildo
      Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
      Originally posted by filbert
      i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

      98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
      Ozblackbird.net Administrator

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Lizzie
        Does anyone know
        Originally posted by Para045
        I doubt it
        Sooo... you don't actually know?

        Comment


        • #5
          An easy way to find out might be to contact an American car enthusiasts club. There are a heap of RHD cars over here, mostly mustangs. They’d know

          Comment


          • #6
            Just do it. Who's gonna know?
            -

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by agrid View Post
              Just do it. Who's gonna know?
              i agree..thats the best approach..
              but it definitely won't pass the inspection if bike needs one to get it registered. another problem would be the genuine odometer reading as its illegal to alter the odometer . BUT , if its registered and plated then slap the sucker on and enjoy..

              Comment


              • #8
                A mph speedo is as accurate as a kph speedo.
                Adjust your head not to have the needle on big numbers.
                In the legal sense the bike will not pass a pit inspection.
                It was not imported originally so it must have a kph speedo and as we had been using kph for a few years by 1981.
                If it does not need a pit inspection, fitting a mph speedo will be ok as long as you do the head conversion of your speed.
                I wouldn’t use, “My speedo is in mph not kph” as an excuse for speeding.
                You’ll get the fine and a yellow sticker.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by pnork View Post
                  Sooo... you don't actually know?
                  No not for sure as I'm just an avg person on a forum trying to offer helpful advice not a lawyer, engineer or work for DOT, though saying that even going to the DOT will give you differing opinions as many threads on here regarding things like helmet laws and FE's will prove Hell no one can say for sure whether putting a slip-on can onto a LAMS bike will definitely make it non LAMS

                  It's a fucking minefield out there when it comes to anything non standard given the disparity between Federal ADR's and laws and state laws and regs
                  Even a new bike can be given a yellow sticker as being non compliant in the eyes of a cop so I don't believe anyone can know for sure so my comment was as close as I believe you'll get without a lawyers opinion or written directive from the DOT



                  Originally posted by GreenMeanie View Post
                  A mph speedo is as accurate as a kph speedo.
                  Adjust your head not to have the needle on big numbers.
                  In the legal sense the bike will not pass a pit inspection.
                  It was not imported originally so it must have a kph speedo and as we had been using kph for a few years by 1981.
                  If it does not need a pit inspection, fitting a mph speedo will be ok as long as you do the head conversion of your speed.
                  I wouldn’t use, “My speedo is in mph not kph” as an excuse for speeding.
                  You’ll get the fine and a yellow sticker.
                  +1, a lot longer and more involved but essentially what I said briefly
                  #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                  Originally posted by Phildo
                  Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                  Originally posted by filbert
                  i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

                  98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                  Ozblackbird.net Administrator

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Take photo of kph speedo face.
                    Print onto thick photo paper.
                    Cut crescent shape of the numbers and stick on speedo glass. I did this for a 70's guzzi and it passed the pits.
                    Hey there, Hey fella.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by AZAZL View Post
                      Take photo of kph speedo face.
                      Print onto thick photo paper.
                      Cut crescent shape of the numbers and stick on speedo glass. I did this for a 70's guzzi and it passed the pits.
                      I suppose if he has an original speedo in kmh he could do that or even get a speedo company to swap the faces over
                      I guess is the reason he's wanting to use a Mph speedo in the 1st place?

                      There is also these > eBay.com YAMAHA SR185 SR250 SR400 SR500 SPEEDOMETER


                      eBay.com YAMAHA CAFE RACER SR185 SR250 SR400 SR500 SPEEDOMETER TACHOMETER


                      eBay.com YAMAHA CAFE RACER SR185 SR250 SR400 SR500 SPEEDOMETER TACHOMETER


                      This one also says it's compatible with a 1981 SR250
                      #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                      Originally posted by Phildo
                      Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                      Originally posted by filbert
                      i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

                      98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                      Ozblackbird.net Administrator

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Now this is a bit strange, CMNSL.com and other places show 2 round speedos/tachos yet Ron Ayers shows a D shaped speedo/tacho

                        Which one is it?

                        EDIT: Found this fiche and looks like it's a D shape
                        #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                        Originally posted by Phildo
                        Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                        Originally posted by filbert
                        i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

                        98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                        Ozblackbird.net Administrator

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                          No not for sure as I'm just an avg person on a forum trying to offer helpful advice not a lawyer, engineer or work for DOT, though saying that even going to the DOT will give you differing opinions as many threads on here regarding things like helmet laws and FE's will prove Hell no one can say for sure whether putting a slip-on can onto a LAMS bike will definitely make it non LAMS

                          It's a fucking minefield out there when it comes to anything non standard given the disparity between Federal ADR's and laws and state laws and regs
                          Even a new bike can be given a yellow sticker as being non compliant in the eyes of a cop so I don't believe anyone can know for sure so my comment was as close as I believe you'll get without a lawyers opinion or written directive from the DOT





                          +1, a lot longer and more involved but essentially what I said briefly
                          The process is far more cumbersome than it should be. I’ve found it utterly impossible to talk to s DIT inspector on the phone and get detailed information. You’d think it’d be a service they’d offer as it’s in everyone’s interest if you turn up with your bike in spec

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            A couple of universal ones, would they work?

                            https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-M...p~G:rk:75:pf:0

                            https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Mot...yXt:rk:78:pf:0



                            Originally posted by Chuck Steak View Post
                            The process is far more cumbersome than it should be. I’ve found it utterly impossible to talk to s DIT inspector on the phone and get detailed information. You’d think it’d be a service they’d offer as it’s in everyone’s interest if you turn up with your bike in spec
                            Service? WAPOL used to be called a service now it's a force as that's all they know

                            It's not much better with DOT even if you are face to face! I had a DOT person arguing black and blue they knew more than the engineer that had certified my LPG conversion many years back before it got escalated to the Office of Energy
                            #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                            Originally posted by Phildo
                            Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                            Originally posted by filbert
                            i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

                            98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                            Ozblackbird.net Administrator

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Being an 81 this should be straightforward. I have a second hand US import and it has a KMH clock face superimposed over the MPH face. So the speedo reads K's and the odometer reads miles.


                              Edit, you now have the opportunity to get the instrument serviced at the same time.
                              Last edited by Green Trident; 06-01-2019, 06:03 PM.
                              The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
                              G T

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X